Hacking So, I tried desoldering the power switch on my DSL...

ricera10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I desoldered the power switch off of my DS Lite using some soldering braid and an x-acto knife, but I ended up accidentally ripping up solder pads 1 through 3 (4 and the anchor pads are still there). Since I absolutely need pad 1 to solder on a new power switch, I was wondering if there was any other way to solder on a new power switch?

Is there another pad that I can use instead of pad 1? I can still see the traces under pad 1 & 2, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to try to solder the power switch onto those.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pads 1 & 2 is all that is needed to turn the ds on. just scratch the trace, add some flux and solder it on... Not sure how damage it is though.

Steevsee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You may need to use thin "jumper" wires to remake the electrical contact for pads 1 and 2 and the corresponding switch contacts.
The small holes (vias) right near the contact pads could be used or else gently scrape some of the green coating from beside the pads, until you can see silver underneath, and try to solder to them.
Good Luck.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take a picture of it with macro mode, the one with the flower (if u have it) it takes good quality close up picts.

ricera10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a picture:

At solder point 1, I scratched off the surface of the board, and I found some metal that lead to the hole near the top point, and another that led to the right of the solder pad. I tried soldering to both, but the switch doesn't work. I was more concerned about getting it to work than really making sure it was soldered on cleanly.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pin 1 connects to the two little rectangular components (one below the other) to the right of it, make sure there is still a trace connecting to them. Pin 2 looks fine. The switch just connects pin 1 and pin 2 together and then it gets disconnected. So you could use a wire and jump pin 1 & 2, it should turn on. If not, you may of damaged the traces or shorted out something. Its possible that the F2 fuse is dead (Google "ds lite F2 fuse"), don't bridge it unless you have fix the problem that made it go off, or it will damage it beyond repair.

The picture doesn't really help. XD.

Good luck.

ricera10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the picture, but I got it to work somehow. From point 1, I soldered to the little hole directly to its northeast, and I scratched off some of the board to its east to find the trace that connects it to the traces to its east. I also soldered across the L2 inductor, but I'm not sure how I lost that in the first place.

But now my DS Lite works, and I'm happy
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays