SnemulDS + Mario RPG = White Screen?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by 8BitWalugi, Aug 19, 2008.

Aug 19, 2008
  1. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    So, i tried to get mario rpg running on my DS as i just finished Mario & Luigi 1. When i try loading it, it just goes to a white screen.

Is Mario RPG just not supported on SnemulDS? Is is supported on SNESDS (I havent tried)? Or is it just not supported at all?

Can someone help!

2. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Maybe one of the three front-page topics about Super Mario RPG not working should be a sticky.

4. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Wii is the cheapest system that can emulate this game adequately. Even PSP gets slowdown. [​IMG]

But SNES and real cart is less than a Wii...

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    It reportedly runs very close to fullspeed on the PSP with the right speedhacks (cough cough shameless self-promotion cough), though I've heard there are still some slowdowns in battles.

But yeah, not gonna happen on the DS.

6. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    oh... well, crap.
    is the chip vital to the games citcuts? if its not, is it possible to make a patch that 'removes' the chip?

7. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you want a portable Mario RPG, just get a modified PSP. SNES9X_TYL (latest version) runs it fine.

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The SA-1 coprocessor chip is imperative to the running of SMRPG. To exemplify, the chip itself is 3 times faster than the SNES's CPU. Removing it would cripple the game beyond repair.

9. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    Still, i dont want to buy a new handheld just so i can play a snes rpg... can anyone answer my question about the chips?

Edit: Just got answered. my reply, oh... but i still dont really understand why the chip is needed!

10. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    The chip is needed as the game requires more processing power than the SNES is capable of making. How do you think that Starfox had 3d when no other game on the SNES touched it.

11. Vague Rant

Australia
    Well, technically there's Vortex, Stunt Race FX, and a few others, and IIRC there's a bit of polygonal stuff in Yoshi's Island, but since those are all Super FX/2 games, the point remains.

12. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Kirby Super Star does "run" on PSP, but its performance is so horribly slow to the point of mind-numbing. A jerky slideshow...

13. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Nobody was talking about KSS.

14. Hybridx24

Member Hybridx24 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good that there's already a topic on this... You guys say that the Super FX chip on the game is stronger than the SNES itself, but the DS already has rip ass graphics (like Super Mario 64 for example, which looks better than Super Mario RPG). So I still don't understand what's holding it back from working... they guy that made SNEmulDS even said he might give it a try.

Is there something I'm missing? Can someone explain this to me?

15. ShiningSaber

Member ShiningSaber Tiger

United States
    KSS has the same chip.

16. Vague Rant

Australia
    Emulating a coprocessor is a completely different thing to running native code. Imagine you have a fairly recent computer. It's technically more powerful than say, a GameCube, but you can't just run GameCube games on it because you have a decent computer; you need to emulate the hardware of the GameCube. This means that a program runs in the background pretending that it has all the stuff inside a GameCube that makes it a GameCube. While it's running all this stuff, it's also trying to run a game. The virtual GameCube on your computer is taking a whole lot of processing power, and chances are it's still not running at anywhere near full speed. And now imagine your virtual GameCube suddenly has an extra processor in it and it starts sucking more from your CPU. Whatever you plan on playing probably isn't much fun at 0.01fps.

17. Hybridx24

Member Hybridx24 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I see, thanks for clarifying. I also looked around and finally noticed the difference between Emulating and Porting... thanks again. [​IMG]

18. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    oh... well, i started on emu. it froze when i got the 5th star (Jhonny's). can anyone give me a save file just past this part? on zsnes btw.

also, i heard of a luigi patch for the game. can anyone confirm?

19. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    ZSNES is a bit unstable for Mario RPG. Especially for the 1.5 releases. Use version 1.42 to get a fairly stable emulator. Or you could use SNES9x.

And I can't remember about the Luigi in Mario RPG hack. I saw some sprite sheets, but I don't know if there's a hack.

EDIT: I found it. It's called Super Luigi RPG. You can get the link on this page:

http://smrpgsecrets.tripod.com/superluigirpg.html

It's reported to be unfinished. The guy even plans to change Toadstool to Daisy.

20. 8BitWalugi
    OP

Australia
    Hmmm... all i need is to get past the spinning stars bit of smrpg. does snes9x support zsnes sav files? might give your suggestions a go.