Sky3DS backup- file name blank?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by clockitty, May 24, 2015.

1. clockitty
    OP

clockitty Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hi guys,

Sorry for my second thread in as many days but I'm trying to move a game and its save file across SD cards and it's being a bit weird. When I hit 'backup save' and 'backup game' in DiskWriter, it created them as .sav and .3ds respectively. When I tried to restore it on the new card it wouldn't see that file type. So I tried to backup the save again and now it's trying to save as .bks format but the file name box is blank. I have no idea what to type in... Can someone help? It's Pokemon X if that helps.

2. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    Try naming it the same name of the rom you used. What version of diskwriter are you using? DiskWriterV106b5 recognizes and restores .sav just fine for me, I haven't had to mess with .bks files yet.

3. clockitty
    OP

clockitty Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2015
    New Zealand
    Well I feel dumb but I realised what was going on.
    When I went to backup the game and the save on the original SD card, I right-clicked on each in DiskWriter individually. When I was trying to restore, I was using the menu function. They're obviously two different things, so I feel very silly. This time I just used 'Write' to write the .3ds file I'd backed up onto the SD, and then right-clicked it and chose 'restore save' to restore the .sav file.

It did bring up something else interesting though. After the restoration a message from the DiskWriter popped up that had 3 steps- put the Sky card into the 3ds, holding the blue button until the LED flashed, then remove. Then put it in without holding the blue button, and remove. Then put it in as normal and play. However, when I tried the first step, the card wouldn't register. Nothing came up in the 3DS menu and the light didn't flash. I took it out, tried a couple of times, nothing. Eventually I just put it in as normal and the game showed up. Launched it and the save is there, and it seemed to load okay. Anyone know what's going on there? I'm going to play it a bit, see if anything is messed up. I wonder if it's because I only have one game on the card?