Hacking Question So is 3.0.1 really not exploitable?

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would anyone bother exploiting 3.0.1?

At the moment you have a fractured user base between 3.0.0 and 3.0.2.

3.0.0 and bellow has access to an exploit, homebrew will be released for this, those interested in actuall homebrew will stay there and get it.

As users interested in online, games and piracy grow bored with an indefinite wait they will migrate and update to the most recent FW, well past 3.0.1.

Users not interested in homebrew have already updated to 3.0.2.

There will never be any user base on 3.0.1 to exploit for.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's like it has been designed just to be used with RetroArch, you know?
RetroArch on Wii U is so great and a Switch is a Wii U portable, nothing else. :)
So that'd be the main reason to buy a Switch.
Nevertheless I would want to play Zelda BotW on it as well which excludes a portable Android device with a bluetooth gamepad. :P
So as a RetroArch fan, it's not "just a console", it's "the console".
Agree completely with this.
I've only got Zelda and kept on 1.0.0 as all I intended the Switch to be was an emulation device for when the time comes.
Its screen size, ergonomics and portability as well as additional ooomph make it the perfect device for that.
A moonlight port would be the icing on the cake.

Reactions: lordelan

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Agree completely with this.
I've only got Zelda and kept on 1.0.0 as all I intended the Switch to be was an emulation device for when the time comes.
Its screen size, ergonomics and portability as well as additional ooomph make it the perfect device for that.
I really don't get why so many people think this. It doesn't even have a proper dpad!

Reactions: XxShalevElimelechxX

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't know why their is so much paranoia, what will happen will happen. I can certainly tell you aswell that plenty of users that are interested in homebrew have or will update. Im very likely one them. I want to enjoy the switch library in the present and can already homebrew on other devices. My prediction would be their are likely more people trying to hack a more stable firmware than those trying to exploit smhax, because of the incredably small number of people with FW 3.0 or lower that can actually hack. I put my hopes in the fact its kernel is similar to the 3DS's and that its probably the most successful nintendo console in the last 10-20 years. Even the PS3 type situation that people are having doomsday theories about will be different if smhax is the limit of homebrew for the switch. FW 3.55 on the PS3 got patched after 2-3 years after its release smhax was patched within months. Ill lay down my hopes in 4-5 years from now, but even in the current situation im not predicting being able to do anything with homebrew for a very long time and I don't wish to be waiting that long just to be playing emulators I can already make use of.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thats why you buy a regular switch controller
Exactly, and that's when it's no longer any different to emulating on any other tablet or phone. I still think the Vita is the perfect form factor for portable emulation. I can't wait to see if a more powerful device like that ever comes out.

D

Deleted User

Exactly, and that's when it's no longer any different to emulating on any other tablet or phone. I still think the Vita is the perfect form factor for portable emulation. I can't wait to see if a more powerful device like that ever comes out.
.... You realize the switch IS more powerful than the vita right? And the switch IS a portable device. And the switch is not a tablet or phone. Would it make a difference if Nintendo just glued the joy cons to the switch. Would that make it a handheld for you? Hell, if they just glued the joy cons on then there would be no reason for the four face buttons and you would get you d-pad.

Last edited by ,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
.... You realize the switch IS more powerful than the vita right? And the switch IS a portable device. And the switch is not a tablet or phone. Would it make a difference if Nintendo just glued the joy cons to the switch. Would that make it a handheld for you?
Sorry but the Switch IS just a Tegra TABLET with latched on controls. You seem to have missed my actual point which was the Vita had much better controls (DPAD) for emulation than the silly 4 buttons the Switch has.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

Sorry but the Switch IS just a Tegra TABLET with latched on controls. You seem to have missed my actual point which was the Vita had much better controls (DPAD) for emulation than the silly 4 buttons the Switch has.
Well you can be butt hurt that the vita flopped all you want. But it ain't changing the fact the switch is a good console/handheld. Also, there are options. You can just BUY A PRO CONTROLLER. Also it's not just latched controls. It actually becomes wired, get you facts straight.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh and if your going to hate a console, go some where else. This isn't the "SONYFANBOYS are angry that the switch is doing well." post.

Last edited by ,

Frysenberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh and if your going to hate a console, go some where else. This isn't the "SONYFANBOYS are angry that the switch is doing well." post.

To be fair, the Switch joycon does have a lackluster Dpad. You could buy a pro controller, sure, but that just removes some of the portability.

I made the same argument against using an android tablet and a bluetooth contoller. It might do the job at home, but I can't use it on the bus or in a car.

Personally I'm willing to trade in Dpad diagonals for a tv/portable emulator all-in-one, so to speak.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really don't get why so many people think this. It doesn't even have a proper dpad!
Fair point re the dpad, I hadn't actually thought about that but I don't think it'll cause too much of a problem for me at least.
I have my Vita recharging more than my phone these days. It's perfect apart from the smallish screen size.
My WiiU is also all setup and also great for around the house but limited in portability.
Switch solves all these issues.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn son whats with all the angst? Some of us are actually adults and can afford to buy any console without having to "pick a team" that we get all defensive about if anyone points out a flaw.

You can huff and puff all you want it won't change the fact that the Switch has a crappy Dpad... or that it's basically just a Tegra X1 Tablet. Luckily, it should be fairly straightforward for Nintendo to do a refresh with the X2 in a couple years so that will be the one to get excited over.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if money isn't an issue over raw power, and you just want a powerful portable device for emulation, may i suggest a laptop? you can plug in all kinds of controllers, and some can be extremely powerful, potentially being able to emulate newer games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...