ROM Hack [Smash 3DS] Complete ROM Hacking guide (Textures, music, SFX/voice clips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manito

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated the build on the first post. The main reason for the update is because I added a bch texture replacer and a creator for the *.mbn Super Smash Bros model. They are both inside the "Tools" menu. Since I have no means to test the modified/created files, I'm waiting someone kind enough to test it for me and report if it's working in-game.

To use the BCH replacer:
- Go to Tools > BCH texture replacer...
- A new window will open, now click in File > Open and select the bch file that you want to modify
- Now select the texture you want to replace on the list, click on the "Replace" button and open the new texture
- You can also use Export all and Replace all to work with all textures at once
- Once you finish editing, click in "Save" to write the changes back to the original file. Be careful.
This one don't have any limitation regarding the texture sizes, and it don't have the compression quality loss aswell. Just make sure that the width and height are a power of two and that it isn't bigger than the max size the PICA200 supports (1024x1024 iirc). Also note that I didn't added support for the 14241342435365346439 different container formats used on Pokémon.

To use the Sm4sh model creator:
- Go to Tools > Sm4sh model creator...
- Click on the first folder button, and open the input model file (must be in OBJ or SMD format, SMD supports bones so I recommend it)
- Click on the second folder button, and "save" the output *.mbn file where you want
- Now click on "Create". When it finishes, a message saying "Done!" will appear.

Note that both tools are largely untested, as I don't have a 3DS to test them so they may very well just make the game crash. That's why I uploaded the test build.

The program have other changes aswell, so if anyone notices a regression let me know.

Reactions: ArcPh1r3

CorBond57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So transparency works, kinda...know how I did it.....

6tOIqDs.jpg
yknow, just a thought, but have you tried checking out Wireframe Mac's textures? his body is half transparent, it might just help you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

model stuff
Holy crap.

I would need the .obj of him since the one already in will crash unless you mess with it in a 3d model program or whatever, I might get to him later, but for now.....someone very dear to me and many people's hearts ^_^
Fuck it, guess i'll try messing around with Chrom then. Maybe Lyn too if i feel like it.

Last edited by CorBond57,

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wanted to at first and switch it with Corrin's dragon transformation for the Winner's screen, but I was gonna try and get Deadpool to go over Captain Falcon xD
But I've hit a roadblock, when you convert to a *.mdn, it doesn't create a *.bch so it doesn't have any textures and doesn't seem to be easy to add them back.

yknow, just a thought, but have you tried checking out Wireframe Mac's textures? his body is half transparent, it might just help you.

Good idea, I'll check it out when I can. Thanks for the idea :)

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is, but the huge problem with it is that so far I don't think you can get the textures to be contained, and they don't get exported to a *.bch either.
I'm sure someone will figure out a solution soon. This is all I've ever wanted. :) Well this and custom animations/movesets.

Manito

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is, but the huge problem with it is that so far I don't think you can get the textures to be contained, and they don't get exported to a *.bch either.
I just found out how to get textures to show.(sorta)
Get a normal.bch from a character
Put it in the same directory as the converted .mbn
Open up the .mbn
See where the textures show up
Copy over the textures to the right place
Import textures
Done

Last edited by Manito,

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just found out how to get textures to show.(sorta)
Get a normal.bch from a character
Put it in the same directory as the converted .mbn
Open up the .mbn
See where the textures show up
Copy over the textures to the right place
Import textures
Done

That was the first thing I tried, sadly it doesn't work since it doesn't "fit" the model.

ArcPh1r3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried reimporting my textures to improve the quality and now the game won't load at all. Is anybody else having issues with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q