Hacking Slot-1 card for browser... I already have a g6lite

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Whoops - Just realised I had posted this in the GBA section!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

As I understand, the official DS opera browser will work with a slot1 & slot2 flashcard combo. Is that correct?

As I already have a g6lite with passcard-3, I would like a slot-1 card just so I can use the browser without swapping cards and cartridges. This might seem a bit of an overspend, but I noticed that kaidomain are doing the R4 for what converts to about £15 GBP (or about £22 GBP with a 1GB SD card thrown in). This seems like a good price, for the convenience of having the DS browser on card... If it works.

Is there anything I should know? Will this setup work without a problem? Will the G6lite work okay as the slot2 memory cartridge? How does the slot2 memory emulation work - do I put a rom on the card that allocates the required memory space, leaving the rest of the G6 functioning normally?

I hear the R4 is a good card to get and is very popular round here. Can anyone confirm they have the official DS browser working on it?

Sorry about all the questions...

[updated]
Well I think I've found my answer here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=48381&hl= ...That the R4 and G6lite is a good combination for the browser, so I've just gone ahead and ordered the R4. Worked out to exactly £22.99 (for the 1GB sd bundle) after paypal currency conversion costs - absolute bargain!

"R4-DS Revolution Card Kingston 1GB Kit" at kaidomain.com

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure if Kaidomain specifies if they give you a Taiwanese card, but DealExtreme does. Then again, I've had no experience with Kaidomain (they're run by similar people)

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They say the R4 is the english version.

I know nothing of kaidomain either, I've also ordered a wiikey from them, which by the sounds of it is 99% likely to be a clone, so maybe the R4 might be a clone too? Do R4 clones exist?

...Anyway for the price, it's well worth a go I think, I can't believe they don't charge more for international delivery! I paid 3 times as much to get my G6lite (inc delivery). Maybe I'll be waiting a few months!!

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes I was. Thanks. I emailed them about it. Instead of answering (seemed like they had been asked it multiple times) they simply replied that they could guarantee it was a Kingston genuine.

jono_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have the browser working on my R4/G6 combo
wink.gif

http://www.ds-scene.net/forum/forum.php?topic=2524

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, you'll need to find the browser patch and patch the opera rom so that it can use the g6's memory.
then that rom should work fine on basically all slot one cards.

R4 is the most popular an bets value card out at the moment, in most peoples opinions, but don't forget there's also the g6/m3 real coming out soon which could prove to be an excellent card too. however we have no solid release date for the card and sometimes its better just to buy a card rather than waste your time waiting.

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys.

4saken, It's funny kaidomain felt the need to tell you it was "genuine". In fact their whole website bangs on about most things being "genuine" or "original"... It makes them sound like a dodgy watch salesman. It gives me an uncomfortable feeling that everything they sell is a fake or a clone. Mind you, they are selling dodgy chinese electronic knock-off products so to expect anything else is foolish.

What sort of problem might I have with a Taiwanese sd card?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks guys.

4saken, It's funny kaidomain felt the need to tell you it was "genuine". In fact their whole website bangs on about most things being "genuine" or "original"... It makes them sound like a dodgy watch salesman. It gives me an uncomfortable feeling that everything they sell is a fake or a clone. Mind you, they are selling dodgy chinese electronic knock-off products so to expect anything else is foolish.

What sort of problem might I have with a Taiwanese sd card?

Certain games not working (possibly more in the future). The biggest ones are common freezes in Castlevania:POR, and extreme slow down (1:1.5 seconds) in Tony Hawks: Downhill Jam. If you can handle that, go for it. Otherwise dealextreme offers a similar deal (a few cents more expensive) with a guaranteed Japanese card. Verified by myself
happy.gif

EDIT: Actually the ratio for TH:DJ is a bit less, it's more like 75 seconds to a minute

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks again 4saken. For now, I'll just stick with kaidomain I think, as I have already ordered. If the card is all that bad, I can allways sell it on ebay and get another sd seperately - I might be tempted by a 2GB one by then anyway.

Who knows, it might be a good one. I will update when it arrives, if I can tell the difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo