Hacking Smea's iosuhax

Jow Banks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Has anybody else looked at what's inside SMEA's IOSUHax he put up on Github?
I worked with a while and was actually able to get it to run all the way through.

What it does is patch a decoded FW.IMG file, add in a whole bunch of hacks to allow access to IOSU then re-compiles a new encrypted FW.IMG file.
The new file has all of the checksums turned off and a new wupserver hook turned on that allows you to connect inside IOSU via an client app running on a PC.

Example (theres more than just this)
Code:
NEW_TIMEOUT equ (0xFFFFFFFF) ; over an hour

; fix 10 minute timeout that crashes MCP after 10 minutes of booting
.org 0x05022474
   .word NEW_TIMEOUT

; hook main thread to start our thread ASAP
.org 0x05056718
   .arm
   bl mcpMainThread_hook

; patch OS launch sig check
.org 0x0500A818
   .thumb
   mov r0, #0
   mov r0, #0

; patch IOSC_VerifyPubkeySign to always succeed
.org 0x05052C44
   .arm
   mov r0, #0
   bx lr

.org 0x050282AE
   .thumb
   bl launch_os_hook

; patch pointer to fw.img loader path
.org 0x050284D8
   .word fw_img_path

.org CODE_BASE
   .arm
   mcpMainThread_hook:
     mov r11, r0
     push {r0-r11,lr}
     sub sp, #8

mov r0, #0x78
     str r0, [sp] ; prio
     mov r0, #1
     str r0, [sp, #4] ; detached
     ldr r0, =wupserver_entrypoint ; thread entrypoint
     mov r1, #0 ; thread arg
     ldr r2, =wupserver_stacktop ; thread stacktop
     mov r3, #wupserver_stacktop - wupserver_stack ; thread stack size
     bl MCP_SVC_CREATETHREAD

cmp r0, #0
     blge MCP_SVC_STARTTHREAD

ldr r1, =0x050BD000 - 4
     str r0, [r1]

add sp, #8
     pop {r0-r11,pc}

The question is, how can we load this onto a wii-u ?
Would it help to take a older wii-u, like on 5.3.2 then figure out a way to get it to update to 5.5.1 using the modified FW.IMG file?

I'd be willing to "risk-a-bricked 5.32" to try if this might work.
(the wii-u's kinda boring anyways, so no big loss)

Jow Banks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm ready to sacrifice my wiiu for the cause - anyone wanna help me figure out how to load the SMEA modified FW.img to my 5.3.2 box?

readytodoit.jpg

Jow Banks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It seems to me that everyone was just waiting for the kexploit and now that it's out - no one cares about iosu anymore.
I couldn't care less about kexploit - I already has a 5.3.2 and am bored to bonkers with it.

The wiiu is a lame-duck console, just waiting on the final bullet-to-the-head when the NX is released.
Why did everyone give up on getting iosu working on it so fast?

Since FOF and SMEA have left the console hacking scene, this will most likely be the final console that we will ever get to hack like this.

<snip>

Last edited by Jow Banks,
Reactions: 4gionz

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOSU is the only reason I haven't sold my Wii U yet. It's been a rather disappointing system that I was hoping to get a little extra mileage out of, as I've long since played all the worthwhile games. I'd definitely get rid of it if we knew nothing more would come of it by the time NX comes out, but I guess there's always hope.

I'd probably scrounge up all the cheap used Wii U's on eBay if I thought it would do any good but I feel like the adults have left us with safety scissors and non-toxic glue

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOSU is the only reason I haven't sold my Wii U yet. It's been a rather disappointing system that I was hoping to get a little extra mileage out of, as I've long since played all the worthwhile games. I'd definitely get rid of it if we knew nothing more would come of it by the time NX comes out, but I guess there's always hope.

I'd probably scrounge up all the cheap used Wii U's on eBay if I thought it would do any good but I feel like the adults have left us with safety scissors and non-toxic glue
you should complain more!

Jow Banks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Well, it looks like there were only two a few of us that cared about IOSU, and no one else wants even talk about it anymore. :(
I guess this proves Loadiine was all everyone was after and no one wants USB, Disk Loading, BluRay, Linux, Un-Brickable Wii U, Auto Exploit and all of the other fun stuff that could have been done.
(By the way, there's more than just Piracy - it's called HomeBrew and Console Hax)

If this was all they wanted, seems instead of waiting they could have saved a lot of time by selling their 5.5.1 and buying a 5.3.2

Last edited by Jow Banks,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, it looks like there were only two of us that cared about IOSU, and no one else wants even talk about it anymore. :(
I guess this proves Loadiine was all everyone was after and no one wants USB, Disk Loading, BluRay, Linux and all of the other fun stuff that could have been done.

If this was all they wanted, seems instead of waiting they could have saved a lot of time by selling their 5.5.1 and buying a 5.3.2
You must only be a member on this forum ...

kenryuakuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it looks like there were only two of us that cared about IOSU, and no one else wants even talk about it anymore. :(
I guess this proves Loadiine was all everyone was after and no one wants USB, Disk Loading, BluRay, Linux and all of the other fun stuff that could have been done.
(By the way, there's more than just Piracy - it's called HomeBrew)

Wrong I have been patiently waiting for the IOSU as well. I still do not like the way how everything has to go through the internet connection before being able to be used before there is no guarantee 100% success rate because of the race attack. With IOSU maybe people can come up with an emunand solution, which does not force users to update in order to play the game they own.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe