Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes it is, updated to 11.8 from 11.7 CFW done with seedhelper method.
I think there is a fix already. As far as I know, you are still running on CFW, luma just needs to be updated. Unless you can compile it yourself.

simalexander3009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried updating using the sysUpdater. I was trying to update from 10.3.0-28U to 11.6.0-39U It manages to install cias just fine but afterwards I get the error message failed to mount CTRNAND and it says something but using an external one and it says press any button to shutdown. I want to know why this is happening. I have used the sysUpdater before and haven't come across this problem before. So could someone please tell how to fix it without telling me to restore my NAND? I just want to know how to update using sysUpdater without getting this error.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I tried updating using the sysUpdater. I was trying to update from 10.3.0-28U to 11.6.0-39U It manages to install cias just fine but afterwards I get the error message failed to mount CTRNAND and it says something but using an external one and it says press any button to shutdown. I want to know why this is happening. I have used the sysUpdater before and haven't come across this problem before. So could someone please tell how to fix it without telling me to restore my NAND? I just want to know how to update using sysUpdater without getting this error.
Why are you using sysupdater? It is outdated. You can use a CTR transfer to 11.5 if you don't want to update to the latest, but there's not any reason to not update to the latest firmware.

Hold Select on boot. What version Luma does it say you have? It is probably an old one.
After each of these, if the guide doesn't tell you to update already, you should update to the latest firmware using the internet, not sysupdater, which is risky.

simalexander3009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using it because I didn't want to update to the latest update that's why and when I updated to 11.7 I managed to downgrade back to 11.6 using it. so that's why I was confused when this happened. I am using Luma 9.1. So can you at least tell me why this happened please thank you.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I was using it because I didn't want to update to the latest update that's why and when I updated to 11.7 I managed to downgrade back to 11.6 using it. so that's why I was confused when this happened. I am using Luma 9.1. So can you at least tell me why this happened please thank you.
Why don't you want to update to the latest version? There's no advantage to being on 11.7 or 11.6. I don't know why it happened, sysupdater hasn't been recommended for years, so I am not sure what sorts of things can go wrong with it.

To fix your actual problem, if it isn't caused by being on an old Luma, and you don't want to restore a backup (or you don't have one), try doing a CTR transfer https://www.3ds.guide/ctrtransfer

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you want to update to the latest version? There's no advantage to being on 11.7 or 11.6. I don't know why it happened, sysupdater hasn't been recommended for years, so I am not sure what sorts of things can go wrong with it.

To fix your actual problem, if it isn't caused by being on an old Luma, and you don't want to restore a backup (or you don't have one), try doing a CTR transfer https://www.3ds.guide/ctrtransfer
11.8 adds ticket checks for eshop downloads. Using freeshop and the like on latest firm will get you banned.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sysupdater hasn't been recommended for years, so I am not sure what sorts of things can go wrong with it.
It still works fine, it's just a bulk cia installer (not significantly different than DevMenu's or FBI's)

Using freeshop and the like on latest firm will get you banned.
"Will" is a strong word (especially when applied to wild speculation - not even supported by factual information), especially when the real problem with most unofficial downloaders is actually that they are physically unable to send a ticket...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Then what is all the 11.8 buzz about?
The 11.8 OS (therefore, not software that does the actual download itself, = all homebrew as of today except Freeshop's spotpass background downloads) does indeed send the ticket to Nintendo; the reason is that it's used as a password to unlock the download (the ticket is signature verified server-side)

Some disinformed and/or clickbaity people somehow extrapolated a ban risk from the above facts, despite no console ID being sent in the download attempt (there may be one in the ticket, but pirate tickets [and legitimate preinstalled software] have all zeros [= usable on any console] in the first places)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I feel like it's worth mentioning that downgrading will not making a system any safer nor will it revert the server side changes done by Nintendo. It's also worth noting that with Nintendo inducing the server side changes, the security measures added in 11.8 will soon be completely redundant.

Reactions: WeedZ

JasperGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EXTREMELY OUTDATED METHOD OF DOWNGRADING. USE PLAILCET'S GUIDE PLEASE.

Hello!
In recent days, there have been many developments within the 3DS homebrew community, with one of them being kernel access! With this, we now have a way to downgrade 3DSs and do whatever we want with kernel on >=9.3 3DSs. What's that? You want to downgrade? Well then, here's how...

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title in order to not get bricked! Not sure if other regions need to do this as well.

ALSO NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR 3DS BRICKS. If it does, I'm sorry, but it is NOT my fault.

CIA STUFF:
Need some firmware CIAs and can't find them? Never fear. Even though I can't directly link them here, I can tell you that if you Goodle (including the quotation marks) "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)" you may just find what you're looking for. ;)
You can verify that you've gotten the right .zip file and that everything is okay by comparing the file's MD5 and SHA-1 hashes (generated on this great site) to this handy chart below.

TUTORIAL:
Before beginning, remove any DNSs (like Tubehax) that you may have on your 3DS. This can interfere with the downgrading process. You may also want to back up your SD card juuuust in case...
  1. Grab the sysUpdater app from here and place it into the '3ds' folder of your SD card.
  2. Make a folder called 'updates' on the root of your SD card.
  3. Place all of the CIAs for the update you wish to downgrade to into the folder.
  4. Eject your SD card, put it into your 3DS, and boot.
  5. Open up the Homebrew Launcher in your entrypoint of choice and start the sysUpdater app.
  6. If everything goes well, you should have some options. Since we're downgrading, you can go ahead and press the Y button.
  7. Wait and DO NOT touch anything. The app will tell you when it is done. (It took me less than 5 minutes)
  8. Once the app prompts you that it is done, wait. It will reboot automatically.
  9. Bite your fingernails in suspense. If everything goes correct...
  10. Your 3DS will be downgraded! :D
COMMON PROBLEMS:
Issue: The app freezes at a certain step!​
Solution: Try a different entrypoint. I was using Ironhax and got this problem, so I switched to OoT3DHax and it worked.​
Issue: The prompt comes on screen, but nothing happens when I press a button!​
Solution: Either wait a few moments or reboot the system and try again.​
Issue: I downgraded, but my 3DS screen is completely black upon reboot!​
Solution: Try removing the SD card, or you can reboot into recovery mode. To do this, hold A+R+L+Up as your 3DS turns on.​
(please recommend any other issues and solutions to add here please!)​
VIDEOS:

CREDITS:
DATA GATHERING:
There is an optional little thing you can do here that helps collect data about the 3DS downgrade process. Do it if you feel like it. :)

can u downgrade an UNmodded 3ds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: