Gaming So, any build quality issues with DSi XL?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm an old geezer, so while I'll probably get the new snazzy 3DS at some point, I'll probably wait until a revised model with a bigger screen comes along. In the meantime, I thought I might upgrade my NDS situation, especially if Nintendo gets around to doing a price drop on the DSi XL. Right now I've got an old white DSLite, which is actually my third old white DSLite after the first two were replaced under warranty by Nintendo for cracked hinges.

Since the DSi XL has been out a while now, I thought it'd be about time to ask what issues, if any, have arisen with the build quality. Any known issues with the hinge, the screens, the buttons, and so forth?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I have had a DSi XL since launch day, and I've had fairly little problems with it (aside from problems caused by external devices such as me owning a defective wireless router). The only real problem I had was with screen-burn-in, but that's only caused by having a static image on the screen for hours, and can easily be fixed through various methods (you can just play a different game for hours until it goes away. But the best method is downloading spinal_cord's GhostBuster homebrew, putting it on a flashcart, and running it with the DSi XL plugged in and at full brightness for several hours).

And to be honest, my DSi XL has gone through a lot of abuse. I've had my DS grabbed from me (by my then-pissed-off bro) and thrown at the ground at full force several times. Along with a few previous casual drops on the floor, the only sign of damage was paint on the bottom came off in some places. Well, it wasn't a concrete floor or anything like that, but you'd probably would still expect more damage than that. I've gotten a protective case since then. But because you're an "old geezer", I doubt your DS would get this amount of abuse.
Aside from that, the only other problem I have is the matte finish on the inside becoming shiny due to stuff on my hands. This isn't a very big problem, but still a problem nonetheless.

I haven't been having any hinge problems.

You'll probably like the clicky buttons on the DSi XL, I find them more durable and better-feeling than the DS lite's spongy buttons.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Well, I have had a DSi XL since launch day, and I've had fairly little problems with it (aside from problems caused by external devices such as me owning a defective wireless router). The only real problem I had was with screen-burn-in, but that's only caused by having a static image on the screen for hours, and can easily be fixed through various methods (you can just play a different game for hours until it goes away. But the best method is downloading spinal_cord's GhostBuster homebrew, putting it on a flashcart, and running it with the DSi XL plugged in and at full brightness for several hours).

And to be honest, my DSi XL has gone through a lot of abuse. I've had my DS grabbed from me (by my then-pissed-off bro) and thrown at the ground at full force several times. Along with a few previous casual drops on the floor, the only sign of damage was paint on the bottom came off in some places. Well, it wasn't a concrete floor or anything like that, but you'd probably would still expect more damage than that. I've gotten a protective case since then. But because you're an "old geezer", I doubt your DS would get this amount of abuse.
Aside from that, the only other problem I have is the matte finish on the inside becoming shiny due to stuff on my hands. This isn't a very big problem, but still a problem nonetheless.

I haven't been having any hinge problems.

You'll probably like the clicky buttons on the DSi XL, I find them more durable and better-feeling than the DS lite's spongy buttons.

Thanks. And yeah, I have tried an XL at a store and liked the buttons. I liked the DS Phat buttons too, and the GBA SP.

As for 'old geezer' -- well the NES came out during my freshman year of college, if that gives you any idea. Good times, good times.

craiga

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And the bigger screens make it a great book reader, nearly got a kindle, but the XL is way better. Handy to have a movie on there too when travelling. No issues at all with it. A great all rounder.

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The only problem about a DSi XL is that once you get used to the size and weight.. the 3DS feels very fragile in comparison haha That's what I'm beginning to realise. You won't be disappointed
tongue.gif

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
all of the above, especially the clicky feel. but... i do have one itsy-bitsy gripe with the buttons, specifically the d-pad. Diagonals are HARD. somewhere along the way, they probably must have done somethng that made it hard to hit diagonals without putting too much effort in it. i used to be able to play Jam Sessions effortlessly on my DSphat, and that's because it requires reasonablly light touch to register a diagonal press. on the XL, it somehow feels like the crossbars on the dpad are too short and the center "axis/bead" is raised too high for the bars to reach two directions/contacts comfortably.

oh yeah, word to owners. i agree with you all when it comes to the XL's sturdiness. but, careful not to spill any liquids on it. especially thick, viscous liquids. i spilled some creamy coffee (just a few drops, mind you), and apparently a few got into the mic hole and the headset contacts. now my mic has static, even when using DS headsets. so yeah, no more Nintendogs for me till i get it fixed.

synt4x_3rr0r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The XL has excellent build quality. Some things are even better than on the 3DS actually, like the D-pad which has a reputation of getting "squeeky" on the 3DS. No such issues on the XL.

If you press down hard on the part below the D-pad with your thumb, you can feel the XL shell bending a little bit, but you're not supposed to do that anyway so it's not an issue. Also, like someone mentioned, the matte surface of the plastic on the inside of the DS gets shiny after heavy use. I play Tetris TGM a LOT on my DSi XL, and the plastic around the D-pad and around the B and Y button is now completely shiny. It looks like it's full of finger-grease, but it's just the plastic being shiny. It's doesn't feel greasy at all.

bob_the_nailer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MY kid has had one for about 10 months now with no complaints.
His old DSi had issues with the shoulder buttons giving out.
Before that, his old DS lite had an "A" key that lost its backing and of course broken hinges.
My only complint about the DSi XL is that the images appear somewhat pixelated when compared to a DSi, especially text...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol