Hardware So what's the failure rate like on Jasper units?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got one cheap off of eBay, with a year of warranty left and seal intact, but the guy said he was selling it because it'd frequently freeze at boot. So far I haven't had any sort of issue, although I haven't had it on for much more than an hour or two at a time. As it is, it's in a fairly open and somewhat well-ventilated area, but is there anything else I should be worried about? I know Jasper boards are some of the most RROD-proof, but I'd like to take whatever precautions I can so I don't have to send it in.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jaspers are as good as 360s got (although I reserve to right to revise that opinion in the coming months- we are now seeing the couple of years mark since the first ones of them).

The usual potential for bad drives but not better or worse than others (and they are pretty good drives speed wise and on the ability to cut through scratches front).

I am mainly here though to say assuming it is not heat related check the hard drive- might need to be cleared (I forget the method) or just bad sectors for whatever reason.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I can tell, the last owner never had a hard drive plugged into it; all his profiles and saves are on the internal memory. I stuck my HDD in it before I even booted it up and it's worked fine since. It sounded like a heating issue, as he said that he'd just let it sit while turned on and frozen, then reboot after a few minutes. Seems like things might have just resettled a bit better after not being touched for a few months, but for now I'm going to try not to stress the thing and just keep my fingers crossed.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you got the year left I'd say run with it. If you want to do a mod, I put in a fan towards the front of the box to suck air in, creating a vaccuum towards the back of the machine. They are two simple mods.

The fan can be a PC fan, I think the one I have in there is 70mm, it might be 50mm not sure. It's powered from the DVD drive, and also did 12v on the back fans. Creating the path for the air isn't too hard, you just add a piece of plastic/cardboard to the shroud inside. This Xbox I refurbished (got it for $20 ;) ) that now runs great and cool. I'm trying to get a thermometer to stick inside so I can compare this ones temperatures to my Xbox that is not modded to see how much of a difference these mods made.

pas7680

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well i flash xbox's every day and i've never heard of a jasper dying (apart from ps3 fanboys filling in rrod surveys). Every machine i've ever seen runs cool and quiet.

Chances are jaspers will last as long as they need too.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'am owning a flashed PAL Jasper (3 Years old). IMHO: As long as you install the games to the HD and do not play them directly from the Drive, the Unit should be OK. Of course, if the last owner played hundrets of hours form the DVD-Drive... :blink:

I can remember my first Box (purchased April 2007), sooo loud and the wooden Tray it was placed on was completely heated through after 30 Minutes of playing :P RROD after 12 month :( I think Jaspers are nearly ROD save if you don't do anything stupid like blocking the ventilation slot ;)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaspers can have an rrod just like any other 360 out there, its just less common since both the cpu and gpu are at 65nm die size, given enough time it can happen
slims pretty much fixed the problem afaik as both the cpu and gpu are now a unified chip and are at a 45nm die size, they also got rid of the hana chip, not only that the unit actually shuts down if the chip gets too hot and lets it cool down so it doesnt damage its self, microsoft only bothered to put a heat sensor on the gpu side on the old 360's ignoring the gpu side, since the cpu side didnt get as hot the gpu chip could be on fire and the 360 would still be running and not turn its self off

btw freezing at boot usually is a sign the gpu is stating to fail, my falcon v2 did that all the time

Well i flash xbox's every day and i've never heard of a jasper dying (apart from ps3 fanboys filling in rrod surveys).
I think you are a little paranoid,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1