So, I've bought a N3DS last week

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by felipejfc, Mar 24, 2015.

1. felipejfc
    OP

felipejfc GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2015
    Brazil
    Hey guys, I've bought a Red N3DS from target next week and i'm expecting it to arrive this week, I do have a question to ask you. Assuming that it comes with 9.5 installed (which likely), what would you do? Update it to 9.6 to be in the "latest hackable firmware version" (I also bought a Sky3DS) or stay in 9.5?

Thanks

2. Miles54321

Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA

If it comes with 9.5 you'll have to settle with sky for now or send it back and get a 9.2 or lower version
    Because you have sky then you can use it for that for the time being

3. felipejfc
    OP

Mar 21, 2015
    Brazil
    Returning it is out of question... I do not have problems on settling with Sky for a while. Now back to the main question, do you think it is better to update to 9.6 or stay in 9.5?

4. motezazer

motezazer GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    France
    Stay in 9.5
    KARL devs found a vuln on 9.5 and lower

5. Kelkador

Kelkador Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    I'm not sure if I read it right in the thread, but I think the KARL 3DS guys found a 9.5 vuln. It doesn't work on 9.6 according to them though.

Edit: Ninja'd

6. CrystalForce

CrystalForce I'm gonna "fix" that spaghetti.

Feb 10, 2015
    United States

Ooooooooooooh.... thank goodness, I was thinking of updating, but now that I know this, that's not happening.

7. alin72

alin72 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    Just stay at 9.5..Though I would suggest return it and get a 9.0 one.

8. felipejfc
    OP

Mar 21, 2015
    Brazil
    The scene is very active lately, I do believe that we'll see an exploit on the newest devices and firmwares soon... that's why I'll not return it if it really come with 9.5. I'll do my research on this KARL vul you guys are talking, it may be better to stay on 9.5 then.

9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Soruce? I've been reading the karl page since it was created where did you read this?

10. felipejfc
    OP

Mar 21, 2015
    Brazil
  11. Neru

Neru GBAtemp Fan

Feb 11, 2015
    United States
    Just got my New 3DS XL (Black), It came with firmware 9.4:angry: Should I keep or just wait? because I can always use my Original 3ds with 4.1 sysNAND and 9.2emuNAND to play games

12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Oh, great.
    So a new GW update for FW9.5 is coming courtesy of (stealing the code like they did last time with smealum's exploit) KARL.
    That is good to know.

13. felipejfc
    OP

Mar 21, 2015
    Brazil
    Now that the situation has been changed, I have to ask, on a N3DS how to be safe on 9.5? Can nintendo push code into my device without my consentiment? I assume that I cant do a backup of my NAND, right?

14. Kelkador

Kelkador Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    Nintendo can't force updates. As long as you say "no" to updating you're golden.

15. felipejfc
    OP

Mar 21, 2015
    Brazil
    Do they popup updates in the screen while lets say gaming or something? cause then it is dangerous to misclick no

16. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    this is all assuming its 9.5, maybe you get a 9.0-9.2 n3ds, but if not just stay in the lowest firmware

17. Kelkador

Kelkador Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2014
    United States

It only does so in the home menu after it's been in sleep mode for a while. Just don't be too hasty with pressing A!

Edit: Apparently it can happen when not in sleep mode. But there is a delay from the message popping up to being able to interact with it. Even then if you DO accidentally hit yes it won't immediately update. There is still time to cancel.

18. Suthek

Suthek GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Canada
    EH, BC
    Man that almost happened to me when I was navigating the main screen. was about to click on a game and then the "YES" icon popped up right where I was about to click.
    I was like, "NO! BAD NINTENDO!" and gave my N3DS a timeout in the corner.
    (while in emunand fortunately but with 9.6 update prompts hitting me it's really annoying. I'd like to stay on 9.5 as long as possible before I accidentally click that update button in Emunand.)

19. felipejfc
    OP

Mar 21, 2015
    Brazil

fu**, bad nintendo! and do the popup keep showing or is it a one-time thing?

Yes, if it come with <=9.2 I'll just keep using sky3ds as I dont want to buy a gateway atm since I already spent $90 on a sky3ds+r4i sdhc...

20. Suthek

Suthek GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Canada
    EH, BC
    I feel violated each time I take it out of sleep mode. That's the only time it seems to happen.
    I flip up the lid and wait... Once it's over I try not to think about it anymore.

2Hack likes this.