Snes9x is out!

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Alright guys! The latest version of SNES emulator games called Snes9x is out now! Version 1.53 and have more fixed since version 1.52 before. Here the changelog!

QUOTE said:
- Rebuilt IRQ handling. (zones)
- Improved overall timings, now Snes9x can handle events in a opcode a little. (zones)
- Improved screen interlace and sprite interlace supports. (OV2, zones)
- Fixed Hi-Res pixel plotter. (BearOso, zones, OV2)
- Fixed C4 for Mega Man X2's "weapon get" screen. (Jonas Quinn)
- Fixed Super Buster Bros. graphics after reset. (Jonas Quinn)
- Improved SA-1 support. (zones)
- Added SA-1 CC2 support. (Jonas Quinn, byuu)
- Fixed SA-1 NMI override mode. (zones)
- Fixed Dual Orb 2 sound glitch. (byuu)
- New APU timing hack, fixes various games that exhibit problems with Blargg's SNES_SPC library. (OV2)
- Fixed the problem that echo buffer breaks IPL ROM. (zones, OV2)
- Fixed movie snapshot unfreeze inconsistency. (gocha)
- Faster config file saving. (OV2)
- Fixed BlockInvalidVRAMAccess config file option. (windows port, unix port and gtk legacy config) (Jonas Quinn)
- Remove POSIX dup and access calls, and rename qword to fix compilation with Cell SDK. (BearOso)
- Fixed PS3 version save state crash by using heap allocation for soundsnapshot. (danieldematteis)
- Fixed crash relating to double-closed descriptor. (BearOso)
- Removed CPUShutdown speedhack, DisableHDMA and DisableIRQ options. (zones)
- Removed remaining outdated asm code. (zones)
- JMA 64 bit support. (kode54, Nach, friedrich.goepel)
- GTK+, Win32, Mac: Added optional Hi-Res blending. (BearOso, OV2, zones)
- GTK+, Win32: Support for bsnes-style XML shaders. (BearOso, OV2)
- Win32: Full unicode support. (OV2)
- Win32: Restored OpenGL mode. (OV2)
- Win32: x64 version. (OV2)
- Win32: HLSL shader support. (mudlord)
- Win32: Win7 jumplist synchronizes with recent roms list. (OV2)
- Win32: Updated menu structure. (OV2)
- Win32: Drag&Drop support for ROMs. (gocha, OV2)
- Win32: Reworked movie-recording with size selection. (gocha, OV2)
- Win32: Restored SPC save option. (OV2)
- Win32: Fixed vsync in DirectDraw. (OV2)
- Win32: Improved window position saving. (OV2)
- Win32: Restored compile with DEBUGGER. (gocha)
- Win32: Fixed various edge-case errors and/or possible leaks. (Brian Friesen)
- Win32: Config file option to always center image. (OV2)
- Win32: Fixed "Turbo Down mode" hotkey assignment. (gocha)
- Win32: Added and fixed Autofire for D-pad. (gocha)
- Win32: Fixed aggressive soundsync wait. (OV2)
- Win32: Added window size presets. (OV2)
- Mac : Added pause and frame advance functions. (zones)
- Mac : Now you can choose any folder for saving files. (zones)
- Mac : Updated Music Box (mostly internally). (zones)
- Mac : Fixed gliches in open/save dialogs on 10.6. (zones)
- Mac : Fixed display configuration in windowed mode. (zones)
- Unix : Fixed segfault and hang-up with -DNOSOUND. (zones)
- GTK+ : Added ability to set specific folders for SRAM, patches, snapshots, etc. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Fixed many permissions issues with config folders. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Updated compatibility with latest GTK+ and GtkBuilder. Added experimental support for GTK+ 3.x. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Updated software output to use cairo and added the ability to use bilinear-filtering with it. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Fixed issues where cheats wouldn't stay enabled. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Fixed focus issue when there is no window manager. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Fixed X Visual incompatibilities and expose problems in the Xv and OpenGL outputs. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Fixed vsync with new X Server and NVIDIA drivers. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Added "Reduce input lag" option to OpenGL output. (BearOso)
- GTK+ : Added a visual indication of the expected video refresh rate for the currently selected sound input rate. (BearOso)

Here is an incomplete list of games that have been fixed/improved in this version!

QUOTEBattle Blaze (glitched title screen)
Earthworm Jim 2 (freeze on start)
F1 Grand Prix (flickering in-game HUD)
Lion King (freeze on start, works after reset)
Ms Pacman (black screen on rom load)
Mutant Chronicles - Doom Troopers (freeze on start)
NBA Hang Time (freeze on start)
Primal Rage (freeze on start)
Robocop 3 (black screen on game start)
SD Gundam G-Next (garbled scenario map pictures)
Secret of Mana (mode7 flicker)
Sink or Swim (display corruption on scrolling)
Super Buster Bros 1.0 (garbled graphics after reset)
The King of Dragons (no sound effects)
The Mask (black screen on rom load)

Enjoy this games! Here the download files directly from EmuCR website!
cool.gif

32 bit version ==> http://down.emucr.com/v1/S6FGAXSW
64 bit version ==> http://down.emucr.com/v1/1ZZBRU8V[/url]

Direct download!

http://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/snes9...-1.53-win32.zip
http://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/snes9...3-win32-x64.zip

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh snap, that's great.
And the best part is this'll have a knock-on effect for other systems, a lot of other SNES emulators for other systems are just Snes9X ports.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much anything is better than ZSNES, although it depends on what you want an emulator to do. The best SNES emulator, in terms of actually emulating, is without a doubt bsnes, although given the author's stance on purity, it won't be as fast as other emulators. Hell, I'm not even sure it supports anything other than .sfc format ROMs anymore.

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
FireEmblemGuy said:
Pretty much anything is better than ZSNES, although it depends on what you want an emulator to do. The best SNES emulator, in terms of actually emulating, is without a doubt bsnes, although given the author's stance on purity, it won't be as fast as other emulators. Hell, I'm not even sure it supports anything other than .sfc format ROMs anymore.

I could be mistaken but I believe bsnes requires you to strip the copier header from the rom before loading it?

Either way though, bsnes is by far the best snes emulator there is, if not one of the best emulators of any console. Byuu has paid an insane amount of attention to ensure that his emulator is as hardware-accurate to a real SNES as possible. SNES9X and ZSNES contain alot of hacky jobs in the code to make things 'just work' rather than work properly. He also has a version of bsnes which is designed as slightly less accurate but with far better performance.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurai said:
FireEmblemGuy said:

I could be mistaken but I believe bsnes requires you to strip the copier header from the rom before loading it?

Either way though, bsnes is by far the best snes emulator there is, if not one of the best emulators of any console. Byuu has paid an insane amount of attention to ensure that his emulator is as hardware-accurate to a real SNES as possible. SNES9X and ZSNES contain alot of hacky jobs in the code to make things 'just work' rather than work properly. He also has a version of bsnes which is designed as slightly less accurate but with far better performance.
you could try SNESGT, it's pretty good

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using Mega Man X as a test, I can say that this emulator is now on par with, if not better than ZSNES. The only thing ZSNES has on this emulator is the pretty GUI (which is pretty nice, imo).

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cool to see progress on these emulators still. maybe some day they can work on getting the feel of the original console down a bit better.

I am very happy with flash carts. I prefer playing SNES on the real hardware.

HOWEVER, not to troll this thread!!! It is cool because the core changes help for when they release the source so the emulator becomes portable and people build this project for handheld consoles and such so you can play SNES on the go by using good 1st party hardware such as DSi or PSP.

Anyway good stuff. And yes I do like Simcity SNES emulated on a sony psp
smile.gif
it is great, nostalgia. Spent many hours/days playing it on a PC. The thumbstick on PSP is not bad for this game at all.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
squirrelman10 said:
wait is this for pc? is this emulator better than zsnes?

Yep. Way better than Zsnes for many reasons; better SPC700 emulation, in fact, on par with real SNES hardware. A good example would be Square Enix games, such as cursor
sounds and Super Mario World (the mushroom/warp pipe/spinning sounds). Zsnes is on life support as far as I'm concerned. But after twelve years it's good to see that this emulator is still being worked on.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely better (and has been better for a fair amount of time) than ZSNES. Even before this version it was. Shares the same sound core as bsnes, which is about as accurate as you can get to the real system. Earthworm Jim 2 comes to mind as an example. It has numerous sound effect glitches in ZSNES that are not present in SNES9x. Not only that, but ZSNES has some speed inaccuracies that cause some instability issues in some games. Mario RPG is constantly freezing in ZSNES on item screens or level up bonus screens. SA-1 support is very glitchy in ZSNES. ZSNES is said to be receiving a fancy fresh rewrite from the authors for version 2.0, but it has been years since the last release. Their forum is still pretty active, but we'll see.

This and SNESGT are both excellent emulators. I'd suggest SNES9x due to newer versions being made (GT may be dead). Bsnes is as perfect to a SNES emulator as you can get, but it focuses on accuracy and not extras like graphical filters and such. It doesn't even support any files besides sfc, no smc or zip support. It can also lag even on decent PC's, requirements are incredibly high due to being accurate. For the mainstream user, SNES9x is definitely the way to go.

naveedy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute, How come there is no information about this update on the official SNES9x Website????

Anyways, all of the emulators for SNES are better for certain things, I like the styles and features for SNES9x and its easier to use, how ever ZSNES is better for internet play and for compatibility in my experience.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Definitely better (and has been better for a fair amount of time) than ZSNES. Even before this version it was. Shares the same sound core as bsnes, which is about as accurate as you can get to the real system. Earthworm Jim 2 comes to mind as an example. It has numerous sound effect glitches in ZSNES that are not present in SNES9x. Not only that, but ZSNES has some speed inaccuracies that cause some instability issues in some games. Mario RPG is constantly freezing in ZSNES on item screens or level up bonus screens. SA-1 support is very glitchy in ZSNES. ZSNES is said to be receiving a fancy fresh rewrite from the authors for version 2.0, but it has been years since the last release. Their forum is still pretty active, but we'll see.

This and SNESGT are both excellent emulators. I'd suggest SNES9x due to newer versions being made (GT may be dead). Bsnes is as perfect to a SNES emulator as you can get, but it focuses on accuracy and not extras like graphical filters and such. It doesn't even support any files besides sfc, no smc or zip support. It can also lag even on decent PC's, requirements are incredibly high due to being accurate. For the mainstream user, SNES9x is definitely the way to go.

I don't see any reason why using the .SFC format is bad, as Snes9x loads them just fine. It's also nice that Snes9x can now play Earthworm Jim 2 perfectly. I have my reasons for being biased against Bsnes and Zsnes (one being to demanding and the other for being too inaccurate with audio). SnesGT is more or less being worked on, since a beta was released a few months ago. As for the alleged Zsnes 2.0, who knows?

QUOTE(naveedy @ Apr 29 2011, 05:27 PM) Wait a minute, How come there is no information about this update on the official SNES9x Website????

Anyways, all of the emulators for SNES are better for certain things, I like the styles and features for SNES9x and its easier to use, how ever ZSNES is better for internet play and for compatibility in my experience.

The main Snes9x page hasn't been updated in years, just go to the Snes9x forums. Zsnes may be more compatible, but games like Star Ocean and Star Fox run twice their original framerate (like when you have random encounters in SO); S-DD1, SuperFX and SA-1 games have crippling issues when used on Zsnes.

D

Deleted-236924

FireEmblemGuy said:
Hell, I'm not even sure it supports anything other than .sfc format ROMs anymore.
Is it really that hard to rename a rom to .sfc?
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1