SNES Games Running On NES

Don't say it couldn't be done, as this 'programmer' has done it, with a bit of modding and hacking!
SNESonNES.jpg

You own some SNES cartridges, but you only have NES console, well no problem, as you can now run SNES games on your original NES!
Tom Murphy, aka Tom7, has found a way to manipulate NES cartridges so that they can truly outperform what would usually be expected from them. Tom hacks the circuit boards of these cartridges, equipping them with Raspberry Pi 3 mini-computers. The Pi plays host to a number of SNES ROMs which are all filtered through a special program, translating the necessary data into something the NES can read and essentially display on a TV.

If you want to see all of this happening in action, check out the video below. The idea starts to take shape at around 5:40, and if you skip ahead to 16:12, you'll see Tom placing the finished NES cartridge into the system, allowing the NES to play the SNES classic Super Mario World. This is some kind of Back To The Future-style wizardry that goes well over our heads, but it's pretty amazing to see.
Subscribe to Nintendo Life on

This isn't the only interesting project that Tom7 has created, though. A few years back he created a computer program that could learn how to play NES games on its own, with just tiny amount of instruction from the player. Somehow, though, seeing Super Mario World be played on a NES just seems even more crazy. We're all used to Virtual Console, where retro games are played on newer systems, but reversing that is very interesting indeed.
I want to see Super Mario Odyssey for the newest console, the Nintendo Switch, running on my NES console, or better yet the NES Classic Mini, to prove you don't need the latest shit! :)

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

Last edited by garyopa,

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
Ha, yeah, I can take a super computer and automate an abacus too. Neat, I guess....
But can you insert a super computer into an abacus to make a supercomputer with abacus inputs and outputs? And if so, i'd love to see.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
OP
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
It's not a NES running SNES games. it's a raspberry pi 3 running SNES games thru NES.

Yep, next up, will be streaming PC games thru your NES console! -- Playing latest Call of Duty on your NES!, on your 14" CRT TV :) - The only true way to play it, in pixelated 8-bit 16 color mode! :)

Last edited by garyopa,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
So basically, they put a wrapper into a cartridge, that converts the video into the NES format (with some corruption), and translates the inputs calls to it as well.
Next, they need to implement a way to get Raw PCM 7 bit audio from it, and that will be the ultimate "anything you want" in a cartridge"

I wonder if the same could be done on SNES, for greater quality.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
this is the ultimate weapon of those who cry switch port for every performance-intensive game and be used as proof that it will be able to run.

Reactions: garyopa

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
OP
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if the same could be done on SNES, for greater quality.

well, there would be no need then, as SNES on SNES would be pointless, but hey maybe he could do a N64 downgrade to SNES quality instead, the same way.

Or how about cross-console play conversion, PSX (Ps-One) games on SNES, that would be cool, since originally the two consoles were to be the same joint-venture unit.

Or SEGA on SNES? -- Sonic here we come, no more Mario! :)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
well, there would be no need then, as SNES on SNES would be pointless, but hey maybe he could do a N64 downgrade to SNES quality instead, the same way.

Or how about cross-console play conversion, PSX (Ps-One) games on SNES, that would be cool, since originally the two consoles were to be the same joint-venture unit.

I didn't mean SNES on SNES specifically, more about the all-in-one cart setup, on a better machine.
The SNES would also have the advantage of getting superior sound, if sound happens at all.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North

img_1819.jpg

SEGA on SNES already exists :-)

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
For everyone confused and believes that the NES did play SNES games alone, its incorrect.
To clear and sum it all up, he used the NES hardware to the Raspberry pi so itll have inputs/outputs like cartridge, joystick, video output.
The one handling the emulation is the raspberry pi using theinput/output hardware by NES.
Nonetheless, kudos to him for thinking out of the box and making something possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol