Hacking So, honestly, without any fanboys of higher or lower firmware, is there any reason to stay 4.10?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder the same thing.
IF lets say we dont want to update, (because of dont use jigs cuz I've read we wont have coldboot up to 4.1.0), when will we able to update? (in like they release emunand or osmthing for 4.1? with atmosphere)
There is now a way to update without burning the eFuses but EmuNAND is still a better option as you can't keep your hacks separate from your legitimate online play. Also, you hold onto a 4.1 in the hopes of a warmboot namely Deja Vu. Coldboot is theoretically possible up to 3.0.2, but no one is confirmed to be working on it.

Peabutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder the same thing.
IF lets say we dont want to update, (because of dont use jigs cuz I've read we wont have coldboot up to 4.1.0), when will we able to update? (in like they release emunand or osmthing for 4.1? with atmosphere)

4.1.0 will still have warmboot so you may want to keep that at least.
You can update now by using rajkosto's method and it wont blow your fuses and then you can downgrade back down if you have a NAND backup of your 4.1.0 firmware when emunand and cfw is released.
If you don't want to do that it's either update or wait for emuNAND.

People will carry on asking the same question if people pander to them and answer them instead of people using the Search and reading through treadst. But to he fair gbatemp doesn't help here as it doesn't clear out the shit posts enough so there's a lot of fodder around...

I don't think it's fixable either way right now. Even if we ignore them and tell them to search it just keeps happening.

Reactions: sorabora

Trender

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is now a way to update without burning the eFuses but EmuNAND is still a better option as you can't keep your hacks separate from your legitimate online play. Also, you hold onto a 4.1 in the hopes of a warmboot namely Deja Vu. Coldboot is theoretically possible up to 3.0.2, but no one is confirmed to be working on it.
Alright so about the Deja Vu thing, I cant use anything web cause my switch got flagged for update (i cant even use switchbru dns cuz it asks me for update)

rufuszombot

Assassin
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm torn with this same delimia. I'm on 4.1.0, mostly because I haven't used my Switch since the BotW DLC came out, but now I kind of want to play MK8 and Splatoon 2 online. I haven't even been bothered to boot into RCM (I did try for about 30 minutes but gave up), mostly becauae I don't need anything it offers at the moment. But that isn't to say it won't ever, and that's where I'm torn. I don't need to play online right now, but not being able to makes me want to.
I'm rambling because this post is as pointless as this thread, because it's all based on maybes and speculation of stuff that could happen later. And for all we all know, 5.1.0+ could get the same goodies down the road. Early scenes always say never, but if I've learned anything from the PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS (especially the 3DS), Vita, PS4, etc scenes it's that everyone in the beginning love to say stuff will never happen. They buy expensive flash cards, weird tools, and dongles while changing headers and getting banned, soon followed by an SD or web page solution brought to you by some awesome dude/lady that does everything you thought would never be possible.
Or something like that. I think I'm going to go update and play my games I paid money for online and wait until something comes out 2 years from now that will let me play all those shitty games for free that I couldn't justify spending money on.
TL;DR update, or don't. You never know what will be released tomorrow.

Last edited by rufuszombot, , Reason: Spelling
Reactions: Redbaronjm

Trender

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol you kinda said what I was thinking I think I might update after losing months of game time and being unable to play fortnite with my friends is just killing me

Peabutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so about the Deja Vu thing, I cant use anything web cause my switch got flagged for update (i cant even use switchbru dns cuz it asks me for update)

Ah the super nag, I'm 99% sure you can remove that.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

I'm torn with this same delimia. I'm on 4.1.0, mostly because I haven't used my Switch since the BotW DLC came out, but now I kind of want to play MK8 and Splatoon 2 online. I haven't even been bothered to boot into RCM (I did try for about 30 minutes but gave up), mostly becauae I don't need anything it offers at the moment. But that isn't to say it won't ever, and that's where I'm torn. I don't need to play online right now, but not being able to makes me want to.
I'm rambling because this post is as pointless as this thread, because it's all based on maybes and speculation of stuff that could happen later. And for all we all know, 5.1.0+ could get the same goodies down the road. Early scenes always say never, but if I've learned anything from the PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS (especially the 3DS), Vita, PS4, etc scenes it's that everyone in the beginning love to say stuff will never happen. They buy expensive flash cards, weird tools, and dongles while changing headers and getting banned, soon followed by an SD or web page solution brought to you by some awesome dude/lady that does everything you thought would never be possible.
Or something like that. I think I'm going to go update and play my games I paid money for online and wait until something cokes out 2 years from now that will let me play all those shitty games for free that I couldn't justify spending money on.
TL;DR update, or don't. You never know what will be released tomorrow.

I would suggest using rajkosto's method to update so you can downgrade back down later. But that's just me.

Reactions: rufuszombot

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ah the super nag, I'm 99% sure you can remove that.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

I would suggest using rajkosto's method to update so you can downgrade back down later. But that's just me.
We do have a homebrew to remove it. In the future, Atmosphere will have a way to prevent the nag from being flagged. Not sure how well the DNS blocking works with the super update nag.

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me personally, I see no reason to stay on 4.1. All current Switch systems (on ALL firmware versions) are hack-able due to a hardware bug. If your main goal is piracy, get a SX Pro because it will allow backups as soon as we get it (a week or so?).

If you don't have the money to buy an SX Pro, wait for Atmosphere. Then wait for it to be forked to allow backup loading.

Atmosphere is a CFW. The SX Pro's OS is a CFW. Both products allow the running of homebrew apps.

Emunand, if you're interested in it, will come first with Atmosphere and T-X said that they can add emunand to their product. IMHO, emunand will be cool for a while then die off just like it eventually did on the Wii/3DS/Wii U. So basing your decision around emunand support is silly.

If you're interested in eShop and DLC piracy, as far as I know, there are no ways to use either of those with an SX Pro or Atmosphere (even in emunand) because of how the eShop/DLC titles work. If I'm wrong about this, somebody can feel free to enlighten me.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're interested in eShop and DLC piracy, as far as I know, there are no ways to use either of those with an SX Pro or Atmosphere (even in emunand) because of how the eShop/DLC titles work. If I'm wrong about this, somebody can feel free to enlighten me.
A developer by the name of Reisyukaku is working on a title manager. Name is somewhere between mememenu and boginstaller, but as a hacker they are very credible. ReiNAND is one example I can think of off the top of my head.

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A developer by the name of Reisyukaku is working on a title manager. Name is somewhere between mememenu and boginstaller, but as a hacker they are very credible. ReiNAND is one example I can think of off the top of my head.

Spotted that Mememenu thread and read up on the Bog installer and saw the pics that Rei posted. If that tool ever gets released, that will be some good stuff! I guess everything I read about how impossible it is to pirate eShop stuff might be tossed out the window?

Wonder how difficult it will be for T-X to implement that functionality into their SX Pro? Is there a way to dump eShop stuff from nand?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spotted that Mememenu thread and read up on the Bog installer and saw the pics that Rei posted. If that tool ever gets released, that will be some good stuff! I guess everything I read about how impossible it is to pirate eShop stuff might be tossed out the window?

Wonder how difficult it will be for T-X to implement that functionality into their SX Pro? Is there a way to dump eShop stuff from nand?
Well the problem here is we can't exactly dump stuff from the eShop without a console as sacrifice. Any requests to download stuff from their eShop requires your console unique certificate so the second they think you're doing some shady downloading, they can ban your console and your account. This is speculation but it may be the reason there is only one eShop dump. There are 2 workarounds I can think of though.

The first involves extracting them from the NAND. TX has not mentioned dumping eShop titles let alone game cartridges so its hard to tell when they'll implement that if ever. However, with hacdiskmount, theoretically you could browse through your NAND and find whatever games you have installed. Another option is to use an .XCI to .NSP converter since we have reliable ways of dumping cartridges (cart 1 so far). We had one during the 3DS era so it is feasible that there will be an equivalent for the Switch scene.

Trender

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Me personally, I see no reason to stay on 4.1. All current Switch systems (on ALL firmware versions) are hack-able due to a hardware bug. If your main goal is piracy, get a SX Pro because it will allow backups as soon as we get it (a week or so?).

If you don't have the money to buy an SX Pro, wait for Atmosphere. Then wait for it to be forked to allow backup loading.

Atmosphere is a CFW. The SX Pro's OS is a CFW. Both products allow the running of homebrew apps.

Emunand, if you're interested in it, will come first with Atmosphere and T-X said that they can add emunand to their product. IMHO, emunand will be cool for a while then die off just like it eventually did on the Wii/3DS/Wii U. So basing your decision around emunand support is silly.

Well the problem I see of TX is that we may get banned? Or well maybe we are done with online piracy like the 3DS even with the upcoming free alternatives

eldgrim001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Question gets asked every single day which gets answered with the same answer every time. Update to 5.1 if you don't care about using a jig or pin or whatever you are using. I'm on 5.1 now and using autorcm, works without problems.

Reactions: DollyWhipDoll

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the problem I see of TX is that we may get banned? Or well maybe we are done with online piracy like the 3DS even with the upcoming free alternatives

I don't think Atmosphere will be more ban proof then T-X's solution. Also, an emunand ban=sysnand ban. The only way to be 100% certain of never getting banned is never hacking your Switch or keeping it off-line once you start down the dark path.

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Atmosphere will be more ban proof then T-X's solution. Also, an emunand ban=sysnand ban. The only way to be 100% certain of never getting banned is never hacking your Switch or keeping it off-line once you start down the dark path.
there have been only 3 banned consoles

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TX's SX OS Pro = Dongle and a clean jig

Put jig in rail, put in dongle, boot up SX-OS. Never turn the system entirely off and use sleep mode instead. You now won't be using the jig or the dongle for a very long time until you reboot the console every once in a while. Even so, the jig is very easy to slide on so it's not a problem at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Military is well falling apart lol +1