Hacking So many to choose from

[M]Tree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna buy a DS! I've finally decided. Along with my purchase i would like to get a little extra hardware. Mainly what i seek for my ds is the following
*Homebrew applications (mainly SNES emulators)
*GBA backup capability (slot 2 hardware)
*NDS backup capability (slot 1 hardware)
*compatibility with GBA and NDS games
*affordable

After many many many hours of searching and data collecting of various devices to fill my wants i decided with the following:
DS-XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME
However after more hours of investigation i decided i did not want to pay as much as another DS for extra hardware so i found the:
R4
However that lacked GBA compatibility unless i bought a slot 2 cartridge which would basically make the r4 just a expensive passme device. So i then decided to go with:
M3 with a passme3
However once again I found that this method required patching and a lil bit more work than normal thats when i stumbled across the:
EZ-Flash 5 3 in 1 expansion that was reviewed here.
And so far this is my final decision, however before i make the final purchase i would like to ask the experience community on what they think of my decision? Will my choice suffice my wants? I know its affordable, i know it has GBA compatibility, i know if i get the right microSD card it will not have much issues with NDS games. However im not sure how homebrew on it will be.
Please give your support and or criticism of my selection. Will check back in 12 hours!

[M]Tree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard the r4 has some problems with homebrew. Also can you tell me the difference between the ez-4, ez-4 deluxe, and the ez-5.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The R4 and other DS slot cards will likely have issues with older GBA filesystem type homebrew (snesDS, old SCUMMVM and such) but most homebrew uses DLDI now which levels the playing field somewhat, of course GBA slot stuff like the EZ4, M3, G6 and supercard do not have this issue.

The EZ4 is a miniSD card based device while the EZ4 deluxe is one of the further variations (there are 4 EZ4 versions) that uses microSD and has some larger internal memory for GBA roms.

The EZ5 is the EZTeams take on DS slot carts, in terms of compatibility it may edge out the R4 for slow media because of the optional speed patching tool but for decent media it is pretty much the same.

If you are especially interested in EZ products might I suggest you read the EZFlash wiki: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

[M]Tree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the EZ-4 deluxe required a micro SD card itself does that mean i would need 2? Or can the R4 work as a passme with no micro sd card in it?

Edit:
Also if i go with the R4 + EZ-flash 4 deluxe way i would be spending around $20 more USD than i would if i bought the EZ-5 bundle. Is the R4 that good it's worth the extra?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're worried about the price, go with EZ-5. Don't forget that with the EZV, you will not need a second microSD for the slot 2, and it comes as a ram pack and rumble pack.

R4 doesn't have too much to offer over the EZ-V, other than being simpler to use.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
the mighty sc-one. it rules, its cheap,etc. the only problem ive had with it is the updates. ive only updated once because theres only 2 updates

[M]Tree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the mighty sc-one. it rules, its cheap,etc. the only problem ive had with it is the updates. ive only updated once because theres only 2 updates
Cheap? the R4 is 5 dollars cheaper and comes with more. Why do you recommend the SC-one? Reviews of the SC-one spoke of bugs. Have they been fixed since the reviews? I want something that can last, and seeing how you had trouble updating this kinda turns me off from it.

Sentient

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's the ability to play both NDS and GBA games you want I'd go with the EZ-V 3-in-1 bundle since that gives you exactly what you ask for. The only thing you need to buy beside the bundle is a microSD card - and those can be found cheap if you look around. A lot of homebrew works with the EZ-V now that there is a DLDI patch out (look here for a guide on the subject). Since slot-1 cards like the EZ-V, R4 and M3 Simply are gaining momentum I'd wager it's only a matter of time before most, if not all, homebrew is compatible with them. So, go with the EZ-V - you won't be disappointed.

[M]Tree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's the ability to play both NDS and GBA games you want I'd go with the EZ-V 3-in-1 bundle since that gives you exactly what you ask for. The only thing you need to buy beside the bundle is a microSD card - and those can be found cheap if you look around. A lot of homebrew works with the EZ-V now that there is a DLDI patch out (look here for a guide on the subject). Since slot-1 cards like the EZ-V, R4 and M3 Simply are gaining momentum I'd wager it's only a matter of time before most, if not all, homebrew is compatible with them. So, go with the EZ-V - you won't be disappointed.
This is, to me anyways, the most helpful comment made so far. Thanks to your help I have decided to get the EZ-V 3 in 1 bundle!

Edit:
Now can any one help me find a place that sells the bundle pack? I checked all the dealer links that the EZ Flash home site gives however I can only find them sold separate. I wish to save me a few dollars ( "a penny saved" and so on ) by getting the bundle, so if any one has found a trustworthy dealer with the bundle please post some info.

[M]Tree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
www.bamboogaming.com

65 AUD + 20 AUD shipping (I think) for the EZ-V bundle
Could you supply a direct link please? I can find the EZ-V and the EZ-V expansion but not the bundle pack at bamboogaming. The only bundle pack i found was for the EZ-IV, I could be just missing it but i combed through it pretty good.

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The r4 is AMAZING, and i haven't had a single prolem yet i use an old g6 for gba games. (i love how my $150 gba cart from last year is now "old")

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
do not buy the R4 based on homebrew alone, it has poor palib support, DS games work fine on the R4 but that's about it, just stick with the EZ-Flash 5 3 in 1 as it will have everything you want.

Airwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a question about the EZ Flash 5 3-in-1, and it's how works the single-cart multiplayer functionality with un-flashed DS units. As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the best slot-1 in this area is the DS-X, but since the GBAtemp review for the EZ5 does not include this part, I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

[M]Tree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about the EZ Flash 5 3-in-1, and it's how works the single-cart multiplayer functionality with un-flashed DS units. As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the best slot-1 in this area is the DS-X, but since the GBAtemp review for the EZ5 does not include this part, I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.
Translation: he is asking how good is the download play and multiplayer features of the EZ 5, becuase the gbatemp review of the ez 5 doesn't speak of online compatability.
Answer: im curious as him. Any one know?

paolo90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Look here: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?title=EZFlash_V
(Looks like R4DS is slightly better than EZ-V in the download play department)

I think you should also consider the user-base of R4DS and M3 Simply compared to EZ-V. Remember that a larger user-base usually means more support and updates.

Plus, if you're getting a slot-2 anyways, you shouldn't bother about the homebrew compatibility with the slot-1. Slot-2 DS Solutions are better in the homebrew department.

I own an R4DS and a Supercard MiniSD and am happy with it... I can play DS and GBA Games. I can also use Opera. If I had a chance to redo my decisions though I would have gotten an M3 Perfect over the Supercard MiniSD.
wink.gif

edit: Did I forget to mention I can run most, if not all, homebrew sofware too?
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer