Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yup I think it's in a good enough state to close the project (hence the v1.0 number), aside from small bugs, and maybe the static problem in the sound in some games, and the not so pretty UI. I'm still doing some small work on the UI to make it look a little bit more modern. The current state is functional, but looks super boring. And I haven't figured out the problem with BS * games, and some other ROM hacks... but I don't really intend to for now. As for MSU-1 support, I'll probably leave this to other devs who are keen.

I was thinking of doing some work on PSX emulation (running on the new 3DS obviously)... but I'm not quite sure how far I can go.The RetroArch version doesn't seem satisfactory yet for now. Did think about contributing to Retroarch (I have both old and new A9LH-ed 3DSes! :) ), but I have my reservations about the scale and compatibility with other systems. But, yea, I'm still scouting around. Would appreciate some feedback from everyone here too. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yea it's good :) Runs at New 3DS speeds if I recall correctly. Just tested it last night till late.
Nice to hear about the GUI. BTW do you own a wiiu? You know... we are having some issues to have PSX/N64 emulation aside the vWii mode.

Enviado desde mi SM-J111M mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Michierusama

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Nice to hear about the GUI. BTW do you own a wiiu? You know... we are having some issues to have PSX/N64 emulation aside the vWii mode.

Enviado desde mi SM-J111M mediante Tapatalk

The GUI update won't be massive. Some small stuff here and there to make things a little better.

And nope I don't have a WiiU or any TV game consoles. I still like my 3DSes. :)

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the .CIA on GitHub from 10 hours ago is good? Or is it using o3ds speeds?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
If you happen to be building the CIA yourself using devkitPro r46 + libctru 1.2, there is a serious problem (it runs on New 3DS at Old 3DS speeds). But if you just used the latest CIA off GitHub, then it shouldn't be an issue. :)

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I Got it installed, and from what i can see, Kirby Dream Land 3 is running much smother even on the O3DS :D, always above 53 fps

There were some speed hacks implemented for Super Mario RPG (which is now reasonably playable on O3DS!) and Kirby Dream Land 3.

But KDL3 is still kind of sluggish, worse when your blue buddy appears. But that's about the max I can push it already I think. :)

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were some speed hacks implemented for Super Mario RPG (which is now reasonably playable on O3DS!) and Kirby Dream Land 3.

But KDL3 is still kind of sluggish, worse when your blue buddy appears. But that's about the max I can push it already I think. :)
Wow, Super Mario RPG is running almost perfect on my 2DS. Dude, you are the best! Thanks for all your hard work!

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Now that you are almost ending this project. Would it be possible for the emulator to have a default folder for files on the root of the SD card? Like snes9 folder and inside we put all files like .Cfg and .PNG files.

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately that auto SRAM thing is still auto saving at random when disabled. At least it's nice to know that I no longer need to have Clock+L2 activated in Luma! I love this emu, thanks! :D

EDIT: If you do work on PSX, I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited by DominoBright,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Unfortunately that auto SRAM thing is still auto saving at random when disabled. At least it's nice to know that I no longer need to have Clock+L2 activated in Luma! I love this emu, thanks! :D

EDIT: If you do work on PSX, I'm looking forward to it!

Strange it doesn't have this problem on mine. I'll have a deeper look into this. :)

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of doing some work on PSX emulation (running on the new 3DS obviously)... but I'm not quite sure how far I can go.The RetroArch version doesn't seem satisfactory yet for now.
How about attempting an uber-optimized N64 emulator for N3DS? People say it's not possible, but it's worth a shot.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking of doing some work on PSX emulation (running on the new 3DS obviously)... but I'm not quite sure how far I can go.The RetroArch version doesn't seem satisfactory yet for now. Did think about contributing to Retroarch (I have both old and new A9LH-ed 3DSes! :) ), but I have my reservations about the scale and compatibility with other systems. But, yea, I'm still scouting around. Would appreciate some feedback from everyone here too. :)

Ever thought about trying your hand at porting a GBA emulator? The one thing the 3DS still sorely lacks is a well optimized, feature rich GBA emulator that doesn't crash all the time. Retroarch gpSP has been broken for more than a year now, and mGBA isn't close to running well yet, even on N3DS.

Last edited by coinblock,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Now that you are almost ending this project. Would it be possible for the emulator to have a default folder for files on the root of the SD card? Like snes9 folder and inside we put all files like .Cfg and .PNG files.

Hmm... I don't have any plans for this :)

How about attempting an uber-optimized N64 emulator for N3DS? People say it's not possible, but it's worth a shot.

