Hardware So, I'm thinking about buying a used ps vita off of eBay. Questions.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want an aqua blue ps vita. But I don't want it to arrive all scratched up, dirty, sticky, etc. I take excellent care of my handheld devices and they all look brand new. I don't usually buy used consoles or handhelds but I have no choice in this case. Has anyone here bought a used handheld before? How was your experience?

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My advice is to buy from a Japanese eBay seller.
Their units are generally a lot better condition wise, and handhelds are usually sold at a good value.

TornMD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I bought mine off Etsy about 2 months ago. Most of the used ones are indeed scratched up everywhere. I ended up paying a bit extra for one in good condition. You'll find used vitas in great condition, but they usually cost a bit more. I paid more for one that was near mint.

Last edited by TornMD,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Bought me Vita used from some kid, had some minor scratches and all but nothing noticeable.
@AtsuNii got one from a pawn shop, scratched to hell.
We traded the Vitas and I replaced the screen on it(which is now mine cus 3G model)

The backsides are barely visible due to L2/R2 grips, not bothered by it at all.

TornMD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought me Vita used from some kid, had some minor scratches and all but nothing noticeable.
@AtsuNii got one from a pawn shop, scratched to hell.
We traded the Vitas and I replaced the screen on it(which is now mine cus 3G model)

The backsides are barely visible due to L2/R2 grips, not bothered by it at all.
The 3G model is a PCH 1000 right? Was it hard to replace the screen? Did you replace it with another OLED or a LCD screen?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yep.
Nope, Vita has a modular design, aside from a few antennas for the 3G module, there's nothing but screws and ZIF sockets holding everything together.
New OLED panel, I don't think LCD panels would fit Phat vita's not to mention the PS Home, Start and Select cutouts are oval shaped instead of round.

New Vita screen was 20 quid perhaps?
Total time to clean the vita and replace the screen + assembly about 2 hours.

Reactions: bobbytomorow

TornMD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep.
Nope, Vita has a modular design, aside from a few antennas for the 3G module, there's nothing but screws and ZIF sockets holding everything together.
New OLED panel, I don't think LCD panels would fit Phat vita's not to mention the PS Home, Start and Select cutouts are oval shaped instead of round.

New Vita screen was 20 quid perhaps?
Total time to clean the vita and replace the screen + assembly about 2 hours.
Ah ok, that's good to know. My screen has such an awful mura effect, much worse than most cases. I guess I wont be able to replace it with an LCD screen, but at least it's not an overly difficult process.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Mura effect is normal for those panels.
The OLED tech in the panels is over a decade old.

The replaced panel I got has 2 smiley like blotches and one serpentine like blotch.
It's barely visible luckily but it's something one can't avoid.

Besides, It's better then having a worn out OLED panel that's almost yellow when full white haha.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought a used slim(won't arrive much later than expected due to the influx of xmas shipping through USPS)so also prepare to wait more than the expected delivery date due to the bog down on usps

MeriKuri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can vouch for Japanese sellers. I lived in several parts of Japan, and second hand items were always in astonishing condition.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take it back my vita arrived the day after my last post a japanese unit was on 3.60 even had enso on it whiich i reinstalled after some weird glitches started to occur but alls well now really gently used

Reactions: HollowGrams

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)