So you want a new computer...

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Rydian, Nov 15, 2012.

Nov 15, 2012

So you want a new computer... by Rydian at 4:43 AM (4,547 Views / 3 Likes) 24 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    So you want a new computer...

You're here because you want a new computer, eh? Well, depending on your needs there's a couple factors to take into consideration. After all, you need to get your money's worth, and get a computer that will meet your needs.

1. Intro
    2. Your Needs
    3. Brand
    4. Parts
    5. Building
    6. Research
    7. Apple/Macs
    8. Linux

Your Needs
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Brand

Parts

Building

Research

Mac or PC?

Linux

Changelog
    Note: I've given Originality specific permission to copy parts of this guide for his, so if his ever comes out and it's got copies of stuff from this one, that's fine.[/list]

triassic911, DCG and Daidude like this.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Mine pretty much got benched due to certain parts that I cannot find good sources for confirmation (e.g. The effects of using an overpowered PSU on a low power system). It basically has 3 parts to it - the theory (which is close to what you have above), the specifics (actually listing specific parts lists for different builds), and the technical side (for enthusiasts with special needs/questions). SLI/CrossFire also fell into the latter parts.

One comment on your guide, the quoted explanation for AMD graphics model numbers is slightly wrong. The difference between a 5870 and 5850 is that the xx70 has all of its stream processors enabled, where as the xx50 disables one or two clusters from the design to keep down costs. How it keeps down costs is far too technical for anybody to care, but the same thing applies to the xx30 in the series, which is always released late to fill a gap in price points. On the other hand, the xx90 (e.g. 4890) is a late revision of flagship designs to increase processing power and acts as a stop gap between series (e.g. Before HD5 series came out). That said, it changed with the HD5 and HD6 series, where it became the number that signified dual GPU designs (switching from the HD4870X2 to HD6990).

Also, you left one detail out from the needs section. Portability. If they need a standalone workstation (desktop), a mobile workstation (laptop) or a travelling access point (as in, spending lots of time away from the wall with no heavy needs) using tablets. Especially with the release of Windows 8, there have been a surge of new designs in the tablet market aimed at reinventing the way people look at laptops and tablets. The Lenovo Yoga is one such example.

3. Rydian
    OP

United States
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2624/3
    That's Anandtech's "Debunking Power Supply Myths" article, page three there has the PSU efficiency charts you probably want.

Eh, I'll just change it to be a general guide on how to read model numbers, to be more future-proof too.

Right, portability... but at this point Windows 8 and Windows R/T on tablets haven't proven themselves, so I'm going to wait until it's shown it's not going to be a Windows Phone scenario...

4. Ubuntuの刀

Member Ubuntuの刀 :^D

United States
    Rydian, for as long as ive used GBATemp, you always make epic guides. I swear, all your threads need an immediate sticky.

5. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i have to butt in on the mac better for art stuff. it is actually better for design in that everything across devices displays consistent colors and gamma, so the red i see on my mac is the same red my colleagues see on theirs and the same luminosity. the consistent color display across hardware makes it easy for graphic applications to manage colors and give you a closer approximation of how your images, movies, rendering etc will look on other devices or media that are well calibrated.

this is harder to achieve in pc with so many variables. but even if you run windows on a mac you'll have better results because all the drivers and profiles will be included in bootcamp with correct adjustments.

also things are rendered nicer. for example this page on safari on mac looks better than on safari on windows.

with that said, i don't ever recommend macs to anyone that can't afford them.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Barring interpolation of colours (which is more likely to be a problem for certain types of fairly obscure programming) proper colourspaces and monitors are readily available for windows. There is probably something to be said for monoculture and out of the box but the former is oft scoffed at and the latter... well who uses a computer not customised if they are playing at the kind of levels where such a thing might be important.

Re rendered nicer. That is actually a fairly well studied effect- it comes as a result of a variation in subpixel rendering of fonts ( http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html ). Turns out people that use macs a lot prefer the mac way and vice versa (linux and BSD types are usually just happy to have a reasonably nice looking font although I will note the ubuntu people seem to have pulled in a handful of proper font designers).

7. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

while "proper colourspaces" may be available, they aren't that proper or consistent. again they don't account for all the variables that may be in the way. the graphics card, the computer model, the output type etc. its just simpler on a mac and by the time you spend the money and resources properly calibrating all your office equipment, you are better off paying the apple premium.

anyway, this affects a very small group of people comparatively.

8. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Well duh "If you buy bundled stuff the parts come pre-set for each other". :P

9. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    This is a lot longer than it needs to be.

Purchasing instructions:
    Step 1: Find a price aggregator
    Step 2: Pick out compatible parts, maybe refer to the falcon guide for good combos
    Step 3: Find a store that price matches
    Step 4: order the parts

Build instructions:
    Step 1: Take the motherboard. plug everything in where it fits.
    Step 2: Don't fucking forget the cooling unit
    Step 3: Screw it into the case.
    Step 4: Plug the PSU's cords into all the remaining ports and slots

Fishaman P likes this.
  10. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    The Linux section kinda flies right over the heads of people who don't understand Macs don't come with Windows :/

EDIT: Did you also mention Apple is charging you the extra $1000 for customer support?

11. Rydian
    OP

United States
    But how do they know what they actually need to pick? Somebody what doesn't need to game would likely see graphics cards featured so heavily and pick out one, spending stuff they don't need to... and somebody who does want to game might not understand the importance of a good GPU and might just get a motherboard with onboard graphics.

You need to realize that guides like this are for people who don't already know what they're talking about. Haven't you ever talked to the average person about computers? They don't know this shit. They wouldn't know a CPU from a GPU, holding both in their hands.

And be confused when that PCI-E graphics card doesn't fit in the PCI slot of the Micro-ATX motherboard that doesn't have PCI-E, because it was cheaper.

Or assume that since the CPU came without an HSF (OEM), it doesn't need one. Saw some guy with a C2Q that did this, not even kidding.

I could go on. :P

So the Macbook Air is free without support? =D

12. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    I have to say, Rydian does make very thorough guides. And it's all for free.
    Some people don't even do half of this when they get paid.

Cyan likes this.
  13. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    Thank you rydian for pointing out the fact that there is malware made for apple products (and the list is starting to grow more rapidly). I got so tired of people trying to tell me to that I'm an idiot for not owning a macintosh because they don't get viruses that I took a decent amount of time to research the OS (at a pretty deep level) and eventually created a proof of concept rootkit for it just to shut those people up. On a side note, even though I have contacted apple about this POC, they still haven't patched the exploit (it's been 1.5 years so far).

Wizerzak likes this.
  14. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Please send me a link!:P My friend STILL refuses to believe this fact, the furthest I've got him to is "ok yes they can get viruses but they don't affect it because they only attack Windows".:glare:

15. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    Um I'm not letting this POC run wild, it's a pretty dangerous exploit (privilege escalation), sorry hope you understand

16. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Lol, I was joking anyway. I completely understand. XD

17. Rydian
    OP

United States
    I'm not surprised, it's rare for OSX to NOT fall within the first hour of pwn2own to unheard of exploits.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/pwn-2-own-over-macbook-air-gets-seized-in-2-minutes-flat/
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/safarimacbook-first-to-fall-at-pwn2own-2011/8358
    (Just posting the most famous examples.)

And yes, Apple is notoriously slow at patching things, such as the recent java issues. Even Microsoft will break from their "Patch Tuesday" cycle to release an emergency update now and then.

18. no_chocobo

Newcomer no_chocobo Advanced Member

United States
    The reason the design industry is so high on apple products is that Apple basically gave schools whole computer labs full of hardware for their design students, just to get them used to the "mac" way of life.

19. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Well a lot of it is from back in the day where Apple did actually have all the design products, and Windows didn't.

You know, Windows 3.0a.

20. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    This is the guide I will be using to my build my first ever PC. Thanks for this.