Sonicandtails

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And my credit card was declined. That's ok, I've got another one.
But in this time period I saw it as a sign and decided to do one last round looking at the reviews for the WiiKey.

"First generation Wii modchip"

Uh...What the hell does that mean? I got mine February 11th, is this something I should be worried about? Will it not work if my Wii is not a First Generation?

What's the easiest way to check?

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And my credit card was declined. That's ok, I've got another one.
But in this time period I saw it as a sign and decided to do one last round looking at the reviews for the WiiKey.

"First generation Wii modchip"

Uh...What the hell does that mean? I got mine February 11th, is this something I should be worried about? Will it not work if my Wii is not a First Generation?

What's the easiest way to check?

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Basicly it means that it is a drivechip and people expect that there someday will exist second generations modchips that allows running Wii homebrew (not just GC homebrew).

Don't worry about it. But do reconsider if WiiKey is really the chip you want. They've so far failed in delivering an update and there are issues with it if you plan to run Gamecube games. Regardless of what some people claim, it is NOT the best chip on the market.

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So happy I went the free way, wiikey looked so good. Yet they failed to deliver an update, even cycloshit is better now.

Using Wiinja V2 self programmed and WiiFree/yaosm, works great!

And they are both updated very frequently, and they cost you (if you have the tools)... NOTHING!

Free PICs can be obtained from sample.microchip.com.

Also pre-programmed PICs can be obtained for around $5 from various sources.

Sonicandtails

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so WiiKey ain't that great anymore eh?
What I want to do is be able to do Wii Backups, GC Backups and Homebrew. The three majors. What is the best one out there right now to get?

Sonicandtails

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eh...I don't know. It doesn't have the audio fix. I think I will just go with the WiiKey. I'm sure once they start updating again it will be fine.

Thanks for your help guys!

blahblahblah122

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They have not given the update they promised over 2 months ago. Call me a doubter, but whatever you do, go with Wiinja Deluxe if you want a commercial modchip. It's the best out there if you don't have the tools.

wiivillain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys really suggest the wiinja deluxe over the wiikey?

i was just about to order the wiikey as well..
unsure.gif

i was assuming the wiikey update would come eventually, i doubt they'd leave everyone hanging.

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you guys really suggest the wiinja deluxe over the wiikey?

I'd suggest any chip over the WiiKey. If they could update it, why haven't they done so? My theory is that their update process didn't work out as well as they intended and they are either trying hard to make it work OR perhaps they aren't even trying anymore and tries to sell as much of their stock of chips before vanishing without trace. Sure, I'm a bit paranoid and I hope that I'm wrong.

QUOTE said:
i was just about to order the wiikey as well..Â
unsure.gif

i was assuming the wiikey update would come eventually, i doubt they'd leave everyone hanging.

Well, what if a bug in their chips prevents them from being upgraded and they still have chips left in stock? Doesn't have to be that way, but what if is? There in it for the money as all the other commercial chip vendors.

I'd hate to see another one being fooled to believe that it is the best chip out there. It isn't.

Asfaik Wiinja has been on the market for the longest time and I haven't actually seen any negative about it. So if you want a commercial chip then I believe it is the safest route. However if you ask me I would recommend you to build or buy a PIC programmer and program your own chip with yaosm. It doesn't have the gamecube audiofix but the code is free, open and stable.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Even if Wiikey never puts out a patch, it's still a fine chip. You can play hundreds of US, Japan, Europe, and Gamecube games for less than the price of one game.
smile.gif
Check the GC Compat list on the wiki for a look at all the ones that do work just fine.

It's funny reading the speculation people come up with here on why they haven't put out the update. First they closed up shop completely. Then they couldn't make it not update the clones. Now, you guys are saying it's impossible to update it at all? I just think they've been busy uploading a virus onto the alien mothership in orbit above the planet to save the world. But that's just me...

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if Wiikey never puts out a patch, it's still a fine chip. You can play hundreds of US, Japan, Europe, and Gamecube games for less than the price of one game.
smile.gif
 Check the GC Compat list on the wiki for a look at all the ones that do work just fine.

Sure... But a lot of people claim that it is the best chip, and it isn't.

QUOTE said:
It's funny reading the speculation people come up with here on why they haven't put out the update. First they closed up shop completely. Then they couldn't make it not update the clones. Now, you guys are saying it's impossible to update it at all? I just think they've been busy uploading a virus onto the alien mothership in orbit above the planet to save the world. But that's just me...

Noone says it is impossible. It's just theories... I really hope they prove everyone wrong and releases an update soon that fixes the current issues. But something got to be wrong as they've missed several deadlines allready.

wiivillain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think i'm going to get the wiikey as it's the cheapest (to buy, not make) and if better modchips come out, i can always buy a new one.

Sonicandtails

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Already bought mine, but it is taking more then the time said to ship...
The soundfix doesn't bother me, I suppose I won't be playing that many GC games anyways. And like wiivillain said, if a better one comes out that updates and is cheap, I will too just buy that one. $40 (wires, wiikey and triwing) barely set me back, so I'm sure I could afford another one
wink.gif

Sonicandtails

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Modchipstore.com

I perfer them because they shipped and got my M3 DSS to me in a day even though I picked ground shipping. But apparently thats not the case again =\

Sonicandtails

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shoot.
Reading again into some things, apparently GC2-D2B doesn't work with the Wiinja. Does this mean the same for the WiiKey? I have no way of checking right now I sure hope this isn't a problem if I have it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol