Gaming Skyward Sword graphics

Arkangelyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded an NTSC ISO, and so I used the 'Force PAL 50' option in USB Loader GX. But I also noticed a 'Force PAL 480p' option. What is the difference between PAL 50 and PAL 480p?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You should never force PAL50(PAL 576i) on NTSC games unless you really can't avoid it. If it works, it might cause timing related glitches or that the game runs slower than it should.

PAL50 = PAL576i at 50Hz and PAL 480p is at 60 Hz. The i means interlaced and the p means progressive, just google both. So 480p should be the superior video mode if your display works digitally.

Cilph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
^ I've noticed PAL 480p has slight graphics hiccups which might be annoying; NTSC 480p on the other hand works smoothly when forced. Yes, this is on the PAL version.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically there's no such thing as PAL or NTSC when discussing 480P. "PAL 480P" and "NTSC 480P" should be identical

In any case, PAL50 is "true" PAL - 720x525i @ 50Hz with the PAL color system. NTSC is 720x480i @ 60Hz with the colors encoded in the NTSC format (and carried at 3.15MHz iirc). PAL60 is sort of a hybrid - same resolution and refresh rate as NTSC, but the colors are encoded in the PAL format (and carried at something like 4.5MHz). When using component cables, the color systems become irrelevant; component cables allow for the color information to be sent with (nearly) no compression, and as such, you don't need the PAL or NTSC schemes to decode them. As such, PAL60 and NTSC are the exact same signal when displayed over component. And since 480P cannot be displayed with anything less than component, NTSC and PAL don't apply there either.

Arkangelyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically there's no such thing as PAL or NTSC when discussing 480P. "PAL 480P" and "NTSC 480P" should be identical

In any case, PAL50 is "true" PAL - 720x525i @ 50Hz with the PAL color system. NTSC is 720x480i @ 60Hz with the colors encoded in the NTSC format (and carried at 3.15MHz iirc). PAL60 is sort of a hybrid - same resolution and refresh rate as NTSC, but the colors are encoded in the PAL format (and carried at something like 4.5MHz). When using component cables, the color systems become irrelevant; component cables allow for the color information to be sent with (nearly) no compression, and as such, you don't need the PAL or NTSC schemes to decode them. As such, PAL60 and NTSC are the exact same signal when displayed over component. And since 480P cannot be displayed with anything less than component, NTSC and PAL don't apply there either.

Cilph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

You are completely right but I can't help but feel that there is some kind of framerate difference between the two. It might be a placebo thing.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You are completely right but I can't help but feel that there is some kind of framerate difference between the two. It might be a placebo thing.
100% placebo. Framerate is identical unless for some reason your loader is improperly applying the video mode patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @BigOnYa ??