Snes9x is out!

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by AsPika2219, Apr 27, 2011.

Apr 27, 2011

Snes9x is out! by AsPika2219 at 5:07 AM (2,722 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. AsPika2219
    OP

Member AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Malaysia
    Alright guys! The latest version of SNES emulator games called Snes9x is out now! Version 1.53 and have more fixed since version 1.52 before. Here the changelog!

Enjoy this games! Here the download files directly from EmuCR website! [​IMG]

32 bit version ==> http://down.emucr.com/v1/S6FGAXSW
    64 bit version ==> http://down.emucr.com/v1/1ZZBRU8V[/url]

Direct download!

http://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/snes9...-1.53-win32.zip
    http://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/snes9...3-win32-x64.zip

2. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    They actually still update those emulators?

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Oh snap, that's great.
    And the best part is this'll have a knock-on effect for other systems, a lot of other SNES emulators for other systems are just Snes9X ports.

4. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    great!! SNES 4EVER!!!

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I like the shader addition, I wonder which NTSC/CRT filter will be used...

6. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
  7. omgitsmisha

Newcomer omgitsmisha Member

Canada
    FINALLY.

8. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    wait is this for pc? is this emulator better than zsnes?

9. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Pretty much anything is better than ZSNES, although it depends on what you want an emulator to do. The best SNES emulator, in terms of actually emulating, is without a doubt bsnes, although given the author's stance on purity, it won't be as fast as other emulators. Hell, I'm not even sure it supports anything other than .sfc format ROMs anymore.

10. AsPika2219
    OP

Member AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Malaysia
    Thanks! I updated 1st post right now!

11. jurai

Member jurai GBAtemp Fan

I could be mistaken but I believe bsnes requires you to strip the copier header from the rom before loading it?

Either way though, bsnes is by far the best snes emulator there is, if not one of the best emulators of any console. Byuu has paid an insane amount of attention to ensure that his emulator is as hardware-accurate to a real SNES as possible. SNES9X and ZSNES contain alot of hacky jobs in the code to make things 'just work' rather than work properly. He also has a version of bsnes which is designed as slightly less accurate but with far better performance.

12. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    you could try SNESGT, it's pretty good

13. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Using Mega Man X as a test, I can say that this emulator is now on par with, if not better than ZSNES. The only thing ZSNES has on this emulator is the pretty GUI (which is pretty nice, imo).

14. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    cool to see progress on these emulators still. maybe some day they can work on getting the feel of the original console down a bit better.

I am very happy with flash carts. I prefer playing SNES on the real hardware.

HOWEVER, not to troll this thread!!! It is cool because the core changes help for when they release the source so the emulator becomes portable and people build this project for handheld consoles and such so you can play SNES on the go by using good 1st party hardware such as DSi or PSP.

Anyway good stuff. And yes I do like Simcity SNES emulated on a sony psp [​IMG] it is great, nostalgia. Spent many hours/days playing it on a PC. The thumbstick on PSP is not bad for this game at all.

15. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States

Yep. Way better than Zsnes for many reasons; better SPC700 emulation, in fact, on par with real SNES hardware. A good example would be Square Enix games, such as cursor
    sounds and Super Mario World (the mushroom/warp pipe/spinning sounds). Zsnes is on life support as far as I'm concerned. But after twelve years it's good to see that this emulator is still being worked on.

16. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Definitely better (and has been better for a fair amount of time) than ZSNES. Even before this version it was. Shares the same sound core as bsnes, which is about as accurate as you can get to the real system. Earthworm Jim 2 comes to mind as an example. It has numerous sound effect glitches in ZSNES that are not present in SNES9x. Not only that, but ZSNES has some speed inaccuracies that cause some instability issues in some games. Mario RPG is constantly freezing in ZSNES on item screens or level up bonus screens. SA-1 support is very glitchy in ZSNES. ZSNES is said to be receiving a fancy fresh rewrite from the authors for version 2.0, but it has been years since the last release. Their forum is still pretty active, but we'll see.

This and SNESGT are both excellent emulators. I'd suggest SNES9x due to newer versions being made (GT may be dead). Bsnes is as perfect to a SNES emulator as you can get, but it focuses on accuracy and not extras like graphical filters and such. It doesn't even support any files besides sfc, no smc or zip support. It can also lag even on decent PC's, requirements are incredibly high due to being accurate. For the mainstream user, SNES9x is definitely the way to go.

17. naveedy

Member naveedy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wait a minute, How come there is no information about this update on the official SNES9x Website????

Anyways, all of the emulators for SNES are better for certain things, I like the styles and features for SNES9x and its easier to use, how ever ZSNES is better for internet play and for compatibility in my experience.

18. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States

The main Snes9x page hasn't been updated in years, just go to the Snes9x forums. Zsnes may be more compatible, but games like Star Ocean and Star Fox run twice their original framerate (like when you have random encounters in SO); S-DD1, SuperFX and SA-1 games have crippling issues when used on Zsnes.

19. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Is it really that hard to rename a rom to .sfc?
    [​IMG]

20. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    BSNES includes a tool to strip headers and rename.