i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should we go to jail for harming ourselves via use of drugs?

Should the government have any say over what we do with our bodies?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
In the case of drugs, it should be legalised. Drug addiction itself should be treated as a public health issue rather then as a crime.
All drugs have been made legal here in Oregon, and now we have druggies camping out on every highway onramp and street corner downtown. It's fucking disgusting. And Portland's mayor Ted Wheeler won't do anything about the recent surge in trash and graffiti that's destroying our city either, which really pisses me off. Can hardly walk around in Portland anymore without having to awkwardly walk past/around tent cities on the god-damn sidewalks. So yeah, long-story short, legalizing drugs is NOT the answer, it just turned our city into more of a cesspool. That, and the "Proud Boys" (A klan of racist facists) keep coming here and stirring up needless trouble.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
utopian thinking - sadly taking drugs can sadly have victims other than the one who does drugs. haven't you seen people getting ultra aggressive after doing drugs/drinking alcohol?

If you get drunk and harm / harass other people it's a crime regardless. Most people don't get aggressive though. Same with drugs. I've crossed Downtown East Side in Vancouver and saw a terrible epidemic but nothing happen to me.

Drugs start to be a problem when people have no help with their addiction and get into crime to support it.

All drugs have been made legal here in Oregon, and now we have druggies camping out on every highway onramp and street corner downtown. It's fucking disgusting. And Portland's mayor Ted Wheeler won't do anything about the recent surge in trash and graffiti that's destroying our city either, which really pisses me off. Can hardly walk around in Portland anymore without having to awkwardly walk past/around tent cities on the god-damn sidewalks. So yeah, long-story short, legalizing drugs is NOT the answer, it just turned our city into more of a cesspool. That, and the "Proud Boys" (A klan of racist facists) keep coming here and stirring up needless trouble.

As far as I'm aware they haven't been legalised, only the consumption and small possession decriminalised, those are different things. The success in Portugal on beating the heroin epidemic wasn't only decriminalising it but treating as an health and public health issue. Free medical support, psychological support, methadone programes, recovery and integration centers, etc.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's no such thing as victimless crime.
There are plenty of laws that are on the books and don’t have victims.

In my opinion, all drugs should be legal and addiction should be treated as a medical issue. Any crime committed by someone under the influence should be treated as such.

Arko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Jaywalking is a victimless crime, provided nobody gets injured and the jaywalker makes it across the street safely.

As a driver, if you jaywalk you are thieving me of my safety and peace of mind. I'm the victim there. There's no such thing as victimless crime.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There are plenty of laws that are on the books and don’t have victims.

In my opinion, all drugs should be legal and addiction should be treated as a medical issue. Any crime committed by someone under the influence should be treated as such.

By using drugs not only you are channelling tax payers' money (which they pay for social advancements) to instutions like rehabs and prison. Society is a victim there.

By using drugs you are making streets unsafe and making my kids afraid of going out at night--at day if you live in the s/newage Babylon that's America. Our kids are victims there.

By using drugs and getting addicted to them in a Brave New World, euphoric zombie sense, you're also thieving society of its defensive power against invading forces (as seen in Opium Wars). Country's wellbeing is the victim there.

THERE IS NO VICTIMLESS CRIME.

Last edited by Arko,

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Congratulations this is what liberalism caused.

Reactions: Deleted User

Arko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In Wyoming, is illegal for women to stand within five feet of a bar while drinking.

If a drunk bitch gets hit by a car or falls down, insurance is the victim (by indirect force all the people, you and I, who fill that pool with premiums).

There is no such thing as victimless crime.

Last edited by Arko,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by victimless crime, I'm assuming you mean where you'd go to jail or prison for it if caught and convicted? Or, rather, things you do to your own body but not others?

Look at vancouver for what can be achieved when you de-criminalize drugs and pump a good amount of money into helping people not do them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Legalization without any proper means of treatment or proper means of helping people is the problem. It's not enough to just legalize them, there needs to be healthcare and housing available as well.

As a driver, if you jaywalk you are thieving me of my safety and peace of mind. I'm the victim there. There's no such thing as victimless crime.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

By using drugs not only you are channelling tax payers' money (which they pay for social advancements) to instutions like rehabs and prison. Society is a victim there.

By using drugs you are making streets unsafe and making my kids afraid of going out at night--at day if you live in the s/newage Babylon that's America. Our kids are victims there.

By using drugs and getting addicted to them in a Brave New World, euphoric zombie sense, you're also thieving society of its defensive power against invading forces (as seen in Opium Wars). Country's wellbeing is the victim there.

Drugs are still a drain on the system while they are illegal, if anything, they are a greater drain on the system. Treating addiction as a medical issue and having proper healthcare is far better than keeping them illegal and having repeat offenders constantly in and out of prison.
Drugs being illegal has contributed the most to the crime issue. This was the same issue when prohibition was a thing and crimes revolving around the sale of alcohol dropped after prohibition was lifted.
This point is just fearmongering.

The issues you are bringing up still exist despite drugs being illegal and it's because aren't dealing with the underlining problems. We aren't dealing with the lack of proper healthcare, we aren't dealing with the lack of proper housing, and the countless problems contributing to the drug problem. The only thing we've done is make a system where people are turning to drugs to self-medicate or cope with their problems.

Reactions: Jayro

MMX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who is gonna pay for druggies rehabilitation?

in germany they don't want to pay for the tests of unvaccinated people because they could've gotten vaccinated.
Why should I pay for a junkie if he could quit? Why pay for lung cancer stuff when somebody should just stop smoking or be obese

Reactions: Deleted User

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LMAO, yeah. You know all those fucking potheads who go out at night wanting to beat kids up because they injected the marijuana.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
by victimless crime, I'm assuming you mean where you'd go to jail or prison for it if caught and convicted? Or, rather, things you do to your own body but not others?

Look at vancouver for what can be achieved when you de-criminalize drugs and pump a good amount of money into helping people not do them.
Whatever. More people die there of Fentanyl overdose today and everyday than anywhere else in Canada. Good Luck Vancouver

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
this depends if you think positive rights should be a thing. Right to life and free speech are simple because for a person to have them, no input from anyone else is needed. Right to healthcare, housing, internet and all such similar require other people to work. My view is that these should not be human rights, but services you can get. The issue with drugs comes with the right to healthcare. If you have the right to get healthcare anytime you want for free, then it's not hard to see how the government would limit your right to harm yourself. Since the government is now responsible if you get sick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*