Gaming Smash Brawl USA DVD9 on DVD5 Working

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just burned the DVD9 copy of Smash Bros. Brawl USA onto a DVD5, and I can confirm that it works just like the DVD5 release of the Japanese Brawl.

For those of you with Wiis that have issues reading dual-layer disks (one of mine can, one of mine can't), if you'd like to do this yourself, just get your dirty paws on the DVD9 iso and open it in IMGBurn. Insert your DVD5 of choice and initiate the burning process. Chose to continue when it reminds you that there won't be enough space on the selected destination media, and burn away. The burn will fail at 55% with errors saying the destination media can't fit the rest of the data and tell it to cancel the burn. It will then ask you if you would like to attempt to finalize the disk, and hit yes, because otherwise I would assume the burn will not work.

As I was typing this, my DVD5 version was idling and during the instructional video or the "how to play" video, it froze and gave an error right after Mario smashed Bowser. Don't know if the same happens with the Japanese version because I never let it get that far. But I did successfully play a versus match, so I know the game works.

Update: Apparantly you can use the program WiiScrubber found here on GBAtemp to "scrub" the disk and it will output a DVD5 iso for you, wiiscrubbed as well. This is due to the Wii scrubber not having dual-layer support, so it will just output a 4.7 gb iso. So there's another way to make the DVD9 SSBB fit on a DVD5, but to me it seems easier to just burn the DVD9 onto a DVD5 as Wiiscrubber will probably take some time to output the DVD5 iso for you.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
when wii scrubbed the game becomes 4.37gb

so if someone can remove that junk data with trucha signer we could burn the whole thing on a dvd5.

yaggermr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm burning wii scrubbed version as i type. I'll post my results once i test the game. I've tried dual layer burn using recommend setting resulting in 3 unstable iso's . They play but glitch out a lot. Ohh yeah I have a wii key modchip.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yaggermr said:
I'm burning wii scrubbed version as i type. I'll post my results once i test the game. I've tried dual layer burn using recommend setting resulting in 3 unstable iso's . They play but glitch out a lot. Ohh yeah I have a wii key modchip.

cool let us know how it works out

yaggermr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works but its still glitchy. I'm reburing the single layer version at 1x with nero instead of image burn to see if it gets more stable. buring now.

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Bob Loblaw said:

so if someone can remove that junk data with trucha signer we could burn the whole thing on a dvd5.

I promise you that Nintendo isn't using a DVD9 disc just to fit more garbage data. It is more expensive after all.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
robi said:
Bob Loblaw said:

I promise you that Nintendo isn't using a DVD9 disc just to fit more garbage data. It is more expensive after all.

It probably costs a few dollars extra per disc and think about the piracy rates they curbed. People on here that ususally download the games are now installing switches to SHUT THEIR MODCHIP OFF so they can BUY THE GAME and play it. I'd say it's worth it on nintendos end.

yaggermr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actual it's gets scrubbed down to 4.3 gigs I believe it's anti piracy related. The game wii scrubbed single layer game i burned is stable in all modes except adventure but still have to play more to confirm.

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yaggermr, I think you may be confusing the Wiiscrubbed version with a single layer version. Wiiscrubber takes trash data and modifies it so it can compress more easily, that way when the iso is extracted, it returns to the original size of the disk.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yaggermr said:
actual it's gets scrubbed down to 4.3 gigs I believe it's anti piracy related. The game wii scrubbed single layer game i burned is stable in all modes except adventure but still have to play more to confirm.

What process did you use to get this working?

Like scrub then burn? what did you burn with? etc. because like tomobobo i wasn't sure if wiiscrubber worked like that but i'm not famailiar with scrubbing games really.

piepants

Trophies
Website
itspudding.com
XP
Country
Doesn't work for me - here's the ImgBurn log.. I'm not quite sure what the error means.

Code:
W 12:30:05 User accepted disc space warning and is attempting to overburn!
I 12:30:06 Operation Started!
I 12:30:06 Source File: O:\Super Smash Bros. Brawl.iso
I 12:30:06 Source File Sectors: 4,155,840 (MODE1/2048)
I 12:30:06 Source File Size: 8,511,160,320 bytes
I 12:30:06 Source File Volume Identifier: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I 12:30:06 Source File File System(s): None
I 12:30:06 Destination Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N RL00 (F:) (ATA)
I 12:30:06 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 16x, 18x)
I 12:30:06 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496
I 12:30:06 Write Mode: DVD
I 12:30:06 Write Type: DAO
I 12:30:06 Write Speed: 16x
I 12:30:06 Link Size: Auto
I 12:30:06 Test Mode: No
I 12:30:06 OPC: Yes
I 12:30:06 BURN-Proof: Enabled
E 12:30:34 Failed to Reserve Track! - Invalid Field in CDB
E 12:30:35 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:29
I 12:30:35 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

yaggermr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No i used wii scrubbed and it does remove crap data and reduces the size to a single layer dvd try it yourself i'm not confused. I'm running it on my wii on a single layer dvd as we speak.

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I don't get it, but ok. It just doesn't make sence because wii scrubber outputs an iso that's the same size as the original iso, maybe it's because wiiscrubber only knows how to handle single layer isos, so it rips and scrubbs the first layer and then outputs a 4.7 gb iso. That would make sense, especially because your wiiscubbed dual layer acts like a single layer copy.

yaggermr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah you could be right i could be missing data but wii scrubber does produce a single layer iso from the 8.5 gig. iso I ran it with wii scrubber myself maybe this will help someone else. Try it only takes about ten minutes to build a new iso with wii scrubber it works maybe it shouldn't but it does.

Posts merged

this is the process I used i downloaded key.bin file from a place on usenet. I placed this in same folder as wiiscrubber exe. I ran wii scrubber by hitting the clear and save button. ended up with a a single iso at 4,699,979,776 bytes or 4.37GB . then I burned using image burn and nero tried both to see if one worked better both copies worked. however adventure errors after kirby mario fight possible because there no data past that point.

djsika

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
platypusrme427 said:
Wiiscrubber only reads the first layer. Therefore, it just reads the first layer and saves that as a scrubbed file. So DVD5 version is much easier to make that it seems.

isnt most the game files on the 2nd layer though? or are the layers & partitios 2 different things, im gonna try wiiscrubber now on the dvd9 as i'm out dl discs lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: