So let's talk about the PlayStation Suite.

Discussion in 'Android' started by FireEmblemGuy, Jan 29, 2011.

Jan 29, 2011
  1. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    This announcement got way overshadowed by the NGP, it needs a good talking about. This really is a huge step forward, with Sony starting to integrate its gaming library with non-Sony devices. Effectively, they're giving a pretty big 'fuck you' to the analysts saying that Apple was poised to take over the handheld gaming world. Hell, with the next-gen portable consoles only barely staying more powerful than today's mobile phones, and Android's increasing market shares, I wouldn't be surprised if this came to be the future face of gaming more than the 3DS or the NGP, although I guess the rapid increase in phone power might be as much a downfall as much it is an advantage.

Anyways, I like that Sony's doing this, and hopefully it forces other developers to treat high-end phones as capable of playing more than watered down games or scaled-up dumbphone ports.

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Well, I don't know what to think of it. I would really love to see the gap between portable gaming consoles and cell phones become smaller and smaller, but then I think about the Ngage...

3. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    True, but the N-Gage tried to make a handheld console into a phone. This is something supposedly readily available for most Android phones coming to market this year, maybe even some that are already out.

The PSPhone, or whatever its current placeholder name is, I'm still unsure about. I'm sure it'll be one of the first phones to have a PS Suite endorsement, but if I'm going to have a slider phone I kinda think I'd rather have one with a QWERTY keyboard than a watered-down gamepad.

4. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    it's gonna be called the Xperia Play

and PlayStation Suite will only go to phones that have been approved by Sony, it will probably require 2.3 or higher considering the improvements that version made to gaming