The N64 has a close-to-100Mhz processor. With a N3DS running just at 804MHz, it does seem a little far fetched. If we look at just the numbers: PCSX Rearmed, which already does dynarec for PSX (a similar processor to N64 running 3 times slower), and runs games about 40-50fps, it's already not doing very well there. So I understand why many say its impossible to emulate N64.

Ever thought about trying your hand at porting a GBA emulator? The one thing the 3DS still sorely lacks is a well optimized, feature rich GBA emulator that doesn't crash all the time. Retroarch gpSP has been broken for more than a year now, and mGBA isn't close to running well yet, even on N3DS.

I thought of doing some work on mGBA, but with GBA VC, isn't that already very good? Yes, it doesn't have cheats or multiple save states, but it's the best without doing any additional dev work already, no? One of things I thought of doing instead was to open up the GBA VC and patch in additional functionalities that we need, like loading of ROMs, additional save states and what not, etc. But that's going to be a lot of work too looking at codes in assembly language. :rofl2:

DrFleming

Trophies
XP
Country

That'd be awesome! Hope to give some feedback regarding that, looking forward to it. I think it'd be a good idea to get in touch with the PCSX ReARMed people and give them a hand, but that's just a suggestion. Thanks again for your work in SNES emulation. :)

Last edited by DrFleming,

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to let you know that your resolution/mode detector is completely screwed and has a very obvious bug.
As you might know, most SNES games run at 256x224, but there's also SNES games that ran at 256x239, example of such games are Dragon Quest 1&2 Remake or Dragon Ball Z Super Saiya Densetsu (Legend of the Super Saiyan).
Current version of SNES9x (and this bug has actually been present in every version to date) launches all games at 256x224 regardless of what their resolution is. If you try to run the aforementioned DQ1&2 collection or that DBZ game, you will end up with a vertically squished image. And mind you this is all with the "no stretch" option.
However, to make the matters more funky, if you run said DQ1&2 or DBZ game and choose the 4:3 stretch option AND THEN go back to no stretch, the game will now properly display in its 256x239 resolution.
4:3 stretching also doesn't account for those two different native resolutions so 256x224 and 256x239 games are equally stretched to the same screen size, when in reality the stretching for one of them should obviously be less to have a proper 4:3 aspect ratio.

Generally it's pretty damn fucked and I implore you to look into this and fix it, I can post screenshots if necessary.
I'd fix it myself if I knew how to code but alas programming is not my specialty.

Edit:
Well I decided to take screenshots so here goes.

Exhibit A: Dragon Quest 1&2 (a 256x239 game)

No Stretch directly as of loading the game in the emulator, not pixel perfect and visibly squished:
wqvcij.png

4:3 Stretch, switched to that from No Stretch after loading the game:
mtjacc.png

And now switching back to No Stretch, finally proper resolution and pixel perfect:
udrovj.png

Exhibit B: DBZ Super Saiya Densetsu (a 256x239 game)
Same order as above, namely loading the game in No Stretch right after booting the emulator, then switching to 4:3, then switching back to No Stretch to finally get the proper pixel perfect visuals.
zfkkjo.png

vjycky.png

uwhjue.png

Last edited by Canzah,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just wanted to let you know that your resolution/mode detector is completely screwed and has a very obvious bug.

Generally it's pretty damn fucked and I implore you to look into this and fix it, I can post screenshots if necessary.
I'd fix it myself if I knew how to code but alas programming is not my specialty.

Yes, getting stuck at 256x224 upon the booting of any game is an oversight, and I am glad someone pointed it out, it will be fixed in the next release. Bug or not, your use of profanity is quite uncalled for.

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see why you're getting so triggered over a single word that wasn't even directed at you.
Anyhow glad it's getting fixed in next release because it's been there since at least 0.60 which is the first time I chanced upon this port.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought of doing some work on mGBA, but with GBA VC, isn't that already very good? Yes, it doesn't have cheats or multiple save states, but it's the best without doing any additional dev work already, no? One of things I thought of doing instead was to open up the GBA VC and patch in additional functionalities that we need, like loading of ROMs, additional save states and what not, etc. But that's going to be a lot of work too looking at codes in assembly language. :rofl2:

VC injection is functional, but the titles quickly take up a lot of home menu space and the emulation(simulation?) itself is pretty rudimentary. It would be nice to have things like save states, sleep mode on all titles, 3d slider support and button remapping. ...Though I'd be happy if you could figure out how to modify the VC (AGB_FIRM?) just to remap controls, using B/Y is so much more comfortable on the N3DS than using A/B or A/X.

Last edited by coinblock,
Reactions: jgalloway64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD