Hacking SNEmulDS and SNES9X save conversion?

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i use the SNEmulDS emulator on my Nintendo DS and i use the SNES9X emulator on my Nintendo Wii. both of these emulators use the exact same roms .smc files. however, the save states are different. SNEmulDS has save files that are the rom title with .sm0 after instead of .smc and SNES9X save files are a bunch of numbers and letters with .smz after it.

is there any way to make the two types of save files compatible with either emulator? for example, i have been playing Zelda III on my DS and i got pretty far. now that i am home i would like to play the same save file on my Wii. is this possible?

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am not sure about the save states but you can certainly swap the SRAM (.srm files) between the 2 devices. The letters and numbers are a hexadecimal identifier for a specific game so just figure out which one is zelda and swap .srm files and names.

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the help but i am kind of unsure how the whole SRAM process works.

you do an SRAM save after you reach an actual save point in the game you are playing, right? it doesn't do it automatically?

then when you load the SRAM save in the game the next time it goes to the title screen and you choose your game to load just like if you were playing the real version, right?

i got it to work with Super Mario World but i don't know how to use SRAM with Zelda: A link to the past. how do i save in that game? when do i use the SRAM save in that game?

4LTJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
That exactly is my problem, too.

I want to use a downloaded "Super Fire Pro X Premium"-save with my SNES-HBC-Channel..

Copying it into the ../SNES9X/SAVES folder reveals, that all .SRM are made up only of numbers, not filenames...

? SO, HOW CAN I IDENTIFY THE NUMBERS TO EACH GAME ???

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SRAM is the .srm file.. it's the games actual save data... just like a .sav file on your DS...

To figure out what game is what numbers, COPY off all your save files (sram and save states)

Start ONLY THE GAME YOU WANNA KNOW ABOUT, and save state... then the only save state file in the folder has the numbers you need for your game... write it in your notebook, journal, diary, or hell, even here!

rename the same files .srm to the game your playing, and enjoy!

To save in Zelda Lttp (3), press Start or Select, I can't remember which... it'll ask you Continue, or Save and Exit/Quit

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
To save in Zelda Lttp (3), press Start or Select, I can't remember which... it'll ask you Continue, or Save and Exit/Quit

but you have to do an sram save after the game would actually save, right? so if the only option to save in this game is to save and quit, when do i do the sram save? after i save and quit the game is at the title screen. if i do an sram save then it wouldn't do anything, right?

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priapism said:
zidane_genome said:

but you have to do an sram save after the game would actually save, right? so if the only option to save in this game is to save and quit, when do i do the sram save? after i save and quit the game is at the title screen. if i do an sram save then it wouldn't do anything, right?
press home and it should save the srm automatically. If that option isn't on then go to save and save srm. To find which number or whatever that funky code your game is load the game and when the game starts there will be a bunch of text on the bottom. The code should be there, just remember some of it because the text goes away quickly besides no code is similar to the next. Take your sd card out, put it in your computer, find the saves from snes9x and find that code. Then find the srm from the other emulator to the same game and rename which ever save file you want with the other name and it should work with the emulator. For example i renamed abzfte46t3th.srm (super metroid) to supermetroid.srm now the save from snes9x (the one with the funky code) should work on snemulds.

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the help everyone. i really appreciate it. i have everything running smoothly and i was able to convert the saves that i wanted to. i have one last question though.

i am using Snes9x version 3.1 that supposedly has auto sram saves. does the sram automatically save whenever an actual save in the game is reached? for example, in LoZ:alttp the way to save is to choose save and quit from the select menu. when i choose this option will the auto sram save work and save my actual game?

the reason i ask is, i see auto sram save text pop up at the bottom of the screen during gameplay when i exit to the Snes9x menu but not when i choose save and quit in game. it seems odd.

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priapism said:
thanks for the help everyone. i really appreciate it. i have everything running smoothly and i was able to convert the saves that i wanted to. i have one last question though.

i am using Snes9x version 3.1 that supposedly has auto sram saves. does the sram automatically save whenever an actual save in the game is reached? for example, in LoZ:alttp the way to save is to choose save and quit from the select menu. when i choose this option will the auto sram save work and save my actual game?

the reason i ask is, i see auto sram save text pop up at the bottom of the screen during gameplay when i exit to the Snes9x menu but not when i choose save and quit in game. it seems odd.
the srm saves during gameplay? I have to go back to the snes9x menu to auto save. Just press the home button it will save and press it again to play. How did you get it to save during gameplay? Does it work?

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JJBro1 said:
priapism said:

the srm saves during gameplay? I have to go back to the snes9x menu to auto save. Just press the home button it will save and press it again to play. How did you get it to save during gameplay? Does it work?

sorry my wording may have been confusing. i said it saves during gameplay when i exit to the Snes9x menu (same thing you mentioned).

my problem is, how is it considered "auto saving" if you have to exit to the Snes9x menu? shouldn't it automatically save when it would in the actual version of the game? can i use the sram save in Zelda: a Link to the Past since saving requires quiting the game?

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priapism said:
JJBro1 said:
priapism said:

sorry my wording may have been confusing. i said it saves during gameplay when i exit to the Snes9x menu (same thing you mentioned).

my problem is, how is it considered "auto saving" if you have to exit to the Snes9x menu? shouldn't it automatically save when it would in the actual version of the game? can i use the sram save in Zelda: a Link to the Past since saving requires quiting the game?
o i c. YA apparently the people who made this need to redefine their definition of auto saving. So I'm in the same boat as you. I hope for the next version they actually have auto saving for real.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids +2