softmodding FAT PS2 without any disk drive involved

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by ahackerjack, Aug 6, 2015.

1. ahackerjack
    OP

ahackerjack Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Egypt
    is there anyway I can do that ?? I own a fat ps2 and I haven't been using it for a very long time I decided to use it again this days but the disk drive is completely damaged , the lens isn't reading the disks at all and no place in my country to fix that and I can't even find a spare parts , so is there anyway to mod it with just a thumb drive and a memory card ??

2. NeroAngelo

NeroAngelo Clueless Importer

Dec 31, 2003
    Libya
    sadly i think even the Memory Card method would require you to at least boot an original PSX game once :S

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    from what i know and understand
    you can install free mc boot using another ps2 (it is installed on a memory card) ... and launch it on your ps2
    you can also put an HDD wich requires an ethernet adapter, i am not really sure, but for this method i think you don't require anything else...

4. ahackerjack
    OP

ahackerjack Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Egypt
    Yeah I read I just read about this on another forum , I have a friend that owns a modded ps2 with free mcboot , I am going to test out his memory card on my system , if it works I am going to buy a new memory card (since my old one doesn't work anymore) and I am going to to mod it , Thanks everyone

5. rusty shackleford

rusty shackleford Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2012
    United States
    If you cant find somebody to mod your memory card with their softmodded ps2 you can install FHDB on a hard drive if you have a network adapter. You'll just need a way to hook up an IDE hard drive to your computer via usb.