Hacking Shuriken USB (USB Gecko SE (clone))

Zephiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One issue that I've found is that with the watch, inputting values for Floats is limited to hex values only. Because of this, I made a little program that converts Floats to hex values and vice versa.

You can either click the convert buttons to convert, or press enter in the textboxes. The converted number will be placed in the opposite textbox. Any invalid entries (such as letters instead of numbers) will be ignored by it.

3XVbufV.png

The link to this can be found here.

Last edited by Zephiles,
Reactions: HackingNewbie

HackingNewbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One issue that I've found is that with the watch, inputting values for Floats is limited to hex values only. Because of this, I made a little program that converts Floats to hex values and vice versa.

You can either click the convert buttons to convert, or press enter in the textboxes. The converted number will be placed in the opposite textbox. Any invalid entries (such as letters instead of numbers) will be ignored by it.

3XVbufV.png

Thank you, it's annoying always having to go to geckocodes.org

HackingNewbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

3XVbufV.png

what programming language did you use and what library did you use to make a GUI as opposed to a console window?

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Is this compatible with DIOS MIOS? I tried enabling 'Debug' in USB Loader GX, but Gecko.NET says 'Connection to the USB Gecko has failed! Do you want to retry?', so I assume that it isn't fully supported. Is there a way to use this on GC games when run off USB?

Edit: Just found out that Nintendont should work. Will test soon.

Edit 2: Nintendont lets me connect, but only when I enable 'Debugger Wait', and Nintendont also won't even boot unless I unplug the Shuriken USB from my PC before starting it. However, the game (Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness US, ID GXXE01) won't start, and when I press 'Run game' in Gecko.NET, the application freezes temporarily, then disconnects from the Shuriken USB. The Wii then needs to be powered off, then turned on again (resetting freezes it, and requires a hard reset). The Gecko.NET log has an entry that says 'FTDIInvalidReply' within it. I can post the log if anyone wants to look.

Last edited by Maq47,

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dont have a clue only build the hardware and test with wii homebrew channel and gecko os. Post the logs though someone else maybe able to help, hope you get it working !

Zephiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this compatible with DIOS MIOS? I tried enabling 'Debug' in USB Loader GX, but Gecko.NET says 'Connection to the USB Gecko has failed! Do you want to retry?', so I assume that it isn't fully supported. Is there a way to use this on GC games when run off USB?

Edit: Just found out that Nintendont should work. Will test soon.

Edit 2: Nintendont lets me connect, but only when I enable 'Debugger Wait', and Nintendont also won't even boot unless I unplug the Shuriken USB from my PC before starting it. However, the game (Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness US, ID GXXE01) won't start, and when I press 'Run game' in Gecko.NET, the application freezes temporarily, then disconnects from the Shuriken USB. The Wii then needs to be powered off, then turned on again (resetting freezes it, and requires a hard reset). The Gecko.NET log has an entry that says 'FTDIInvalidReply' within it. I can post the log if anyone wants to look.
As I stated before, the only way I could get this to work on my Wii for GameCube games was to use Neogamma with a CMIOS installed. I couldn't get it to work with Nintendont at all.

al8321

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I recently purchased the Shuriken USB but it doesn't seem to work for me, it won't connect. I've installed all the necessary stuff, plugged the device into the B slot on my Wii. The lizard symbol does not light up in Homebrew, I've tried both of the debuggers and they can't connect. What could be the problem? Could it be that it is something wrong with the device?

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
I recently purchased the Shuriken USB but it doesn't seem to work for me, it won't connect. I've installed all the necessary stuff, plugged the device into the B slot on my Wii. The lizard symbol does not light up in Homebrew, I've tried both of the debuggers and they can't connect. What could be the problem? Could it be that it is something wrong with the device?
I'm having the same problem as well. It only doesn't work in the hbc. The USB Gecko actually works fine if you boot Gecko OS and connect to it.

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly from 26th October 2017 xillinx have discontinued the xc9500 series cpld which is used inside the shuriken usb device with no direct replacement I have decided to stop selling the devices. At the time of writing 8 December 2017 I currently have enough parts to make only eight more devices after which the shuriken usb will be no more.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/customer_notices/xcn11010.pdf

thank you to the 150 or so people that bought one over the years, over the weekend I will get the parts list together and open source the pcb. That way if you can get hold the cpld via ebay you can still build your own, oh and marry xmas to all.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly from 26th October 2017 xillinx have discontinued the xc9500 series cpld which is used inside the shuriken usb device with no direct replacement I have decided to stop selling the devices. At the time of writing 8 December 2017 I currently have enough parts to make only eight more devices after which the shuriken usb will be no more.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/customer_notices/xcn11010.pdf

thank you to the 150 or so people that bought one over the years, over the weekend I will get the parts list together and open source the pcb. That way if you can get hold the cpld via ebay you can still build your own, oh and marry xmas to all.
Thank you for this great contribution to the scene. Sad to hear there won't be any more soon :(

Last edited by CosmoCortney,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that stinks. :/ I really could have used either one of your devices or a USB Gecko and I haven't seen one of those for sale for a while.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you for providing an alternative to USBGecko out-of-sale until now :)
thanks for planning on making it open source too.

Greywolf, you should really get one now if you still haven't since march :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!