Gaming So I just hacked my PSP...

Selxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
...I split my original SLIM battery apart and tricked it into service mode, like one of the tutorials said on here. It worked fine.
smile.gif

However I only have a 256mb card and I'd like just a little bigger memory stick. If I say purchase a 8GB one, will I have to make the battery go into service mode yet again or am I able to copy the entire root folder of my current memory stick into the new one and just plug it in the same PSP?

Thanks in advance.

Selxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply.
smile.gif

So I just give it a run with PSP Grader and then copy+paste from my 256mb one?
Oh and since I just need to format it with IPL do I enable "Format Memorystick" and then press "Inject IPL Only", is there some other way?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well all I did was format the mem stick from the psp itself (system settings > format memory stick) and from there copied the folders from the other card to the larger one (saying yes to replace the existing ones).

Selxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah. Well I was just worried since you physically screwed with the PSP that if you put an ordinary memory card in, it would sort of "undo" the whole custom firmware thing on the hardware itself. >_>

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
^ that's not the case, once the process is done you can put the gamess on any card you like without any need for firmware files etc.

Selxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So let me get this right. What the whole service mode and install CFW thing really does is alter the PSPs hardware configuration? Or am I off the shot?

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Selxis said:
So let me get this right. What the whole service mode and install CFW thing really does is alter the PSPs hardware configuration? Or am I off the shot?

It installs the CFW onto the PSP's internal flash memory, which is independent of the card. You can insert any Memory stick into the card without concern, for the most part. If you have installed custom PRX's that start other homebrew, like irshell, or basically anything that loads specific files from the memory stick at bootup of the PSP. I'm not sure if Project 4 has everything in internal flash memory or not.

Selxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well alright. Thanks a lot for the answers. I think I'll backup the entire root folder of my current 256mb one, get the 8gb stick, format it through the psp and then paste the root folder of 256mb one onto the 8gb one.
That should do the trick hopefully without needing to screw around with anything hardware wise.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you get the custom firmware on your psp, you dont need the pandora files on your memory stick anymore. You can make your magic memory stick into a regular memory stick and put games on it. Like previously stated, just format the memory stick with the psp and it will create all the necessary folders for you, even the ISO folder for you to put your games in. Pretty cool process
smile.gif

ZeD

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what i did is:
I made the magicStick, wrote 'MAGIC' on it & saved it for the future - Its come in handy many times

Selxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
solange82200 said:
Once you get the custom firmware on your psp, you dont need the pandora files on your memory stick anymore. You can make your magic memory stick into a regular memory stick and put games on it. Like previously stated, just format the memory stick with the psp and it will create all the necessary folders for you, even the ISO folder for you to put your games in. Pretty cool process
smile.gif

Woah. So I don't need to use PSP Grader? Since I already installed CFW, all I need to do is format a new memory stick and it'll work?

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Selxis said:
solange82200 said:
smile.gif

Woah. So I don't need to use PSP Grader? Since I already installed CFW, all I need to do is format a new memory stick and it'll work?

Dark Alex updates will work without being a MagicMem stick after the CFW is installed with the network update or from his site which includes directions with the m33 update. But what if you need to flash back a Official firmware or backup the nand, having the 8GB as a MMS would make life easier. You could just keep the 256mb as a MMS and the 8GB as a regular card.

You do not have to use a MMS now to use homebrew or play backup games. A regular card will work fine once formatted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1