Gaming SMG2 "could not read disc' error

paulie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to play SMG2 but on my first playthrough I got the 'could not read disc' error (grey rectangle displaying this error message) right after finishing the first plant boss for the very first star.
On the second attempt i got the same message halfway through the 2d introduction part.

I'm using the scrubbed ind release on a 3.1E Pal wii.
I got a wiikey but the game would'nt load through the disc channel so I booted it up using neogamma loader since I also softmodded my wii.
I got New Super Mario Bros working perfectly fine (also through neogamma loader) after I installed the cIos needed for that (going to look up which one that exactly was in a bit)
Should i finally move on to a newer then 3.1e firmware version for my wii, or would installing another IOS also do the trick?
I never updated my firmware since I always got confused on how to safely do that, so any hints on how to move on from 3.1e would also be very appreciated.
I hope anyone can help me.

EDIT: IOS 249 (rev15) appears to be the IOS i last installed according to the neogamma loader menu

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno, but I imagine updating your Wii to 4.2 will help. Mine's softmodded on that with NeoGamma and SMG2 works just fine.

bluenose2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i got it to work with my d2cpro chip pal wii i regionfrii the iso then ran it through gekoos runs like a dream i am on official 4.2e

paulie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW: I just tried running it through gecko loader since it's still burning.
The game would not load since I need IOS 56 for it.
Could this be causing the problem when i run it through neogamma?
Weird thing is that gecko wont laod the game at all and neogamma does but crashes the game after some gameplay.
EDIT: after installing ios56 from NUSD i get a green screen with gecko loader.
Also with the new burned disc.
Going to try neogamma with this new burned disc now.
EDIT2: still getting the same error message after finishing off the first boss/star.
Grabbing the unscrubbed release as we speak, should be done in 20 minutes.
Would upgrading from firmware version 3.1e to the newest possibly harm my wii in any way?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
paulie said:
Would upgrading from firmware version 3.1e to the newest possibly harm my wii in any way?
Nope, but it will delete your Homebrew Channel and stub some IOSes (like the IOS249 slot).

Just follow this guide: http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-2-below
and everything will return to normal. On top of that, you won't have any problem with new games for a LOT of time
wink.gif

paulie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grabbed and burned the unscrubbed iso and things working fine now!
Will update to 4.2 tomorrow to finally get that done.
Thanks everybody!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1