Homebrew Snes9x or VC, which is more accurate?

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I missed out on quite a few SNES classics simply because I grew up as a Sega fanboy, and I'd like to catch up on some of them now (FF3/6, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Yoshi's Island just to name a few). I know most of those have not been released as VC yet (if not all of them, I don't have the official VC list embedded in my brain yet), so if I had the option of playing an official VC game/injected VC game, or playing it with the emulator, which would be the best choice? Talking about as far as the music and sounds, and overall performance goes. I haven't played many original SNES games enough to make comparisons myself, but I'm wanting the experience to be as much like the original as possible. I'd prefer the emulator to VC since I'm out of space, but I know the NES emulator has sound issues, just wondering if it's the same for SNES9x and if I should stick with VC.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FCE Ultra has been fixed, and no longer has the sound issue. Also, from what I have heard, SNES9X is a very accurate emulator with sounds and images. I have had a very good experience with games on the emulator. Also, if it matters to you, the emulators are usually much more customizable than the Virtual Console emulators.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my personal experience, the latest version of snes9x is fantastic, I haven't seen any glitches. It even supports using the wiimote as a gun, so you can play stuff like lethal enforcers.

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I always loved the features with the emulators, and being able to customize everything. I remember playing Kirby Super Star back on the 005 version and the music and sound effects sounded a bit... off. Some of the sounds were distorted and would often cut off early. Like I said, I can't really compare it to the original since I only rented the original when it first came out, there's no way I'd remember how it really sounds on the cartridge. For all I know the actual game might have glitchy sound like that.

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
VC games are probably closer to the original but I still prefer the emulated version because there is so much more features you can use, like save states.

DuskLord

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
kevenz said:
VC games are probably closer to the original but I still prefer the emulated version because there is so much more features you can use, like save states.

VC games also kinda have "save states"... If you quit a game from the Home menu and return to system menu, the next time you start up the game, your game is continued from the same state you left it in.

Snes9x works very well on the Wii. I'm still having some minor sound glitches with FCE Ultra, and I think the games run either just a little bit too fast or little bit too slow. Tried chancing the timings many times but I'm still never pleased.

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that all VC games for some reason have a dark tint to them. I think I brought this up here before but nobody else commented on it, I can't be the only one that notices this... I don't know why they have the dark tint, but even the VC demos on the SSBB disc are dark.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have noticed the dark tint on Super Smash Brothers Brawl as well. I really can't remember if that is how the game(s) looked on the actual console(s), or not. However, for the most part, I definitely prefer the appearance of the games in the homebrew emulators.

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g4jek8j54 said:
Yeah, I have noticed the dark tint on Super Smash Brothers Brawl as well. I really can't remember if that is how the game(s) looked on the actual console(s), or not. However, for the most part, I definitely prefer the appearance of the games in the homebrew emulators.

I know for a fact that's not how they looked on the consoles... Super Mario 64 used to be a very bright and vivid game, same with Kirby's Adventure. If you compare the Kirby's Adventure VC game to the rom with an emulator, it's like comparing night and day.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DuskLord said:
kevenz said:

VC games also kinda have "save states"... If you quit a game from the Home menu and return to system menu, the next time you start up the game, your game is continued from the same state you left it in.

Yea, but thats not a save state. Thats just starting from where you stopped. For a real Save State, its great for RPGs and tough action games. You can save where ever you'd like, and if you fuck up horrid on the battle you enter just after saving, you don't need to go back to the save point thats an hour back. You can just load the save state.

FCEUltra is an amazing Nes emu. I just loaded up a secondary SD card with the entire Nes, Sega Master System and PC-Engine libraries. Its wonderful. I have the urge to turn my controller sideways, and i have tons of games to load right up.

I need to get my mitts on a Classic Controller though, as well. Cause i'd love to get some Snes and Genesis libraries filled in as well (ooo and mebbe check out the new NeoGeo emulator that i saw recently). Problem is, i have GC controllers, i just REALLY don't like their pads. They just don't feel right.

Has the lawsuit been finished that i can pick up Classic Controllers again? Or are they still "not for sale?"

Knarf

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The Snes9x emulator is very very accurate. The VC injects may be a smidge more accurate, but It's not worth it since the size of one VC game is a lot bigger than Snes9x and the rom. It all depends on you're own personal opinion.

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah one bad things about VC games is you constantly have to install and uninstall them because the wii always runs out of memory.

I wish someone would create a "Wad Launcher" similar to the Backup Launcher.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wildone: The classic controller is def the only way to play old games on emus, I was very happy when I traded in ssbm for one when I got brawl. It makes the games just like you remembered them. Playing SFII Turbo was brutal on a gcn pad.

They're still available for sale as far as I know, Amazon has them listed for 17$:
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-Controll...9702&sr=8-1

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Super Metroid is easy without cheating.

Try the original Nes version..... more challenging
wink.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
kevenz said:
Super Metroid is easy without cheating.

Try the original Nes version..... more challenging
wink.gif

i know its easy but there are some parts in it that are annoying. like the underwater stage where you have to use the grapple beam to swing over to the other side. make 1 mistake and down you go and than you have to walk all the way back up there which takes 4ever. this is where savestate comes in handy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1