ussj4brolli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Guys,

I have roughly 26 tabs open in Chrome right now with pages loaded with information....but some seem to be "old" or outdated. Even youtube comments say this.

Lets begin as to what i am hopefully on my way to accomplish.

Im not worried about gameplay online. The kids can play Fortnite on the X1s and PS4. It may have been online once (without my knowledge) but it was never updated.. Its for my kids. It has 5.1 OFW installed from my Super Smash cartage that was required to play it.

What i have and have done:
SX Pro 2.5b
128GB card w/fat32
I did a complete nand backup of my switch before ever entering CFW with SX Pro. Backed it up in a couple places.
I entered CFW , to look at things and activated my SX Pro lic (offline way). Never installed any type of game/homebrew.

As of today, is installing 6.2OFW on sys and 6.2 CFW from SXOS 2.5 be OK since its not going online? And just run games on the emunand?

What i need to do:
I understand emuNAND being used would save my fuses as long as i keep [email protected] and [email protected]. I am not convinced i really need to worry much about this since it seems the Scene is more-or-less hoping something is released for 5.1+ vs 4.0-. Would installing OFW 6.2 from nintendo (or installing it using ChoiDujourNX) on the sysNAND still allow everything to work?

If i were to do that, I would need to use CHoiDujourNX to update the emuNAND portion, is this correct? Ive seen so many guides, what is the latest/greatest way?

I also learned that exFAT SD card is not "the best" way to do things, for whatever reason. Multiple tables and less corruption, whatever.

I have many 4gb+ NSP and XCI files. What is the best way (as of today) to install these with a fat32 SD card. To first Split and install onto the SD card. Is this still TinFoil and XCI Splitter?

What is hekate for? Is this if you dont have SX Pro?

Thank you scene... i appreciate your patience on this.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Keep emunand without WiFi setup and Sysnand legit, and that should be it.

Exfat is fine and way easier than all the splitting business. Just do safe ejects when on the PC and nothing will happen. I run exfat since the Switch was released without any issues.

Hekate is a bootloader, essentially. It allows you to launch other CFW. Not needed at all if you have SX, except maybe if you want to make NAND backups that are verified. SX can also make NAND backups but won't verify them, so you can't be 100% confirm that they are OK.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have an exFAT setup, do NOT use the home button to exit out of the SX/Homebrew menu. Supposedly that's pretty much a 100% reliable corruption factor
Its not hbmenu/sx menu, it's homebrew writing to the SD that can corrupt the exfat system easily, because of problems in code on Nintendos site.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not hbmenu/sx menu, it's homebrew writing to the SD that can corrupt the exfat system easily, because of problems in code on Nintendos site.
Ah, ok, thanks for the correction. I've been careful backing out of menus because I read that what I wrote was the case a while back

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

tinkle

taciturn shill girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's your ideal workflow:
  1. Start with a FAT32 Formatted MicroSD Card - the one you want to use for your backups. I recommend a separate MicroSD card for EmuNAND content and original content; you have to shut down between switching the two anyway so it's no big deal to switch cards too.
  2. Install 6.2 from Nintendo. Load in 90DNS.
  3. Boot up the SXOS Loader. Backup your NAND first. Then create an EmuNAND. Hidden partition EmuNAND or File-based EmuNAND are both great choices here.
  4. Decide if you're going to use your switch more for legitimate, online games, or for homebrew and backups. If you're going to use it mainly for backups, you might as well use AutoRCM; this means no jig is needed and you can just use your phone to send your payload - TX make a great tool for it. If legitimate content is more your bag, then don't use AutoRCM so your default state is to boot vanilla.
  5. Once you're in your EmuNAND, I recommend the following best practices:
    • Use 90DNS and SXOS Stealth Mode, or else just use airplane mode.
    • Use slipstreamed XCI's with the updates and DLC's rolled into them. I use an ExFAT USB-C thumb-drive for portable mode, and a 2TB HDD for docked mode. You're using an ExFAT drive here so no splitting required.
    • Try to avoid NSPs entirely; we have to trust Horizon to do cleanup and such when it comes to updates and it's better to avoid the hassle; you can use SXOS so you should use XCI imo.
  6. When you want to do legitimate content, just switch your console off, swap MicroSD cards and boot into your SysNAND. You can remove 90DNS.

Last edited by tinkle,

-Mike-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Install 6.2 from Nintendo. Load in 90DNS.

Boot up the SXOS Loader. Backup your NAND first. Then create an EmuNAND. Hidden partition EmuNAND or File-based EmuNAND are both great choices here

1. Why update vanilla to 6.2? If only emunand is on 6.2, there is no risk of burning fuses when booting a 5.1 OFW, right?

2. What's the "best" option for emunand? Is here any information around what are the pros and cons of the 2 (or 3?) current methods?

Last edited by -Mike-,

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Doing this is to much of a pain , having to “restore” a clean mans eveytime I want to go on line in the hops I would not get banned, well I got banned lol so now I just play it off line, if you really want online for switch just get another switch

ussj4brolli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not worried about online... my kids don't need it.
So if that's not something I'm worried about can I just download 6.2 somewhere install it create an emunand, with 6.2 as well and install and use NSP and xci files within emunand?

I'm also curious about these Keys I keep reading about. Do I have to pull the keys from my switch to install xci or NSP games?

Last edited by ussj4brolli,

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi I wrote this for another guy who ask a similar question to yours hope it helps

the only thing i dont run in SX PRO is choidujour - I find in SX PRO it won’t work .I have a another small SD card 8GB setup for it, i just went to sdsetup.com used that website to set the card up i just pick the Kosmos Defaults andi tick the box for the hekate payload and i copy the hekate bin file to my 8gb sd card that i have just setup Kosmos on ,then i copied the choidujour nro to the switch folder and i copy what ever update is the newset at the time to my SD card .
and if i need to update i shut down my switch take out my SX PRO SD card put in my 8GB sd which is setup with Kosmos use the SX PRO dongle and what not to boot in to RCM go to options and pick payloads and then i a in , and if you have used choidujour before, youo will know what do do , after choidujour and the Switch has done it thing i shut down pop back in my SX PRO SD card and fire her up again place it back on my dock pick up my pro controller and play

As for keys and what not I don’t worry SX will play XCI and nsp games fine , I don’t do nand backups for save fuses, most of the She’s you come across it when people are trying to get around the system as opposed to just using the system just keep your switch updated your SX pro updated and play

tinkle

taciturn shill girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Why update vanilla to 6.2? If only emunand is on 6.2, there is no risk of burning fuses when booting a 5.1 OFW, right?

2. What's the "best" option for emunand? Is here any information around what are the pros and cons of the 2 (or 3?) current methods?
Right, but why would you want to stay on 5.1 OFW? Don't you want to play online when on your SysNAND? As for the three variants, I would not suggest the split NAND mode unless you don't want to maintain an OFW side to your switch. The benefit of the hidden partition SD format is that you can't accidentally delete it, more-or-less. But the file-variant means you also have access to what is essentially a second NAND update at any time. Both are as quick as one another, and the file version makes changing to a new MicroSD card easy too.

Reactions: -Mike-

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the only thing i dont run in SX PRO is choidujour - I find in SX PRO it won’t work
I've been using ChoiDuJourNX since 5.1 or so to update, with SX OS, and it works fine.

Sleep mode won't work when the fuse count between ofw and cfw mismatches. Meaning the switch will crash every single time you put it in sleep mode while on emunand. Have to turn it off completely every time. Would annoy the crap out of me honestly

I'm also curious about these Keys I keep reading about. Do I have to pull the keys from my switch to install xci or NSP games?

You only need the keys it you want to install Xci's directly on the console. Not to play Xci's mounted, not to install Nsp's, but to install Xci's as if they were Nsp's.

ussj4brolli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the advantage of using the small internal switch memory for a game install? i bought a Samsung 128GB U3 from best buy so i can put all of my games on this and leave them there. Eventually ill likely buy more of them and have the games alphabetized or something.

So, from what i see, is that NSPs are easier to update then XCI files? I need to figure out how to install the updates (with either file type) unless SX OS Pro can do it for me...

After messing around with the CFW (no game installs) I decided after reading, i am going to 6.2.

What i did:
Using my 5.1 NAND backup created by SXOS, i put that back onto the switch. No issues. This is a 1000% virgin backup. CFW was never entered before the backup.
I found an article that someone thought they were banned after doing what i did, and a system restore fixed this. So i did this as well (through official boot-loader, saving my game saves)
Went online with the switch, updated to 6.2, and updated SSB. checked out the EShop, linked my (unofficial, just created) nintendo profile to it. I did this literally just to backup my saves. The pricks want to charge for this?

What HB method do i use to save my game saves externally? And how to inject them back into the switch?

I played around a bit online.... then decided it was time to do a backup. Backed up this (6.2) NAND now. Still, this has never been on CFW :)

Ill create an emuNAND and start installing away tomorrow, only on emuNAND. I dont need the fuse program (tired, cant think of what its called) since im on 6.2 officially, correct? I will, however, figure out exactly how i install that 90ns program so my emuNAND doesn't decide it needs to be on some unrestricted wifi at any point in time.

And if at any point in 2 years my switch gets banned, and i feel i need to play online for some reason, ill get it replaced at best buy. $50 well worth it there.

Last edited by ussj4brolli,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad more and more homebrew devs are using + to exit homebrew apps properly, and I hope more do it this way in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password