Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
o3ds.. really, i thought it would be n3ds... im going down to 9.2
Nah, the 2DS came out well before the N3DS and lacks the C-stick and updated system hardware. Basically as far as anything knows it's just a standard O3DS in every possible way. You have no physical WiFi switch or 3D slider, but from the point of view of software they think the hardware switch is just in a particular position depending on that setting and the 3D slider is stuck in the off position with the user never moving it. As far as address offsets, system software, and etc all goes, you're running an O3DS. Same goes for when you use any sort of exploit. You need to use the O3DS version. (Eg Ninjhax, Browserhax, etc etc.)

As for the 4.x thing, I was just mentioning that as just a point about the 2DS that one has to bear in mind in general. You can still downgrade the mset thanks to rxTools, but on > 4.x old launcher.dat software simply won't work even with a downgraded mset. Though now that we have MenuHax thankfully we don't need downgraded msets or actually downgrading a full system NAND below 9.0 anyway. It just blows all those old exploits away IMO. So yeah, this probably won't affect you, but it is something to remember just in case.

Last edited by Nazosan,
Reactions: Pecrow

XyracX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just copying the SD files won't work. They're encrypted and won't work after the reformat. And svdt won't work for me with things like Mii Plaza.

I dont tried to restore the Backup for now, cause I have enough for today :D But from what I read, you can successfully restore the "titel" and the "dbs" folder. Only the exdata cause problems. Don't really know for now, how far that will help.

For the Mii Plaza I found this : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/625899-streetpass-mii-plaza/67870280

Will have to try it out tomorrow.

Maybe someone restored the title & db folder from a backup, and can tell, what it will do / bring ?

Last edited by XyracX,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someoen please confirm if it is safe to use browser to use browserhax to launch HBL to reinstall menuhax and oothax after the DG

Yhaby05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, if i have the right 9.2 cia files on my new 3ds, whats the chance of hardbrick when i downgrade? Thanks :D

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chances of hard bricking if you follow instructions exactly, verify the files correctly, etc etc are pretty low (I want to say zero, but who knows?) Chances of soft bricking... Well, by the numbers around 20%.

Yhaby05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chances of hard bricking if you follow instructions exactly, verify the files correctly, etc etc are pretty low (I want to say zero, but who knows?) Chances of soft bricking... Well, by the numbers around 20%.

Hi, are there any known reports on hardbricked new 3ds even with right 9.2 cia files? Im pretty scared to try but i really want to play mhx eng patch :D.thank you :D

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont tried to restore the Backup for now, cause I have enough for today :D But from what I read, you can successfully restore the "titel" and the "dbs" folder. Only the exdata cause problems. Don't really know for now, how far that will help.

For the Mii Plaza I found this : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/625899-streetpass-mii-plaza/67870280

Will have to try it out tomorrow.

Maybe someone restored the title & db folder from a backup, and can tell, what it will do / bring ?

I'm not sure that will actually work for mii plaza. Sadly I gave mine up. I had over 1000 tags :( oh well, at least I've got emunand on my 2nd n3ds now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can someoen please confirm if it is safe to use browser to use browserhax to launch HBL to reinstall menuhax and oothax after the DG

yes, why wouldn't it be safe?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi, are there any known reports on hardbricked new 3ds even with right 9.2 cia files? Im pretty scared to try but i really want to play mhx eng patch :D.thank you :D
It's hard to say, I don't think I've seen any.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just successfully downgradet my n3DS now, with this method : https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-i-believe-is-the-best-downgrade-process-right-now.408203/

Also one important step is missing in the tutorial that I found out : "There is one important point that is missing in this tutorial and save you alot of time trying to launch sysUpdater without blackscreen or freeze. You HAVE TO ! open the eshop and click you through up to the point, where eshop create some data to your SD. After that, just reboot with L in to menuhax (Homebrewlauncher), run ftBrony, double click B, than start sysUpdater and there you go... first try, every time ! Tried 10 times without the eshop data before and the 3DS got frozen every time."

After that, all worked at first try, no errors after rebooting even with SD card inside.

Just use this version : https://gbatemp.net/attachments/sysupdater-zip.34449/ (You can also find it on page 95 of this thread)
someone needs to link your post to the OP
you are a god
also this video from a few pages back

and the link for sysupdater from page 95,

this is what worked for me, it was not working even after the tricks in the video above, but after i did the eshop thing it worked on the 1st try for me
i went to the eshop let it create the data , then i went to ftpbrony after launching the HBL from menuhax let it go till i saw the horse logo and hit b twice like you said i went to sysupdater and it worked like a charm after that!
i must have tried like 100 times before reading this with no luck and then it worked on the 1t try!
also it is a US N3ds XL red from launchday that was on 9.2 previously, now i just need to test and make sure it really worked and if i can get rxtools emunand and cias to work
now

Last edited by weatMod,
Reactions: Sniffynose

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't really a way to reliably answer this.

If you don't have a spare $200 in case you mess up you shouldn't be playing around with any of this. OR you should get a hardmod installed first and make a backup of your NAND prior to trying this.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reports I've personally seen of hard bricking involve Japanese N3DS systems downgrading. If you don't delete the 000400102002CA00.cia file from the updates folder before beginning the process you'll probably get a hard brick. But this too is in the first post instructions in the red text. I won't promise it's impossible to find some other way to hard brick though.

Speaking of chances of soft bricking, don't forget that once Nintendo has a new update (assuming it fixes the exploit, but there's about a 0.000001% chance that it won't) then if you soft-brick, the only way to fix the system without a hard mod is to load the new update that will surely ensure you can't attempt the downgrade again. That's the catch: you basically have to hurry, but the process is not 100% perfect. Kind of sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Last edited by Nazosan,

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow that worked ! i am on 9.2 now on US N3ds xl ,but i have a problem, now oothax and menuhax wont work
so what should i do now?
use browserhax to load HBL again and reinstall oothax and menuhax again?
anything i should know about using the browser, can't it brick or something if i am not on the latest FW? isn't there some trick you are supposed to do now? to make the browser work if you are not on latest FW? or is that for above 9.2 and below 10.3 only?
There is an issue with 9.9 and above where the browser does a check against nintendo to see if it is the latest version and it will block usage. A browser from 9.2 doesn't have this problem so you should be safe. Reinstalling the hax is the easiest thing to do but the issue is the payloads are different for each different firmware.

Yhaby05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only reports I've personally seen of hard bricking involve Japanese N3DS systems downgrading. If you don't delete the 000400102002CA00.cia file from the updates folder before beginning the process you'll probably get a hard brick. But this too is in the first post instructions in the red text.

I have US version new 3ds, so im good? :D

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US N3DS definitely doesn't brick over that title (note the 0004? That's the region code. :-p) Again though, I can't absolutely guarantee that there is absolutely no way to hard brick, just that I've not personally seen someone who actually followed the instructions to the letter and verified that they definitely had the correct files report a hard brick. Soft bricks, though, are really persistent for anyone who does get them. (Try the eShop thing maybe?)

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an issue with 9.9 and above where the browser does a check against nintendo to see if it is the latest version and it will block usage. A browser from 9.2 doesn't have this problem so you should be safe. Reinstalling the hax is the easiest thing to do but the issue is the payloads are different for each different firmware.
yes that is what i was thinking of
thanks i already got menuhax and oothax reinstalled with browserhax and they are working. now if i can only remember where i saw that homebrew tool to check if the DG was really 100% successful , i hope i'm not one of those people who got it downgraded but can't get rxtools emunand and cia's working but i think there is a .3dsx tool that should tell if it was 100% successful right?

Last edited by weatMod,

Yhaby05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The US N3DS definitely doesn't brick over that title (note the 0004? That's the region code. :-p) Again though, I can't absolutely guarantee that there is absolutely no way to hard brick, just that I've not personally seen someone who actually followed the instructions to the letter and verified that they definitely had the correct files report a hard brick. Soft bricks, though, are really persistent for anyone who does get them. (Try the eShop thing maybe?)

Thanks, i think i will give it a try :D

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes that is what i was thinking of
thanks i already got menuhax and oothax reinstalled with browserhax and they are working now if i can only remeber where i saw that homebrew tool to check if the GD was really 100 successful , i hope im not one of those peopel who got it downgraded but cant get rxtools emunand and cias working but i think there is a .3dsx tool that should tell if it was 100% successful right?
I have not seen the tool you are talking about. sounds useful though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That cat bites