Sleeping Pills ?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Garouken, Mar 19, 2008.

Mar 19, 2008

Sleeping Pills ? by Garouken at 3:24 AM (2,336 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. Garouken
    OP

Member Garouken GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands

2. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    i suggest not taking any pills at all, trying exercising to get tired and avoid caffeine on the evening.

3. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    +9000
    QFFT

My mother also has sleeping problems, she uses medications. Even though she sleeps well now, her memory is deteriorating along with her senses of smell, pain and such. If you are old or disabled, nothing you can do. Otherwise, hike mountains, run at least 10 miles a day, and pump push ups until you can feel the earth moving.

4. podunk1269

Member podunk1269 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i use sleeping pills, those are pure shit, stick to one with melatonin and a unisom and you'll be fine

5. test84

Iran
    I suggested those ways but none work for me self.
    Only method that worked for me is to staying awake 1.5 days (24 hour + another 16 hour) and then I can sleep anytime i want and wake after 8 hours, but it has several problems, I feel pain in my chest while staying awake, It will have effect on hair loss, can easily be get back to bad habit and last but not least, needs a great will to stay awake on second day, dont recommend it to anyone. I tried pills (read my blog) but the only thing they did was to make my legs heavy, even after taking two of them at once (doubling the dose), no effect. even caffeine has no effect on me.

6. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Go on the 28 hour day.

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28-hour_day

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Take a 15 minute ice bath about an hour prior to going to bed. It will knock you out like a tranquilizer.

The 28 hour day isn't particularly easy to pull off for insomniacs. Have a few hours of not being able to sleep, your whole schedule gets fucked up, and you have to start over your timing.

A biphasic sleep pattern is much easier to adhere to. Personally, I use a 4.5 hour core sleep/1.5 hour afternoon nap and it works great.

8. Garouken
    OP

Member Garouken GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    why are they pure shit?

9. Thanubis

Banned Thanubis Banned

United States
  10. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Go to a doctor, he can probably help you! Don't just buy stuff like that on random.

11. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    I take some Nyquil when I can't sleep. It knocks me out in a few minutes. But before I go ot bed I usually relax for an 1 hour or so and play some fun games or watch TV.

12. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    That does not sound safe at all. :wtf:

If nothing else works for you sleeping pills are very useful. Just make sure you read up on whatever your doctor gives you and be aware that it might increase your problems because you get used to the medicine, need more pills, get used to that dose etc, until you can't sleep without a huge dose. But if you have a good doctor he should be able to guide you in this adequately.

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Its perfectly safe.

14. dakeyras

Netherlands
    Very silly question. Are we talking about actual ice or just cold water? [​IMG]

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    A bathtub of water with ice bags in it.

16. dakeyras

Netherlands
    I thought that around 15 minutes in water that is that cold is a sure way to get hypothermia. But if you've been doing it I suppose I am wrong? Oh well.

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Bathtub of tap water + two bags of ice is not the Arctic Ocean.

18. test84

Iran
    I believe you have to get used to it and its not a good prescription for anyone.

19. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Yah, if you sit around and do nothing in the tub and do nothing for 15 minutes then you can get cold, but not hypothermia. You know if you have hypothermia if you stop shivering. Think of sitting in a hot tub for like 10 minutes and then jumping into a pile of snow outside in like -10 degrees Celsius; hypothermia.

20. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Sleeping pills are the devil and should only be used in emergencies and for maybe one week maximum.

The addiction you can get from using a certain type of sleeping pill is only second to heroin.

Quite a few people say they found it easier to kick heroin than sleeping pills.

There's lots of ways to deal with insomnia but if you're really stuck on using some type of drug I'd recommend using cannabis. It's never killed anyone and has the lowest toxicity compared to sleeping pills/benzos.

You need to find out why you're having trouble sleeping. You can go to a sleep research clinic and they can put monitors on you while you sleep to try and find the problem. Exercise can really help and it's shown to be better than sleeping pills with some people.

Are you depressed or anxious about anything?

There's a whole range of sleeping pills and the herbal ones or the melatonin ones are much safer and shouldn't give you any trouble.