Sold 3DS games with dumped saves - I fucked up

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lisreal2401, May 13, 2015.

1. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    So I sold two 3DS games I wanted keep the save files for. Both these save files were from online games that I still plan on playing. Problem is, I forgot to delete the saves from the carts before I sold the games. In the event the buyer doesn't delete the saves and plays online, what happens to them? Are the save files effectively separate from eachother or will they get an error code? I took the saves and installed them to my CIA versions of both games and they work just fine. I'm more worried now I screwed over the buyer :(

2. zuxicovp

zuxicovp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2015
    United States
    You'll be fine. The saves aren't linked at all

3. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Chances are they won't work on their system. Especially if the game requires savedata from the SD card. You have it, they don't. So when they try to load up your profile it'll read CORRUPT SAVEDATA and ask to reformat. Or it would simply not show at all...

Anyone tried this?

Chances are, you'll be fine. You have the original savedata on your system. They don't. Card will "reset" on their system.

4. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    If I remember correctly, most saves are saved in the SD Card in the 3DS and not in the games themselves, barring exceptions. What games are they?

5. InfoFront

InfoFront Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    United States
    The Card2 games I think - Pokemon X, Y, OR, AS, Animal Crossing, and Tamagotchi Life.

6. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    No, not at all. Only for eShop games.

There are a couple exceptions - Tomodachi Life scolds you for using a different 3DS (but you *can* do it still and keep your save), and I think Theatrhythm Curtain Call requires the extdata. Every other cartridge-based game I've come across can be used on another system without losing your data, meaning the data isn't stored on the SD. Games like Pokémon just recreate the extdata from the save if it's not there already.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    and fantasy life also stores its save in extdata, but most games only store "optional data" like smash bros replays and stuff like that in extdata