Hacking SNEEK+DI quick guide

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You don't need to change the armboot.bin. It's just kernel.bin and di.bin that need updating on both sd:/sneek and usb:/sneek folders.
It's probably best to rename or delete nandcfg.bin and diconfig.bin. Use modmii to create the kernel.bin and di.bin from the elf files.
There is more involved than renaming the elf files.

aaii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
he he, I can see that now :D

I created the kernel.bin and di.bin with modmii (even though I selected rev75 it now says rev72 in neek settings, but checking the version created by modmii it says rev75, dont know if that has anything to say)
I deleted nandcfg.bin and diconfig.bin, but still no luck on switching region. The result is the same as with rev64.
Any other ideas I could try?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can try an approach with 2 different nands, 1 for the E games and 1 for the U games. Postloader even has a setup that chooses the correct nand for you automatically. Maybe the 'on the fly' region change of a nand isn't working. I have never worked with it, so I don't have the answers for you.

GolfDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using the same sd card, i got sneek to work, but when i try to install a fresh sneek+di version instead on the same card, it wont load at all.. any reason why the regular sneek is working on the card, but the di version isnt?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is usually a harddisk problem. In worst case, it isn't compatible with a neek setup.
It's also possible that the first partition isn't fat32 formatted with a 32KB cluster size.
Old versions of neek needed at least one fst extracted game in the games folder.
Old neek2o revisions needed at least one in the games or wbfs folder.
If you are using the latest version of neek (192) or the latest of neek2o (75) you shouldn't have that last problem.
Also delete or rename diconfig.bin and nandcfg.bin files from previous installs. They might no longer be compatible.

aaii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can try an approach with 2 different nands, 1 for the E games and 1 for the U games. Postloader even has a setup that chooses the correct nand for you automatically. Maybe the 'on the fly' region change of a nand isn't working. I have never worked with it, so I don't have the answers for you.

Thanks
Will try this out, and post result :)

aaii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The result with Postloader was the same as before.
Instead I ended up with creating a new 4.3E nand and extracting Netflix from the U nand, made it region free
and installed it on the E nand :)
So at least I got everything working, he he.

Thanks for all help and advices :)

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does this tutorial still work with current revisions of SNEEK/UNEEK? I have recently tried to compile the latest revision of UNEEK, and when I try to run it on the Wii, all I get is a black screen, with no activity from the USB drive. I noticed that when I compiled it using this guide, there were files that I had not seen before (kernel_di.bin, kernel_sd.bin, and kernel_usb.bin). I assumed that "kernel_usb.bin" was supposed to be renamed to "kernel.bin." I tried two different SD cards (16GB Sandisk SDHC and a 2GB PNY SD card) and had the same issue with both. I did have a different SD card in the past (2GB Sandisk SD card), but I currently do not have that card. I'm assuming that I probably need to get that SD card back. Anyway, since I have not used or compiled UNEEK/UNEEK+DI in over a year, I figured that I would make sure that this tutorial is still suitable for compiling the current revisions. Thanks in advance!

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The way the files are created changed a little. They can have a bigger size now. As you figured out, kernel_sd is the sneek kernel version. kernel_di is the sneek+di version and kernel_usb is the uneek and uneek+di kernel version. For uneek, you need that "renamed to kernel.bin" in both the sd card sneek folder and on the usb drive sneek folder. In the usb sneek, you need di.bin and font.bin as well if you intend to use uneek+di.

Problems like yours are usually caused by an incompatible harddisk, or a harddisk that isn't properly partitionned.
The first partition of the harddisk needs to be fat32 with a 32KB cluster size.

The only way to find out without usb gecko, is trying a sneek setup first (without di). You will need the nand folders on your sd card for that, but it doesn't need the harddisk. It should prove that the kernel.bin is working and that the emulated nand folders are working as expected.

zootoxin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All,

This guide seems to have many parts that I don't know are necessary for what I need.
So I am hoping we could break it down to the relevant parts.

What I have:
4.2 Euro Black Wii re-modded with Modmii last week.
SD Card with all the usual HBC, USB Loader etc
1 blank 16gb USB Stick

What I would like:
4.2 USA Sneek (working)
Sneek forwarder/switcher for easy switching between Real and Emu NAND
Ability to play games, wiiware, dlc
Access to USA Shop Channel

I already have a wbfs drive with all my games backed-up but I want to use the USB stick as a trial.
I don't mind where the sneek runs from (USB/SD) just as long as I get results.

