Should parents have the right to track their children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An 11 year old girl went missing in Texas recently and it made me think, if she had a tracking tag (Apple Tag / Samsung Smart Tag) attached to her clothes or what have you they'd know where she'd be.

And once the children reach the age 16 ~ 18 years old they'd not need to use it anymore as they've grown and are aware of the dangers.

I'm not a fan of tracking, but in this case it's an exception I'd agree with.

• Wow
Reactions: SylverReZ

gameboy64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well if a minor is using the phone/or some modern portable console then yeah sure some sort of safety percaution should be included

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if a minor is using the phone/or some modern portable console then yeah sure some sort of safety percaution should be included
Well, yes that's a tracking device too, but if the child gets kidnapped the kidnapper(s) will probably throw away the phone so that's the problem as that's a bit too big and noticeable.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This seems a little extreme for such a rare occurrence as a kidnapping, but if it saves just one child's life, then I'm all for it. To answer the question, parents definitely should have the right to track their children, to ensure they remain safe.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I use apple tag on my kids backpack not for kidnapping reasons, but to find those packs when they lose it (it happens a lot, specially with my older son).

I don't know if it is functional for avoiding a crime or helping to solve a crime. The tag warns the nearby phone that there is a tag around, and if you chose an option, it will start to make noises, so the criminal will easily get rid of the tag, no matter how hidden it is.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use apple tag on my kids backpack not for kidnapping reasons, but to find those packs when they lose it (it happens a lot, specially with my older son).

I don't know if it is functional for avoiding a crime or helping to solve a crime. The tag warns the nearby phone that there is a tag around, and if you chose an option, it will start to make noises, so the criminal will easily get rid of the tag, no matter how hidden it is.
I read there was a way to remove the noise feature by opening the tag and disconnecting something? Isn't that possible?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is, but it still will notify that there is a tag around. As a hidden tracker those tags will work only by accident, they just are not reliable for that usecase.
Damn, that sucks.

The only other option is chipping and that feels a bit extreme. 😕

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Damn, that sucks.

The only other option is chipping and that feels a bit extreme. 😕
There are satellite trackers. Those are reliable. I mounted one on my car, but the model I used is too big for a erson to wear. It's the size of a big chocolate bar. Maybe there are smaller with batteries. The models I know that are tiny do not have battery.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no. Time and time again the think of the children excuse is used for tracking, and while here its much more applicable, id argue its not a good thing. Maybe its because I didn't have any privacy except for the bare minimum growing up, but I find it acceptable only for smaller children, later on though I find it borderline unethical. Again, the case for it being helpful is there and much more prevalent, but its almost an edge case and has a ton of negatives. I know my parents being religious nuts would loose it if I had gone somewhere like a friends house they didn't recognize and then use that against me. So yes it has its positives but negatives as well, although I think I will always be biased when it comes to privacy concerns

Reactions: RengeLK

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, yes that's a tracking device too, but if the child gets kidnapped the kidnapper(s) will probably throw away the phone so that's the problem as that's a bit too big and noticeable.
Yes and if parents start putting trackers in their kids clothes then kidnappers will just throw away the kids clothes and put them in new clothes this making it even harder to find them. Remember a lot of witnesses to crime don't remember people they remember what clothes people had on.

So putting trackers in their clothes would have zero use in the event of a kidnapping.

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a mixed bag. When I was still in my teens my old man was already prepared to celebrate because I didn't pick up my cellphone thinking I jumped off a bridge according to his logic, so parents being protective is alien to me. Be practical, If your kid is that ''valuable'', just stick a entourage of bodyguards to your kid and let him go everywhere in a tank :glare:

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The picture of the guy. So he's a white supremacist and most likely a Trumper. And get this.... drinks Bud Light. :lol:

812ae1ea5d9cafe0481f5d64022fe536.png

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No tracking unless the kid agrees to it and I would indeed advise to put it on something, not like tagging yourself by implant or something.

But...otherwise this can be abused by bad parents too, I mean what if the kid is abused by the parents and wants to escape. Think of such cases too.

Maybe this is such a case too.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No tracking unless the kid agrees to it

May I ask your age? Why even give the child a choice? It's a parents decision and right (at least in the USA) to monitor pretty much everything their child does as long as they are under 18 and still living at home. Under those circumstances a child does not qualify for any type of legal protection for their parent monitoring them both online and offline.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No tracking unless the kid agrees to it and I would indeed advise to put it on something, not like tagging yourself by implant or something.

But...otherwise this can be abused by bad parents too, I mean what if the kid is abused by the parents and wants to escape. Think of such cases too.

Maybe this is such a case too.
Yeah that 2nd point is a big one in my mind, parents can be exceptionally well at lying to law enforcement or schools, and children sometimes are powerless to stop it.

Reactions: Xdqwerty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto