Single User mode Mac reset question

_1zak_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question, if im at school and my mac is on a domain, like a big domain, If i go into single user mode on the mac, will it wipe the domain from the macs system, or will the domain still be on the system? If you know what I mean

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As I understand it, single user mode is only for running UNIX commands and will not have full MacOS functionality. That means that the network user account shouldn’t be affected because you’ll need to reboot out of SUM to get back into normal MacOS anyway.

Also, I read you can’t get into SUM if there’s a firmware password set, and most school provided MacBooks would likely have that set.

_1zak_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it, single user mode is only for running UNIX commands and will not have full MacOS functionality. That means that the network user account shouldn’t be affected because you’ll need to reboot out of SUM to get back into normal MacOS anyway.

Also, I read you can’t get into SUM if there’s a firmware password set, and most school provided MacBooks would likely have that set.

Okay, Say I have just a normal student account on the school domain, and I wanted to become admin or find out admin password? How would I go about that?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Your access privileges as a network account are determined by your school. To be elevated to an admin, you either need to be added to an admin security group in their AD (which’ll never happen), or you need to know the local admin/root password. The only trick to bypass that got blocked last year. And if there’s a firmware password set (which every school would do since it only takes 2 minutes to set up), then even trying to wipe the drive clean or swapping the drive out won’t work.

tl;dr, You won’t be able to do that.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can remove the firmware password with either:
- a FAT32 USB drive and a licensed Apple serviceman sympathetic to your cause
- a SPI EEPROM programmer, another computer, and a couple hours (for a beginner) of mental work

If full disk encryption is not used, another valid option is to put the disk in another computer and remove the /var/db/.AppleSetupDone from there... of course, you probably got shafted and have a model with soldered-in SSD :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...