Sleep mode battery life tips?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by InfoAddict, Apr 18, 2014.

1. InfoAddict
    OP

InfoAddict GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2014
    Having the Gateway inserted hurts the battery life of sleep mode right? Is it possible to suspend the game and take the card out to negate such draining? Or is there a risk of damage to take the cart out while it's suspended the game and asleep?

Or is the sleep mode crap regardless of the Gateway?

2. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    it drains more battery/drains more battery in sleep mode? sure, i assume it does drain a little more, but i would not think it would even take 10% more... i think it is nothing to worry about whatsoever...
    maybe i'm wrong though :)

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    if you get out the cart while a game is running, the console will show "the game card was removed" black screen even if you put it again, so if you want to take the cart you need to turn of the game...

4. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    I never turn off my ds and leave it in sleep mode since I use a clone 3.0 and I can't be bothered to turn it on each time I want to play and having to get through the exploit freezing.. Some days I haven't plahyed in all the day and the battery hasn't lowered even one bar.. the sleep mode is really good and Id on't think there is a problem leaving the flashcard on as the system sees it as another game

5. InfoAddict
    OP

Mar 24, 2014
    The sleep mode is awful for me. I'm comparing it to a Vita which has a sleep mode like a smartphone.

6. MrEl

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States
    Putting in sleep mode will eventually affect 3DS' battery life... so I always turn it off.

7. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    I searched on google and there are people who have never turned their 3ds's from launch and to this day they are perfectly fine..

MrEl likes this.
  8. MrEl

MrEl GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    United States

I know that can be true, but I still think it will somewhat affect its battery life. >_<

9. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    So then buy a replacement battery? lol

I turn my unit off whenever I'm not using it for an extended period of time though, and for the same reason: I want to get as much out of this battery as I can. But I need to keep in mind that if I ever need a replacement battery, I can order one.

10. InfoAddict
    OP

Mar 24, 2014
    Good idea. I will definitely look into this.

IronClouds likes this.
  11. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    The sleep mode only lasts maybe 3 days with the 3DS, having the Gateway inserted hasn't affected it as far as I know. Turning wireless off will probably make it last quite a bit longer, but then you don't get streetpasses of course.