Suggestion Should we ban religious / LGBT / political threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMageKefka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This started as a status message, but it sparked some interesting discussion, so at the advice of someone on my status, I made a thread to see what everyone else thinks.

Now, its not my place to decide the rules of this site, nor am I the kind of person to usually censor what people talk about. However, I am seeing more and more of these threads every day, and its getting out of hand. They always, without fail, devolve into bigotry and arguing. With this being a video game website, and these sorts of threads causing so much drama, maybe it would be for the best?

An example I would like to give is the thread from the other day about the Afghanistan bombing. After several pages it devolved into several people saying how gays should be executed. The thread was deleted shortly after. My question is, why aren't those people being punished and having their comments deleted? Why was the entire thread removed? Some of that conversation was legit discussion. I have a feeling the staff here is tired of the crap too (please correct me if I am wrong).

So what do you all think? I don't wanna censor people really, but at the same time I think it would make the site a more friendly, enjoyable experience for everyone. Maybe another option would be to create a separate forum for this stuff, so at least it doesn't appear on the front page? Please, let me know how you all feel too.

EDIT: At this point, after discussing this for so many hours, my opinion on the matter is that outright banning this sort of thing is not the answer. I do, however, feel that off-topic discussions of this nature don't belong on the front page of a gaming / hacking forum. A lot of people are tired of seeing it and it just plain makes us looks bad as a community when 4 out of the 10 topics on the front page are off-topic shit shows of bigotry and hate. This is obviously not too often the case, but it does seem to be happening more frequently.

Last edited by MadMageKefka,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It depends. If your reply is a legitimate one and you don't realize the user is trolling, then I don't think it's the user's fault. The one who should get warned is the one who caused the issue.
If your reply is as equally offensive, then you deserve one as well (maybe not as bad - one warning doesn't always mean one warning point, maybe an inciter could get two while a replier gets one? idk).

In any case, I've seen at least three users troll in the last 4 political/religious threads (including the Yooka-Laylee/JonTron one) as well as another user who joined in the last two. Usually, when a member breaks the same rule several times you don't get the same punishment each time, you obviously get worse with each offense. The fact that they continue doing it to this very moment tells me that they either really want to be banned, or that the mods haven't swung the warn hammer hard enough.
And that's why they can't just outright remove a post. Grey areas like this exist and the staff's job is to determine if it breaks the rules, if it will cause issues, if it's worth removing, etc. Nothing is blacking and white. They also have to deal with members making mistakes, like you said, replying to a troll post without realizing it.

Reactions: Issac

MadMageKefka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A section seems like a good idea, but the issue isn't the topics they are about, it's about how they turn out. Giving an entire section would only last like 1 thread and then get nuked

It's really not that special, just another section like every other section (I am actually an Admin over at Filetrip)
I, personally, would be happy enough with a way to filter this stuff out. The problem isnt so much the content (though it can get a bit rediculous) as much as the fact that I come here to browse a GAMING forum, not listen to people throw shade. If I wanted to listen to that crap, I'd join reddit.

Reactions: Soulsilve2010

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It depends. If your reply is a legitimate one and you don't realize the user is trolling, then I don't think it's the user's fault. The one who should get warned is the one who caused the issue.
If your reply is as equally offensive, then you deserve one as well (maybe not as bad - one warning doesn't always mean one warning point, maybe an inciter could get two while a replier gets one? idk).

In any case, I've seen at least three users troll in the last 4 political/religious threads (including the Yooka-Laylee/JonTron one) as well as another user who joined in the last two. Usually, when a member breaks the same rule several times you don't get the same punishment each time, you obviously get worse with each offense. The fact that they continue doing it to this very moment tells me that they either really want to be banned, or that the mods haven't swung the warn hammer hard enough.

Have you reported them?

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Have you reported them?
Of course not. Why would I? I hate wasting time when I could be doing other probably more interesting things.

I've actually reported several posts/threads some time ago (not related to this, mostly in the 3DS and Vita sections) and they don't seem to care about them. Maybe they didn't think it was bad enough to be removed or something, but what I've learned is that reporting never works (not like replying is better anyways).

