Smash Ultimate gets 8.1.0 update

super-smash-bros-ultimate_version810.PNG

A brand new Smash update just dropped, and it's a bit of an interesting one. In one of the larger news bulletins, we now have a stage called "Small Battlefield" which is Battlefield, minus the top platform.

small battlefield.PNG

Smattlefield, in addition to Battlefield, Bigglefield, and Final Destination, can now have any stage-specific music selected when playing on them.

There are also a number of Online-related changes, though to burst your bubble right out the gate, there is no mention of latency-reduction specifically. There's been an unspecified "adjustment" made to the way Preferred Rules are implemented online, presumably making them take effect more consistently while matchmaking, as well as a reduction in the GP threshold to enter Elite Smash.

Included is a small glimmer of hope for the future of Ultimate's online, in that the patch notes mention "the online user experience has been adjusted" as well as that "further investigations and adjustments to Online modes are expected." While again, the large latency users experience when playing Ultimate online hasn't been specifically mentioned in these patch notes, could it be possible to expect the issue addressed in further updates?

Stage

– The Small Battlefield stage has been added. You can also set Small Battlefield as Preferred Rule in Online battles.
– You can now select any stage-specific music for the Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination stages.

– The online user experience has been adjusted.
– The way matching is determined while using Preferred Rules has been adjusted.
– Following a look at the number of players eligible for Elite Smash, the threshold for entry has been recalculated to allow more players. Additionally, the way initial values for Global Smash Power are calculated has also been adjusted.

Further investigations and adjustments to Online modes are expected.

General

– Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.

Not many things are certain here, aside from the fact that Nintendo is stubbornly sticking to their trend of incredibly vague patch notes. Just how much, and in what other ways, the online experience has or has not been improved will need to be revealed with time and testing.

:arrow:Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. :P
Well, I main Terry, so he's not exactly low tier. ^_^

Zoners were initially a problem for me, but I've vastly improved my aerial/platform movement and timing since then, so I don't really have any issue closing the gap and sticking to my target now. At my current GSP it's just all about getting more good reads on the opponent than they get on me, trying to remain unpredictable and all that. I'm sure I'll get over this wall eventually, but I'll probably never be anywhere near pro level.

Last edited by Xzi,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aside from the fact that Nintendo is stubbornly sticking to their trend of incredibly vague patch notes.
Surprise Mechanics, amirite?

But seriously, Nintendo would be rolling in the dough if they could find some way to monetize all the endless speculation about what Nintendo should be doing.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sold on just being able to pick any song I want on those stages as is. It's always irked me that there was no stage you could go into and just pick whatever you wanted.

Trophies
XP
Small battlefield is a great competitive stage and I'm really happy it looks like they're going to be looking into online. I've completely quit Ultimate until quarantine is over because of how unenjoyable online is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe I'll finally get around to making the push into elite smash, at least with my main. The competition is no joke up around 5-6 million GSP, and previously I think the threshold for elite was around 8 million.
it was 7.4 million before, not sure how low it is now

Lazlo52

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for them to bring back a For Fun quickplay option. l really don't need a global score in front of me just to hop into a quick two minute match. Or at the least, let us fight CPUs in friend Arenas. Why can't we have a friendly-fire team match versus some high level CPUs?

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/super-smash-bros-melee-online-rollback-update

Well, some fans were able to get rollback netcode working on Melee, I think it could be pretty possible.

I didn't say it was impossible. If you read the very next sentence in my post which you quoted, you can see I mentioned it would be difficult to implement if they didn't start from the beginning.

Also, I am well aware about Melee having a working netcode, but you should know that it almost took 20 years for this netcode to be made public. In addition, the melee modding community made this possible, and not Nintendo. Speaking of which, I did mention I was referring to Nintendo in my post, and not the modding community or whatever.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
*At Nintendo's HQ...*
"Quick, we gotta do something to distract people from the leaks! Do some crap on smash right now Slaveurai!"
"Fine."
*Removes platforms from battlefield*
"Here. New stage. Out."
*Goes back to wank at lewds of Bowsette*

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about, following in line with something else Nintendo is fond of...
Battlefield Classic Edition Mini!

upload_2020-8-6_15-17-34.png

To simulate the rarity of other Classic Edition Minis, this stage will only be patched in to 1% of all game owners.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay