So people did this with X6, why not try with X7?

JazzPlaysStuff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hillo there, Nobody is here.
So I remember seeing people working on improving Rockman X6 and I thought that was kinda neat. But later something hit me and I started to translate X7's plot from japanese to english with the help of my friend because localization didn't do justice to a new main character who debuted in this game.

Really, who thought that rude "What are you doing" (何やってるの) that was translated as straight up "Are you stupid" was OK?
And that's not the only problem I had with translation. Sometimes it recontextualizes the scenes (The way Red ends his message to Irregular Hunters, for example. X originally just interrupts Red, Red Alert's leader doesn't end it with "I'll leave it to your imagination") or even cuts some lines of dialogue completely (The last line in the scene where Axl reveals to Zero reason why he has ran away from Red Alert does not exist in localization at all, lol). According to my partner, localization even lost one more reference to Zero series (In the dialogue between Ariquick (Snipe Anteator) and Zero, althrough "Blue - the lies that have infested the earth" is kinda similar to "The world that is ruled by a fake - blue", but it's quite remove from the original meaning. Ariquick saw Zero's past and future, he just wasn't all that sure about that).

I know people like to bash this game and I didn't think X7 was that bad when I started to play it, buuuut the second half of it made me realize what a broken nightmare this becomes, especially in japanese version that gives the bosses more HP than in the international version.
However, X7's story was better than what I saw from watching english playthroughs of it. I actually liked it a lot. Such a shame it didn't get a normal translation because it was the only thing that pushed me forward to complete the game 3 times (for all of the endings and dialogues... and I saved all 128 repliroids for nothing, sort of...). Kinda wierd as X8 to my knowledge had a far better localization work done (X8 was out outside Japan first and then Japan got their version, but the original script was written in japanese by a Japanese person) and it was out a year after X7.

So... My question is... can this game be salvaged with at least the translation patch or could its other broken elements be saved too? I'm not talking about the visuals and mouth animations although that would've been nice (literally the most expressive thing in this game is Mega Scorpio in the beginning of the game and other than that animations are not lively), can we do something with the camera at least? I believe PS2 games are much harder to mod, but is there really nothing a team of people can do with this one title?

Gonna see who else would see this thread. Also, if you're wondering, my story translation is up on YouTube, search for "「ロックマンX7」Rockman X7 Walkthrough (JP, English Subs)" here (writing this as I don't have a permission to post hyperlinks yet, woops), just turn on captions and P.S.: English is not my native language, Russian is. Sorry if my grammar will make you cry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo