So I want to flash my xbox360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Pici, May 8, 2008.

1. Pici
    OP

Pici GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2007
    France
    Hi,
    I just bought a xbox 360 and i plan to flash it.
    My drive is a hitachi, but i didn't open my console yet, so I don't know which one it is.
    but a question remains.
    May i flash my xbox with just the live cd method, with any hitachi drive ? because the other method seems to risky for me.

thanks.

2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    If by live cd method , you mean the linux disc to put it in mode b , and then software flash , then no it doesn't work for all hitachi drives. If you have a v79 , you have to install a passkey to it , which will stick it in mode b and let you flash it or remove the flash chip and stick it in a programmer.

If you just bought the box , assuming it's new , then if you have a hitachi then it's pretty much 100% it's going to be the v79.

3. Pici
    OP

Pici GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2007
    France
    It is one year old, so I don't know which drive it is yet.
    The passkey method is putting a piece of wire on a plug and remove it quickly to put the drive in mode b, that's it ? I'm afraid of this actually.

4. Armadillo

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    No , that's the wire trick , no need to use it any more. I think you are getting your flashing and methods to put drive in mode b confused.

Drive has to be in mode b to flash. You can either use the live cd to put it in mode b before flashing , the wire trick or the connectivity kit (doesn't work on v78 and 79). Live cd will work for getting the drive into mode b on every drive , once in mode b you can flash it , with the exception of the v79.

Passkey is a chip that has to be soldered into a v79 drive before it can be flashed.

Maybe you should take a look at this

http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/details/id=61.html

Guide that covers all the drives and various methods of flashing.

5. Pici
    OP

Pici GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2007
    France
    Thank you for this useful answer, I'm quite a noob about xbox 360 hack.
    too bad if i have a v79, i would have to ask someone to solder the chip for me because I have no soldering skills.

One last question : I heard that it is possible to flash a xbox 360 without voiding the waranty, I guess it is not the case is i solder a chip on it, isn't it ?

6. yus786

yus786 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2006
    Bradford
    if you dont want to void the warranty get a hairdryer and blow hot air over the warranty sticker for a few minutes and then use a stanley knife to carefully peal it off which shouldnt leave a mark, then put the sticker onto a sticker-back piece of paper/card

yus786

7. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    That worked with early version of the warranty stickers, there has been a re-design which stops this method.

8. Armadillo

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    No it doesn't , the paper type stickers can be taken off like that as well.

9. science

science science rules

Jun 9, 2006
    Canada
    Yeah, it still works on the new stickers

Here is a video of me removing one of the new stickers

10. Pici
    OP

Pici GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2007
    France
    Ok guys, I'm quite lucky.

I have a v59 hitachi drive, one of the easiest drive to hack.
    A firned of mine helped me out, I just had to plug the drive via a sta cable, oot the slax cd, flash with windows and voila !
    I enjoy my xbox a lot now !

But I spoiled my warranty, i'm so stupid. With a hairdrier, I put off the sticker, but then I dropped it and it sticked to my desk, I tried to remove it from the desk with a knife but i scratched it, too bad...