So, media questions...

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by laserjock, Dec 12, 2012.

Dec 12, 2012

So, media questions... by laserjock at 9:17 PM (273 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. laserjock
    OP

Newcomer laserjock Member

United States
    In another thread one of you told me that AVI is a package and that different Codecs are contained in it, responding to my concern that I attempted to run an AVI I got (the only one I tried so far) and it didn't run. Also, 3 or 4 different PDFs wouldn't load, it just says loading and stays there, nothing happens.

If it isn't the speed of the MicroSD, why aren't PDFs and AVIs working on my card that I now have to RMA (for a different reason). Or, a better question, what book and video formats would I use, as I want to send this gift to my boy overseas with a video and a few books so he can see what the card can do.

Or should I focus on just sticking to games and music?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The AVIs aren't working because something is not supported. Either the video codec is something the DSTwo doesn't decode, the resolution is way too high to be downscaled, the bitrate is too high, the framerate is non-standard, or something with the audio. There's all sorts of reasons, and despite what they say, you should convert your videos anyways... however it's still better than using DPG-format videos with Moonshell.

As for the PDFs, not sure as I haven't used the PDF reader, but if the PDF files are too new and use unsupported features (encryption, pulling in web content, etc.) it might be the reason.

3. laserjock
    OP

Newcomer laserjock Member

United States
    Ah, ok. I'll focus on games and music, but when I get the replacement, I'll experiment a little. You guys are great!

EDIT: So Rydian, you and everybody are very patient with newcomers, I thank you for that. Some Linux groups I've been to have been so snobby they were absolutely little help when I tried learning it starting out (I'm still way behind the learning curve though).

If I were to convert files, what formats would be recommended?

Also, with music/audio: I understand FLAC is supported? APE is? What about OGG? I often use OGG and FLAC, mostly FLAC. Odds are that anything I put on his cards will be MP3 or OGG, since space is an issue, and the main purpose of the device is not music. For myself, I have an old Cowon player using Rockbox and listen to a lot of FLAC, but I have some headphones that a guy bought for me as payment that, while costing about 40 bucks, sound like 120 buck phones, so lossless has some appeal to me, but on the DS, the volume is too low to be a serious player.