Hacking SNEEK+DI quick guide

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
neek now allows to call an overlay menu and select the game that is shown in the disc channel.
It uses the diconfig.bin file for that purpose.
This probably wasn't always the case.

doveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, another question. The guide says to format the SD/USB as FAT32 with 32k clusters but with my 2GB SD card if I select FAT32 it only offers between 4k-16k. If I select FAT it offers 32k or 64k. There doesn't seem to be any way (in EPM) to check the current cluster setting but it shows it's Primary but not Active and I can't change it to Active so either that doesn't apply to SD or it's because EPM shows it as a "Supper Floppy" :lol:

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A smaller cluster size should work as well. Bigger than 32KB is a problem. I don't know about the active bit. I just checked one of mine 2Gig sd cards, and it has a 4KB cluster size.

Simply add a small file to the partition, and check in properties what size the file occupies on the disk. That's your cluster size.

doveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A smaller cluster size should work as well. Bigger than 32KB is a problem. I don't know about the active bit. I just checked one of mine 2Gig sd cards, and it has a 4KB cluster size.

Simply add a small file to the partition, and check in properties what size the file occupies on the disk. That's your cluster size.

OK, thanks.

dragon12

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi!

I have an UNEEK nand in a 1GB pen-drive that works perfectly. I've recently acquired a 500GB hdd to play my games via usb loader and it's really annoying to unplug my hdd every time I want to use SNEEK. So, I created a 4GB partition to use as my new emulated NAND, using the file structure I already have in the pen-drive. I followed all the instruction in this guide here, everything worked nice, the emulated nand booted normal but here is my problem: sometimes after I play a vc game in the uneek nand and return to the Wii Menu it doesn't return at all, it gives me a black screen, the hdd doesn't respond and I have to force my Wii to shut down. After that, my emulated nand doesn't boot at the first try... it gives a 2-3 attempt until it boots and when it boots it continues what it was doing before the black screen, in this case, return to the Wii Menu. It happens when starting a channel too.

I don't know what is causing it, I tried format the partition again, tried to use a brand new nand but the problem persists... :( I have searched on this problem but could not find anything... Does someone had this problem or know what could be causing it? Any ideas?

Thanks!

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Are you sure the harddisk isn't having a spindown feature buildin? If it is, you could check it's manufacturer website to see if you can turnoff the feature.

Another issue people reported is that some harddisks need a couple of seconds to initialise.
In neek, every time the system menu is reloaded, the usb ports are reinitialised as well.
You could compare this with disconnecting and reconnecting the harddisk.

I know about people who added a delay in neek startup, but I can't remember if that fixed all their issues.

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks obcd, you've been a great help to everyone in this thread.

I can't believe that this thread is 2 years old and still manages to make the front page with 321,366 views. Awesome, just awesome. I never imagined when I started this little tut that it would come in that handy. I really hope it has helped some people.

Hope all is well,
ChokeD(CloneD)

Reactions: 1 person

dragon12

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are you sure the harddisk isn't having a spindown feature buildin? If it is, you could check it's manufacturer website to see if you can turnoff the feature.

Another issue people reported is that some harddisks need a couple of seconds to initialise.
In neek, every time the system menu is reloaded, the usb ports are reinitialised as well.
You could compare this with disconnecting and reconnecting the harddisk.

I know about people who added a delay in neek startup, but I can't remember if that fixed all their issues.

Thank you very much! :yay: I finally figured out what was wrong... I went to the manufacturer website and there it says I need to download a program to format the hdd to FAT32. Formated it with the program and now everything is working like a charm! ^^

Again, thank you!

ocihc80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sorry guys if this question is already answered, but please direct me to it or comment how can I make it work.

My question is: I have a working SNEEK+DI installation for the past 2years. What is the best way to update it to play new games or to become NEEK20? I tried before Modmii but having problems with my file structure because I tried various times to make it work but in the end only black screen.

MAny many thanks for your support.

hobbya

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Sorry guys if this question is already answered, but please direct me to it or comment how can I make it work.

My question is: I have a working SNEEK+DI installation for the past 2years. What is the best way to update it to play new games or to become NEEK20? I tried before Modmii but having problems with my file structure because I tried various times to make it work but in the end only black screen.

