Homebrew Question SNES and NES Virtual consoles in cfw?

jimlaman8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen a few threads on this out there, but, whats the current (10.0.2) best way to get the snes and nes consoles working in CFW (atmopshere)?

I've tried retroarch but ran into some issues.

I believe one method was using something called kefir to link a nintendo account (but i think it uses real credentials passed to 3rd party, so i'm a bit uneasy about that).
Is there an easier way?

There are other nintendo virtual console emulator mods out there, but they dont work with the latest firmware i dont think.
Thanks in advance

D

Deleted User

I've seen a few threads on this out there, but, whats the current (10.0.2) best way to get the snes and nes consoles working in CFW (atmopshere)?

I believe one method was using something called kefir to link a nintendo account (but i think it uses real credentials passed to 3rd party, so i'm a bit uneasy about that).
Is there an easier way?

There are other nintendo virtual console emulator mods out there, but they dont work with the latest firmware i dont think.
Thanks in advance

Retroarch works fine - I have nes/snes setup with playlists.

Pnes
Psnes

Not sure where these left off at.

jimlaman8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch works fine - I have nes/snes setup with playlists.

Pnes
Psnes

Not sure where these left off at.

Ive tried retro arch, it seems to crash and i dont think there is rewind ability like the built in virtual consoles unless i just didnt get that far to realize

erk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance

There are NSPs of the actual NES and SNES Online in the wild that have several hundred roms on them. They work well for me with all functionality.

jimlaman8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are NSPs of the actual NES and SNES Online in the wild that have several hundred roms on them. They work well for me with all functionality.
I've tried those out in the wild and i dont think any of them are working with 10.0.2 at the moment. (they error out or say that the application requires an update and wont launch etc)

erk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried those out in the wild and i dont think any of them are working with 10.0.2 at the moment. (they error out or say that the application requires an update and wont launch etc)

Good to know! I'm still on 9.1.0 and referring to the ones labeled 3.1.0a (NES) and 1.1.0c (SNES).

D

Deleted User

Good to know! I'm still on 9.1.0 and referring to the ones labeled 3.1.0a (NES) and 1.1.0c (SNES).

for the records I am using the loaded emu on 10.0.1 they work great and i imagine 10.0.2 would too. I think op has different issues.

Reactions: erk

jimlaman8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the records I am using the loaded emu on 10.0.1 they work great and i imagine 10.0.2 would too. I think op has different issues.

If you view the comments on the pages for those nes / snes emulators, you'll see others saying the same thing, saying they need updated. I should have stuck with 10.0.1 (it did work on 01). Although now i'm getting more familiar with retro arch.

D

Deleted User

If you view the comments on the pages for those nes / snes emulators, you'll see others saying the same thing, saying they need updated. I should have stuck with 10.0.1 (it did work on 01). Although now i'm getting more familiar with retro arch.

Sound kinda salty man. I directed my comment to the other fellow who was on 9.0 so he knew it was ok to update. I think if you were ok on 10.0.1 you should be fine to downgrade to it and be back to working. Here is the clue you don’t realize apparently. Your retroarch doesn’t work. So that’s why i wrote you have other issues. I know. It sucks. All these updates and crap. I actually read all the comments here. The problem is that OTHER users are on your firmware and don’t have these issues. So look here is the deal. You done gone and goofed the 10.0.2 update. If you were ok in 10.0.1 then go back to 10.0.1. If you want 10.0.2 then redo 10.0.2 and carefully. All I can do to help you is post my working firmware version and that it works. It’s not the snes/nes nsp or retroarch. Has to do with your setup. Good luck!

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@OP try to downgrade this is why I'm against always updating CFW because sometimes applications wont work well if 10.0.1 work roll back to that

jimlaman8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound kinda salty man. I directed my comment to the other fellow who was on 9.0 so he knew it was ok to update. I think if you were ok on 10.0.1 you should be fine to downgrade to it and be back to working. Here is the clue you don’t realize apparently. Your retroarch doesn’t work. So that’s why i wrote you have other issues. I know. It sucks. All these updates and crap. I actually read all the comments here. The problem is that OTHER users are on your firmware and don’t have these issues. So look here is the deal. You done gone and goofed the 10.0.2 update. If you were ok in 10.0.1 then go back to 10.0.1. If you want 10.0.2 then redo 10.0.2 and carefully. All I can do to help you is post my working firmware version and that it works. It’s not the snes/nes nsp or retroarch. Has to do with your setup. Good luck!

