SNES Games Running On NES

Don't say it couldn't be done, as this 'programmer' has done it, with a bit of modding and hacking!
SNESonNES.jpg

You own some SNES cartridges, but you only have NES console, well no problem, as you can now run SNES games on your original NES!
Tom Murphy, aka Tom7, has found a way to manipulate NES cartridges so that they can truly outperform what would usually be expected from them. Tom hacks the circuit boards of these cartridges, equipping them with Raspberry Pi 3 mini-computers. The Pi plays host to a number of SNES ROMs which are all filtered through a special program, translating the necessary data into something the NES can read and essentially display on a TV.

If you want to see all of this happening in action, check out the video below. The idea starts to take shape at around 5:40, and if you skip ahead to 16:12, you'll see Tom placing the finished NES cartridge into the system, allowing the NES to play the SNES classic Super Mario World. This is some kind of Back To The Future-style wizardry that goes well over our heads, but it's pretty amazing to see.
Subscribe to Nintendo Life on

This isn't the only interesting project that Tom7 has created, though. A few years back he created a computer program that could learn how to play NES games on its own, with just tiny amount of instruction from the player. Somehow, though, seeing Super Mario World be played on a NES just seems even more crazy. We're all used to Virtual Console, where retro games are played on newer systems, but reversing that is very interesting indeed.
I want to see Super Mario Odyssey for the newest console, the Nintendo Switch, running on my NES console, or better yet the NES Classic Mini, to prove you don't need the latest shit! :)

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

Last edited by garyopa,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It is native hardware outputting the picture. Can't really expect an 8-bit console to run 16-bit games without some mods/tweaks.
Without some middle man computer doing the grunt work. Meh. It's a one-off with the "wow" factor. Still, leaves me questioning why it hasn't been done before.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So, it's outputting video from the raspi through the NES... Again... MEH
No, the NES is what outputs. It's reading the Raspi like a NES cart, and he's doing some magic programmer fuckery to make NES approximate the image and display additional colors, which he notes the NES is capable of natively. I suggest watching the video in the OP, was pretty interesting.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: invaderyoyo
D

Deleted User

So... basically, Super FX chips, but on crack?

Jokes aside, this is really cool to see. I've always wondered how much we can augment the capabilities of older systems using modern hardware. I'd love to see a SNES Cart pushing out fully-fleshed PS2-Quality 3D Models using the same technique.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Interestingly this showed up in my YouTube recommendations only minutes before it was posted here. I wonder if YouTube started recommending this video to everyone at the same time.
A pretty impressive feat, I consider it something akin to the special chips on SNES since it's getting help from extra hardware but still has to work within a lot of the limitations of the console it's running on, but even more impressive because of how much more limited the NES is, and he still managed to output images that shouldn't be possible on a NES, with Super Mario World actually looking really close to how it did on the SNES albeit with a lot of graphical glitches. Now, if he managed to get sound working in the SNES emulator, that would be even more impressive. I think that should be doable (since you can do voice samples on NES anything should be possible), but the quality wouldn't be much worth speaking of, it should be recognizable though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
D

Deleted User

Now there is hope that we can one day run ps3 games on the ps4.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Xzi
D

Deleted User

it runs on the pi, not the nes... the nes here is just a graphics-thing. all the brains of this is in the rpi...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
One one hand this isn't particularly impressive because the NES obviously isn't running the ROM, the RPi does that. On the other, it's actually kind of amazing if you know a little bit about how the NES handles graphics. That system was not designed to receive or display what's effectively a stream of raster images. In fact, there are strict limitations on what the NES can and cannot display, regardless of whether it has memory for it or not because of how it uses banks and palettes. The "wrapper" is the impressive part here - anyone can run a ROM on a Pi, not everyone can stream video to a NES. Is it useful though? No, it's super silly and has no real life application, chances are that this is just a vanity project made for giggles - the NES lacks the capacity to properly display the stream anyways or the buttons necessary to play the games, using this solution would be an exercise in frustration when there are readily available alternatives.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It is native hardware outputting the picture. Can't really expect an 8-bit console to run 16-bit games without some sort of workaround.
But it's still clickbait. He made it sound like you could slap a SNES game into a NES and call it a day, which simply isn't the case. It's an interesting project, but the title is still clickbait nonetheless.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He made it sound like you could slap a SNES game into a NES and call it a day, which simply isn't the case.
Anybody with the slightest bit of tech knowledge should know that wouldn't be possible, even before clicking on this topic. If it was called "PSX games running on SNES" I certainly wouldn't think the methodology was jamming a disc in SNES's cartridge slot. The title is fine, that is indeed a SNES game being output (run) by a NES. Not caring for the methodology is a separate issue.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...