small question about ak and sc

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Langin, Jan 12, 2010.

?

Supercard dstwo or I player?

1. SuperCard DSTWO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Iplayer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I really dont care, I dont give any advice to you!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jan 12, 2010

small question about ak and sc by Langin at 7:16 PM (1,540 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Langin
    OP

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    well I have an acekard 2i and I want to buy and supercard dstwo but... I found out Iplayer is cheaper so wat should I do? wait for supercard dstwo or buy an Iplayer?

edit 1: wrong title srry!
    edit2: added poll ( i donĀ“t gonna vote

2. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    I would go for Supercard DStwo. Or buy them both [​IMG]

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    keep in mind that iPlayer will not load roms

4. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    SCDS2 cuz it has what the iplayer has and more.

5. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    hmm well yea thats true but Iplayer is cheaper... and I already have an Ackerd 2i so should I really wait?

6. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    It's not really known if the DSTwo will be more expensive than the iPlayer. It's just an easy guess that it will be. Either way, get the DSTwo because of it's features.

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You've got a flashcart that will play commercial games already. Unless you really need a single cart to do everything, why wait? It could easily be many months before the SCDS2 actually hits the market, and we don't even know if it will be better than the iPlayer for videos and emulation.

8. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    i'd prefer a single cart that could do it all in one. I'd get a SCDS2. you'd need a second microSD, you'd need to have both carts on hand in case you wanted to switch, etc.

...on second thought you could probably keep them both on one but it'd be frustrating knowing your game is there but you have to switch from iplayer to acekard2i to play them. and you'd still ahve to have both carts.

9. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Isn't the iPlayer manufactured by the SC team?
    And isn't the SCDSTwo going to have the same or similar specs?

If so... unless they had a stipulation stating that the SC team couldn't sell a similar product for the same price or cheaper, the SC team would be rather silly to charge more money for their product as offering the SCDSTwo for the same price would totally kill the iPlayer for the fact that it's the same thing but with commercial ROM loading.

Obviously the iPlayer is marked up enough for them to be making a fair profit...
    And I'm sure the manufacturing team is making some money on the deal.
    By selling the same product at the same price they'd be making a larger profit than the iPlayer people.
    Example...
    The iPlayer is $40. Lets say parts + labor + shipping run the cost to $30/card.
    The manufacturing team takes it's cut, $3/card and the retailers take their cut of $2... that leaves iPlayer $5 profit/card.
    If the manufacturing team were to sell them at the same $40, they'd make $8 profit/card with the retailers $2/card cut.
    -- I actually think the profits per card are a bit lower, but this is just an example.

10. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    hmm this is very good advice thanks guys!(this is very usefull!) I gonna choose sc dstwo!

11. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    the DSTwo probably won't play videos though. supercard never said it would, and it'd make sense from their perspective to leave out the iPlayer's main feature to avoid competing with their own product. ideally they'd want people to buy both, after all.

12. Destructobot

United States
    You say that like the SCDS2 is going to be the last flashcart that will ever have extra hardware in it, and they aren't going to have to compete with other companies. Do you seriously think there won't be a new M3 or Acekard or something that will play videos just like the iPlayer?

13. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Yes. The iPlayer uses the same SoC (System on a Chip) as the dingoo and its software is even based on the dingoo software meaning they have contacts in the dingoo team. I seriously doubt any other flashcart team does.

14. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Wait, really? If that's true, then that explains quite a bit. Like how they can pull an SNES emulator out of thin air, for instance. Hopefully there won't be the "can't press Y+B at the same time" issue that the Dingoo has.

15. Destructobot

United States
    Knowing the Supercard team, if it works but has issues, they'll just let you live with those issues.

16. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I think that issue was just a firmware issue. It's fixed in the Dingoo Linux (Dingux, IIRC).

17. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Personally I'll stick with the AK2i (+AKAIO +Moonshell2) until we know EXACTLY what the DSTwo is capable of

We know the DSTwo is a mashup of the iPlayer & DSOne - so IN THEORY it should be able Play ROMS, Homebrew, GBA, MP3 & Movies but exactly HOW it'll do it we don't know

Will it use an all-in-one files selector like Moonshell ?? where we choose any of the file types & it's run it straight away
    or
    Will we have an iPlayer 'main menu' where we choose the type of file we want to play (Movies/Homebrew/Music/GBA) & it'll load in the appropriate OS/App for it with a different type of file selector for each ??