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are already plenty of boards out there to complain about not fitting in. There are boards for EVERY kind of sexuality. And that's fine. Did you ever notice how people on here get banned or post deleted for not staying on topic? The topic here is hacking consoles. Not showing off your fur suit. Not for talking about your inabilities to fit in. I don't care if you want to dress up as mickey mouse pop some pills and let a pit bull violate you. Do it somewhere else. Everyone has their kink. Keep it to yourself or share with people in an appropriate manner in an appropriate venue. Not on a Nintendo based board. Get a grip. There are kids here. You don't need to wave your flag. Go to your favorite deviant site and have at it. (yes, you are a deviant. And no you do not have a right to feel comfortable about yourself. What makes you so fucking special?) Ban those topics. Its a stupid waste of time. Go fight your crusades for "equality" somewhere else and let's talk about gaming. I don't care who you voted for ,pray to,fuck, let fuck you, makes you feel sad, makes you feel like an outcast or a moron. let's be honest, there were no good candidates, my god is better than yours(lol jk) your gf is probably a dude, and that's not his cock in you, you're gonna be sad no matter what because nobody cares nor identifies with you and you are probably an idiot if you give a fuck. You are not normal. You are a freak. Own it but keep it to yourself unless you want the rest of us maladjusted rare prototypes never meant for mass production to freak the hell out. Keep your shit to yourself. Nobody cares.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are already plenty of boards out there to complain about not fitting in. There are boards for EVERY kind of sexuality. And that's fine. Did you ever notice how people on here get banned or post deleted for not staying on topic? The topic here is hacking consoles. Not showing off your fur suit. Not for talking about your inabilities to fit in. I don't care if you want to dress up as mickey mouse pop some pills and let a pit bull violate you. Do it somewhere else. Everyone has their kink. Keep it to yourself or share with people in an appropriate manner in an appropriate venue. Not on a Nintendo based board. Get a grip. There are kids here. You don't need to wave your flag. Go to your favorite deviant site and have at it. (yes, you are a deviant. And no you do not have a right to feel comfortable about yourself. What makes you so fucking special?) Ban those topics. Its a stupid waste of time. Go fight your crusades for "equality" somewhere else and let's talk about gaming. I don't care who you voted for ,pray to,fuck, let fuck you, makes you feel sad, makes you feel like an outcast or a moron. let's be honest, there were no good candidates, my god is better than yours(lol jk) your gf is probably a dude, and that's not his cock in you, you're gonna be sad no matter what because nobody cares nor identifies with you and you are probably an idiot if you give a fuck. You are not normal. You are a freak. Own it but keep it to yourself unless you want the rest of us maladjusted rare prototypes never meant for mass production to freak the hell out. Keep your shit to yourself. Nobody cares.
Please, get on good terms with the Enter key. /s

Reactions: ihaveahax

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If that's the case, then practically nobody on this thread has the right to complain and this thread was a huge waste of time.
he is simply saying, if you aint going to report offensive posts, don't be surprised if they don't get removed, staff don't go reading every thread on the site

you may want to add a /s if you want to be sarcastic or it may be missed

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I, personally, would be happy enough with a way to filter this stuff out. The problem isnt so much the content (though it can get a bit rediculous) as much as the fact that I come here to browse a GAMING forum, not listen to people throw shade. If I wanted to listen to that crap, I'd join reddit.
This is why we an entire section dedicated to off topic, art, tv, and bullshitting. There's really no need to break those sections down anymore. It's all already contained in their own little areas and it's worked fine for years now. One does not have to venture into those areas, I know when I first joined I almost never left the M3 section and I was pretty happy with that...(I miss the M3 section...)
Also I would like mention that people can kind of filter out areas they don't want to see on their feed.
Screenshot from 2017-04-19 21-21-44.png

That little red diamond can change what you see. If anything we could improve upon that and allow user to add the sections they want want to focus on. Like I would personally like to see only recently 3DS CFW posts on my feed. That's the topic I view the most and I am the most active in, so it would be nice to have the option to only view that section. Or just allow users to only see the gaming section by allowing them to choose the sections they don't want to see.

Last edited by The Catboy,

MadMageKefka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I respect your opinions and am myself not a fan of some of the groups you mentioned, but let's dial back the hate a bit please. Bashing on people is the exact opposite purpose of this thread.

This is why we an entire section dedicated to off topic, art, tv, and bullshitting. There's really no need to break those sections down anymore. It's all already contained in their own little areas and it's worked fine for years now. One does not have to venture into those areas, I know when I first joined I almost never left the M3 section and I was pretty happy with that...(I miss the M3 section...)
Also I would like mention that people can kind of filter out areas they don't want to see on their feed.
View attachment 84642
That little red diamond can change what you see. If anything we could improve upon that and allow user to add the sections they want want to focus on. Like I would personally like to see only recently 3DS CFW posts on my feed. That's the topic I view the most and I am the most active in, so it would be nice to have the option to only view that section. Or just allow users to only see the gaming section by allowing them to choose the sections they don't want to see.
Maybe I would like to see off topic threads, just not political / religious / whatever threads. Tv, art, etc usually don't get out of hand, it seems like the other topics do 100% of the time.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
he is simply saying, if you aint going to report offensive posts, don't be surprised if they don't get removed, staff don't go reading every thread on the site
There's no need for me to report them, he just said they had a pretty big increase in reports about religion and political threads.
Which is why I'm making my whole point about not warning the offenders.

1) They definitely get the reports.
2) They know the posts are pretty bad.
3) They wait until it gets out of hand to delete the thread.
4) The same members that posted on said thread start posting again in another one in less than 12 hours like nothing happened.

I don't know what you think, but there's a couple of flaws here...

Reactions: VinsCool
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.