MAny many thanks for your support.

When you built neek2o by Modmii, how many files were found under the sneek folder to be copied to the USB device? When I ran Modmii under Chinese Windows, only font.bin were built and the resultant neek2o setup wont work. But when I used English Windows to operate Modmii all 3 files: di.bin, font.bin and kernel.bin were built into the sneek folder and it worked ok.

Just my 2 cents.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
font.bin isn't generated. It's just downloaded. Since you are not telling us what you have done, we can't tell you what you did wrong.

But a good guess might be, you didn't follow modmii.

loismustdie555

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made sneek+di stuff with modmii and placed all the files on my SD card but my Wii still boots as if I did nothing (to system menu). I am completely new to sneek and don't know how to boot sneek, I have searched Google until the results turn to random garbage and still have no idea how to BOOT sneek AFTER putting all files on the SD card. Can someone please tell me step by step how to prevent my Wii from booting to system menu and boot into sneek?

EDIT: Ok, I installed neek2o_nk2O_1.wad and loaded it from the system menu waited a bit then did the initial setup and after the screen saying "Press A To Continue" I get a black screen and I have to turn off the wii with the power button on the console. Why is it not working?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Code:
http://code.google.com/p/janeek/
bootneek01.rar contains a wad. If you install that wad onto your wii, you will have a channel to boot into sneek environment.
The google custom_di svn containing the neek2o work has similar wad's. Some people have problem using those with sneek2o.

sneek2o + di has a bug. Sometimes, it won't boot and just hangs into a black screen.

Older methods are based upon replacing the sd card bootmii folder armboot.bin file.
If you have bootmii @ boot2, the wii will boot directly into sneek after you changed the file.
If your wii is only having bootmii @ ios, you will need to launch bootmii with the homebrew channel, or any other method that can launch ios 254

If you don't have bootmii @ boot2, you can use priiloader to make your wii boot into neek environment directly.

loismustdie555

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code:
http://code.google.com/p/janeek/
bootneek01.rar contains a wad. If you install that wad onto your wii, you will have a channel to boot into sneek environment.
The google custom_di svn containing the neek2o work has similar wad's. Some people have problem using those with sneek2o.

sneek2o + di has a bug. Sometimes, it won't boot and just hangs into a black screen.

Older methods are based upon replacing the sd card bootmii folder armboot.bin file.
If you have bootmii @ boot2, the wii will boot directly into sneek after you changed the file.
If your wii is only having bootmii @ ios, you will need to launch bootmii with the homebrew channel, or any other method that can launch ios 254

If you don't have bootmii @ boot2, you can use priiloader to make your wii boot into neek environment directly.

Still didn't work, with either method for bootmii or installing NEEK2O - NK2O_2.wad from bootneek1.rar

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What version are you using? sneek(2o) or uneek(2o) + di or without di ?
What emulated nand are you using? How is it set up.
How long did you wait when you saw the black screen?
Did anything change in the sd card sneek folder. Did anything change in the nand folder structures.
How is your sd card formatted? What's it's cluster size?

loismustdie555

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version are you using? sneek(2o) or uneek(2o) + di or without di ?
What emulated nand are you using? How is it set up.
How long did you wait when you saw the black screen?
Did anything change in the sd card sneek folder. Did anything change in the nand folder structures.
How is your sd card formatted? What's it's cluster size?

I'm using Sneek(2o)+di.
My emu nand is my first dump from the softmod and wii guide (on another site) using Boot Mii.
About 10 Minutes.
No, and No.
San Disk 16GB Micro SD inside a San Disk Micro SD to SD adapter, and Fat32 with 64kb Cluster. (Yes I know the guide said 32kb but I need my GameCube backups to load as fast as possible.)

It's Ok though because I went back to USB Loader GX, but if there's a problem with my setup please let me know.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A 64kb cluster size is not supported (yet). You need 32K or smaller.
Another option is using uneek2o with the emulated nand on the harddisk.
It boots to the menu faster than the sneek(2o) version.

If the nand you dumped was having priiloader installed, it's better to replace that one with the uneek compatible one from the custom_di google svn.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.