1. 5,846

Front-page
    super-smash-bros-ultimate_version810.PNG
    A brand new Smash update just dropped, and it's a bit of an interesting one. In one of the larger news bulletins, we now have a stage called "Small Battlefield" which is Battlefield, minus the top platform.

small battlefield.PNG
    Smattlefield, in addition to Battlefield, Bigglefield, and Final Destination, can now have any stage-specific music selected when playing on them.

There are also a number of Online-related changes, though to burst your bubble right out the gate, there is no mention of latency-reduction specifically. There's been an unspecified "adjustment" made to the way Preferred Rules are implemented online, presumably making them take effect more consistently while matchmaking, as well as a reduction in the GP threshold to enter Elite Smash.

Included is a small glimmer of hope for the future of Ultimate's online, in that the patch notes mention "the online user experience has been adjusted" as well as that "further investigations and adjustments to Online modes are expected." While again, the large latency users experience when playing Ultimate online hasn't been specifically mentioned in these patch notes, could it be possible to expect the issue addressed in further updates?

Stage

– The Small Battlefield stage has been added. You can also set Small Battlefield as Preferred Rule in Online battles.
    – You can now select any stage-specific music for the Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination stages.

– The online user experience has been adjusted.
    – The way matching is determined while using Preferred Rules has been adjusted.
    – Following a look at the number of players eligible for Elite Smash, the threshold for entry has been recalculated to allow more players. Additionally, the way initial values for Global Smash Power are calculated has also been adjusted.

Further investigations and adjustments to Online modes are expected.

General

– Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.

Not many things are certain here, aside from the fact that Nintendo is stubbornly sticking to their trend of incredibly vague patch notes. Just how much, and in what other ways, the online experience has or has not been improved will need to be revealed with time and testing.

:arrow:Source

2. Discussion (34 replies)

3. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Fan

Ring dong dang intensifies

4. JonJaded

JonJaded GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Rollback in Ultimate?

(not)

5. Meteor7

OP Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.
    Contributor

United States
    The day Ultimate gets rollback implemented, expect a lot more than just a measly news post. Expect champagne bottles being popped, confetti released, and grieving cards sent to the families of the virgins sacrificed in order to cause such an unearthly miracle as Nintendo actually implementing industry-standard netcode into their games.

6. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

United States
    I'll keep up the virgin sacrifices, then

7. Seliph

Seliph Antifa gamer gf

United States
    Funny that they say they added improvements to online because the first game I played immediately after the update timed out as soon as the match started

8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Can we get the "every song from every franchise represented" rule implemented in all stages? I need my Castlevania and KOF tunes on every stage, and, if Nintendo were to actually get a rep from the series in, Guilty Gear!

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  9. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Maybe I'll finally get around to making the push into elite smash, at least with my main. The competition is no joke up around 5-6 million GSP, and previously I think the threshold for elite was around 8 million.

Last edited by Xzi, Aug 5, 2020
    MarkDarkness likes this.
  10. Seliph

Seliph Antifa gamer gf

United States
    I don't think they lowered the threshold much tbh, before the update I had my Wii Fit in and out of elite smash multiple times, generally hovering around the 7.5 to 7.6 million gsp range (I can't remember ever getting higher than 7.7 million). Most recently I had 7.4 million with Wii Fit after getting kicked out of elite smash earlier today but as soon as the update happened, my Wii Fit was suddenly back in elite smash with 7.4 million.

I always wonder, maybe each character has a different gsp threshold for getting into Elite Smash? I really don't know how it works.

Xzi likes this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Don't you think that would break the theme or "immersive experience" of the game? I mean sure it be nice, but it just makes sense. Going to a mario stage and suddenly hearing metroid music would just feel like something is wrong. Of course anyone is free to just mute the music and just play whatever song from their MP3 stereo or something. :P

But maybe they could have the compositions of other songs... using the same kind of tune or instruments that would be interesting. Like a remix of castlevania music by mario music composure. When it sounds like something you would hear in a mario game, but it plays the theme of simon. (If that makes sense) Kind of like mash ups. 8-bit mega man interpretation of sonic's green hill zone. :creep:
    Good luck with that, I know how it plays online, you will need all the luck you can get. :ninja:

To be brutally honest, this GSP system kinda reminds me of Street fighter IV. In that game, there was a oddball ranking system. Player points and battle points. Player points was for deciding the player's total experience and rank. Battle points was specific to each character, and depending how much battle points your character had, they were given a grade from Like E-A almost like the ranks in sonic adventure 2. That's cause the ranks were divided by player's total experience and characters used from all players. It didn't make much since in that game and doesn't make any more sense in smash bros now. :blink:

12. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Not even sure if Nintendo can or will implement proper rollback netcode at this point. From what I read about rollback, you need to implement from the start during development. Else, rollback would be really hard to implement. Because of this reason, I have higher hopes of rollback in the next Smash game than this one.

13. Xzi

United States
    Honestly I don't get too many laggy matches online, maybe one out of every twenty, so I can't really blame that for losses. People just really know what they're doing at 5+ million, and almost nobody is playing low-tier characters.

14. Seliph

Seliph Antifa gamer gf

United States
  15. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    So what, you mean people pick like sonic and ness or something? Cause I seen videos all over youtube about people hating very specific characters for being too good in online environment compared to offline. :ninja:

16. Seliph

Seliph Antifa gamer gf

United States
    I encountered a sonic earlier today and it was the worst experience.
    1. They were playing sonic
    2. We were on Final Destination
    3. Their ruleset was 100 hp and 1 stock
    4. They were incredibly laggy

I lost in 15 seconds and only got one hit on them. Saddest experience of my life

17. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Sounds like the description of every youtube video that I get recommended to see. :P

Silent_Gunner and Seliph like this.
  18. Silent_Gunner

United States
    That would be cool, but I can't imagine having a team or group of people arrange every single tune with every style under the sun. Like, imagine a Bossa-Nova mix of Vampire Killer for Delfino Plaza, or a more jazzy remix that's specific to Smash for New Donk City, in addition to an epic mix for the Zelda stages...

The only way I could see that happening is if they did some fuckery where they had some synthesizer they pre-programmed that's using some advanced AI to re-arrange every song in every style on the fly or something like that.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

"That's only gonna happen on Yuzu...RyujiNX? That name's familiar...have they done anything in a year?" are my thoughts on that situation.

19. Xzi

United States
    Nah, mostly Joker, Lucina/Chrom, Roy, Link/Young Link, Cloud, Pikachu, Fox/Wolf, G&W, Pac-Man, etc. Characters that are high tier both online and off. I wouldn't say there's one specific character I have a lot of trouble against any more, they all just manage to turn most matches into nail-biters.

20. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Or just maybe some talented people. :creep:

Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. :P

Silent_Gunner and Xzi like this.
  21. Silent_Gunner

United States
    But that's music LegendOfRenegade (at least I assume) arranges through a tracker and who's done so many tracks in that style that it makes me wish he had a .flac archive of all of his work over the years (I could also say the same of individuals like WizzyWhipItWonderful's and GenesisKeys' CPS2/CPS3 Originals as well). Not a live recording session that I've always assumed that these composers have used ever since using "real" instruments has been possible with streamed video game tracks within the games themselves!

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Ultimate, update, Smash