I tried doing this myself last night with modmii but all I get is a black screen so would prefer to work through this probably with you knowledgeable chaps.

Thanks

Zoot

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If it's your first experiment with neek, I would suggest to build a modmii sneek without di.
It's the only version that doesn't need the harddisk or usb stick. So, all issues you can have with that don't exist.
Also note that the sneek2o + di version isn't working at the moment. It has a bug.

It's very important for uneek and uneek+di that the usb drive is fat32 formatted with a 32Kb cluster size.

ymg123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Hi All,

This guide seems to have many parts that I don't know are necessary for what I need.
So I am hoping we could break it down to the relevant parts.

What I have:
4.2 Euro Black Wii re-modded with Modmii last week.
SD Card with all the usual HBC, USB Loader etc
1 blank 16gb USB Stick

What I would like:
4.2 USA Sneek (working)
Sneek forwarder/switcher for easy switching between Real and Emu NAND
Ability to play games, wiiware, dlc
Access to USA Shop Channel

I already have a wbfs drive with all my games backed-up but I want to use the USB stick as a trial.
I don't mind where the sneek runs from (USB/SD) just as long as I get results.

I tried doing this myself last night with modmii but all I get is a black screen so would prefer to work through this probably with you knowledgeable chaps.

Thanks

Zoot

If you want to use your 4.2 nand dumps with SD card. You can try the following method.

1) download IOS70 v6687 with NUS Downloader (instead of IOS80 v6943/IOS60 v6174)
2) copy 0000000e.app to the folder containing latest sneek source.
3) run the batch file "build_boot2.cmd"
4) rename kernel_di.bin (or kernel_sd.bin or kernel_usb.bin) to kernel.bin
5) copy kernel.bin (and di.bin for sneek_di) to sd:/sneek
6) go to the folder mini-tree-mod, copy the file "armboot.bin" to sd:/bootmii

I didn't realize i was using the wrong IOS. Thats explains why i can't get sneek work with my black Wii before

PS:
IOS60 v6174 for 4.0/4.1 nand dump (it doesn't work with latest sneek. At least it doesn't work with unmodified source code)
IOS70 v6687 for 4.2 nand dump
IOS80 v6943 for 4.3 nand dump

Wii_Juggalo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crediars sneek installer uses rev. 187 as clearly stated on the google svn page.
I sincerely apologize for overlooking a little bit of text and I sincerely thank you for being kind enough to grant me the privilege of your vast amounts of wisdom even if it was delivered with a nonexistent amount of tact.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
apologies accepted ;)

It wasn't into my vast amounts of wisdom.
I quickly looked it up and thought I might share my source of information in case someone would doubt about the correctness of it. (It happens)

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
IOS60 v6174 for 4.0/4.1 nand dump (it doesn't work with latest sneek. At least it doesn't work with unmodified source code)
IOS70 v6687 for 4.2 nand dump
IOS80 v6943 for 4.3 nand dump

not sure where you're getting that from, but AFAIK, all forms of neek or neek2o are built using:
-0000000e.app from IOS80v6943
-00000001.app from IOS60v6174 (only for older versions of neek+di that use SNEEKInstallerv0.6c)

Crediars sneek installer uses rev. 187 as clearly stated on the google svn page.
I just want to add that you can use the official installer to build any rev of neek or neek2o as long as you put the appropriate pre-compiled "sneek files" in the designated folder (without clicking "get files")

@[member='obcd'],
I only just noticed that the new installer (SNEEKInstallerv0.7a) doesn't need a 00000001.app file (from IOS60 or w/e) at all, even when building neek+di. Can you confirm that is correct and I'm not going crazy? Thx!

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This looks indeed correct. di.bin is now created using efix.exe instead of elfins.exe, and doesn't need anything from 00000001.app anymore. It's basically a full replacement of that file.
Kernel.bin still contains some of the original modules. Only the es and fs modules are replaced. It still uses the elfins.exe. I hadn't noticed this myself. (I must admit I don't use the installer very often.)

I still can't confirm you are not going crazy. :) (But that's due to all the new stuff appearing...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.