(sorry) I wasnt being salty at all. Just trying to clarify. Yes i should downgrade. Retroarch is working for snes and nes in my case, n64 has a few issues though, but probably something i'm doing

@OP try to downgrade this is why I'm against always updating CFW because sometimes applications wont work well if 10.0.1 work roll back to that
I've not attempted a downgrade before, i mean i guess i could use the cfw tool and the last firmware for cfw, but dont the ofw and cfw need be the same version or does that matter?

D

Deleted User

I wasnt being salty at all. Just trying to clarify. Yes i should downgrade. Retroarch is working for snes and nes in my case, n64 has a few issues though, but probably something i'm doing

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've not attempted a downgrade before, i mean i guess i could use the cfw tool and the last firmware for cfw, but dont the ofw and cfw need be the same version or does that matter?

i wish i could give you personal experience. But I am very picky about updating to latest firmwares. I am like goku1992a. But a few thoughts. I am aware of users who use 10.0.2 who advised no issues. Now i can’t personally vouch for that. I can vouch for 10.0.1 being good to go (as can you). So from there it’s like what do you want to go through. Personally I would back up your sd. Then reinstall cfw after deleting original install. Lately patches are a must. Confirm you can install nsp again. My hope is this will fix your problems with the rom nsp. Which personally i prefer over retroarch. They look cool and work great. Now be careful. There are different versions. I don’t use the ones with all the translated and modded roms. Just base usa. If you STILL have issue then yeah downgrade is an option. Both will take time and being careful. Hope you get it sorted! In terms of n64 the settings are tricky and oc is a must i feel. But n64 works well for me in atmos on 10.0.1.

jimlaman8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish i could give you personal experience. But I am very picky about updating to latest firmwares. I am like goku1992a. But a few thoughts. I am aware of users who use 10.0.2 who advised no issues. Now i can’t personally vouch for that. I can vouch for 10.0.1 being good to go (as can you). So from there it’s like what do you want to go through. Personally I would back up your sd. Then reinstall cfw after deleting original install. Lately patches are a must. Confirm you can install nsp again. My hope is this will fix your problems with the rom nsp. Which personally i prefer over retroarch. They look cool and work great. Now be careful. There are different versions. I don’t use the ones with all the translated and modded roms. Just base usa. If you STILL have issue then yeah downgrade is an option. Both will take time and being careful. Hope you get it sorted! In terms of n64 the settings are tricky and oc is a must i feel. But n64 works well for me in atmos on 10.0.1.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a backup of the sd using hddrawcopy (verified it worked to restore too).
Perhaps its using the "wrong" rom version, i'm using those versions, IE: 1.1.0c for snes (i think i tried just installing the v0 nsp, as well as the mega rom larger file). Here is probably where my issue is, maybe the reason why some can get 10.0.2 to work if so. At one point i wiped my sd card and had to start with clean ofw so i redownloaded the store purchases, one being snes and nes, i think the version number went up (to maybe 1.30), i think the store version has to be on there (?), so now when i try to run the nsp version in conjunction it complains, because its a newer store one (just guessing here). Not sure if i try to restore my original nintendo folder from before i redownloaded, if that actually might sort this. (or if i could figure out which of the 5 or 6 subfolders is the emulator(s) then i would try restoring only those). edit: the snes store version shows 1.2 (and 4.2 for nes), it may have been 1.1 for snes just a few weeks ago when it was working. (edit trying to restore the folder as a whole results in ofw yelling and wanting to delete the folder)

I do agree, its much easier to do things with the store/nsp emulator than retroarch.

Last edited by jimlaman8,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm still on 9.1.0 I heard all the stories of emulators not being supported well on higher firmware.

If you dualbooted correctly you can have a diffrent firmware for your Emmunand

D

Deleted User

So to make things more confusing. You may have to reset a game every now and then. I use the dev mode nsp to do this. It kinda gets you back to square one. Sometimes this is needed. If other nsp are working then you may have to reset that specific game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I thought PS4/5 and Xbox One emulation would be kind of easy since they basically just a PC
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    they sorta are a pc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They haslve dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not