Gaming So who uses Onlive?

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't know about it, it's basically Netflix, but for games. They are streamed over to your computer the big servers somewhere in the USA do all the work for your computer, then push the video over to you. I can play BioShock on my netbook
biggrin.gif
. It's only for USA/Canada.

So is there anyone else who uses it?

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
Never hear of it before, is the service good?
It all depends on your location, I live in Bradenton, FL and I get pretty good quality gaming. However, there IS a slight delay, you don't really want to play some fast-paced FPS if you (unluckily) live somewhere that is not close to a sever.
Video-wise, I can play Bioshock on high quality and get no slowdowns whatsoever

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
DigitalDeviant said:
It all depends on your location, I live in Bradenton, FL and I get pretty good quality gaming. However, there IS a slight delay, you don't really want to play some fast-paced FPS if you (unluckily) live somewhere that is not close to a sever.

Interesting, I don't think cloud gaming will catch on. Not until the speed and amount bandwidth increases and as long as the Big 3 have anything to do with it.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
MarioBrotha said:
DigitalDeviant said:

Interesting, I don't think cloud gaming will catch on. Not until the speed and amount bandwidth increases and as long as the Big 3 have anything to do with it.
Well I think it's doing pretty well, they have their own console and everything
161194-russ_onlive.jpg

That thing's small

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
DigitalDeviant said:
MarioBrotha said:
DigitalDeviant said:

Well I think it's doing pretty well, they have their own console and everything
161194-russ_onlive.jpg

That thing's small

For now, I don't think they would be able to handle every gamer switching to cloud gaming(not that would happen). I suppose if they offer competitive prices they'll grow.

the console thingie, how much is it, I'm curious.

edit: How do you retain your saves?

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I love it because I can play high quality games on my netbook. And they offer a very Netflix like program, $10 a month to be able to play most of their games. There's about 40 games available now, but they're getting more soon.
The games are saved on their servers
The console is $99 (I'm pretty sure)

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
Well I love it because I can play high quality games on my netbook. And they offer a very Netflix like program, $10 a month to be able to play most of their games. There's about 40 games available now, but they're getting more soon.
The games are saved on their servers
The console is $99 (I'm pretty sure)

if it suits your liking then great, I personally like owning the game. It's pretty cool you can play games on your netbook though.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just seems so pro that you can play some really high quality games on a crappy PC by only meeting the minimum requirements. I don't have it because I love Steam. If Steam and OnLive connected, that would be the ultimate.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm..This might be something for me to check out...You just made spending my tax refund so much harder. This would be prefect for me since I don't have nor can I afford a high end computer/laptop and I've always wanted to play games of this caliber. I may try the computer client on my netbook later.

I also wandered what onlive was...Glad I decided to read this topic.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying demos on this with my netbook and a xbox 360 controller. (Because netbook keybaords kinda fail).

It performs fine most of the time on my 12/15, only problems seems to be that I'm using the wireless as I've had it work perfectly wired.

Also it rumbles the controller alot
smile.gif
. I don't even have a 360

I probably won't purchase games on it however, I would want to see some kind of free clone that lets me host the games off my own computer and stream it across my wireless.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
I just gave it a go and I have to say I am amazed. I will seriously consider their monthly plan if I can get my internet to run faster and/or I get me a controller (that is if I don't buy the console which I'm seriously considering)

Only questions is that the console seems to only have HDMI output (not really a question)...If I buy the console the problem arising that I can only play it in the living rooms of both my parents house, but I wanna play it in my room. The T.V. in my room at my dad's house has S-Video and RCA (Yellow, Red, and White...is that what its called) and the one at my mom's only has the yellow and white RCA things. So my question actually is there a way to run this on the T.Vs in my rooms

Lassik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I know people think this will die out but I think there is a real future in this concept and I think a lot of next-gen consoles will adopt this or a similar concept. (Not as the only method of playing games of course)

I mean if you think about it, it's like the ultimate DRM style of copy protection. Maybe not this exact model but concepts of the like.

When downloaded, digital copies become the standard (which is not too far away) this will be around the corner IMO.

The fact that they are live with this product and they already have a decent client list is proof that the concept is marketable and has a place in a consumers market. The advantage of this concept is that it's something that console makers could just enable with a firmware update and this would be really appealing to them.

I've had my eye on this service for awhile now.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Lassik said:
Honestly I know people think this will die out but I think there is a real future in this concept and I think a lot of next-gen consoles will adopt this or a similar concept. (Not as the only method of playing games of course)

I mean if you think about it, it's like the ultimate DRM style of copy protection. Maybe not this exact model but concepts of the like.

When downloaded, digital copies become the standard (which is not too far away) this will be around the corner IMO.

The fact that they are live with this product and they already have a decent client list is proof that the concept is marketable and has a place in a consumers market. The advantage of this concept is that it's something that console makers could just enable with a firmware update and this would be really appealing to them.

I've had my eye on this service for awhile now.

After trying it I totally agree and even if I don't pay it (which at this point will only be because of money issues) I'll probably keep my eye on it. The one thing I find amazing is the fact I can play games my netbook can't run or that I can't afford on the PS3. It felt weird playing Assassin's Creed II when I tired it cause I know for a fact this netbook could never run that came nor will I be able to buy it for a console no time soon.

I really hope there is a future in this kind of technology...I didn't even know this was possible nor has something like this cross my mind

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv