Hacking Should I pre order a DSi XL ?

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I'd like to make it clear that I already have decided to buy a DSi XL, it's a must at this point and I even already purchased an AK2i updated to work with 1.4 firmware just to use it with my future DSi XL ( I currently have a DSL with a G6 Real ).
So beyond my reasoning, that I won't discuss here, and the fact that I absolutely want one , I'm worried that on launch day ( about a week from now ) , when I go to the store, it might be actually sold out !
I' ve seen several places that have pre orders deals, but since this is the 4th iteration of the system, I wonder how many people are actually dying to get one on launch day.
I was thinking of just taking my chance and walk in the Nintendo World Store next Sunday, and if that fails there is Toys 'R' us and ebgames not so far away, here in New York, but if I should happen to walk home empty handed , I will be really disappointed !

Since the system already launched in Europe, what do you guys think I should expect ? Is it very popular out there ? Did you experience lines or sold out situations or has it been a quite launch ?
I might still go out today and try to pre order one just in case ........

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If I wanted one I certainly would preorder. There's a slight chance it won't be easy to find in stock for some time. And even if it is in stock 1, 2 weeks after it comes out, at least you'll be guaranteed to have one the day it comes out.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I really doubt this thing will sell out on launch day... most kids are still prety hyped up on their normal DSi's. And while many parents may've been willing to buy a DSi two or three years after the Lite, expecting them to buy an XL less than a year after the DSi came out is a huge joke.

The only person I know who actually wants one is my grandfather. These things are targeted at older people... the screen size is better for those with eye problems, and the choices of colors it comes in look like the interior of an 85 year-old person's car.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upgrading from DSi to DSi XL is pointless (my case) I'm not gonna do it

But from DSL to DSi XL It's probably worth it, even more if you upgrade from DS Phat

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DS Lite and I am going to get the DSi XL. I am looking forward to it..I am just hoping that the firmware for it will remain 1.4 and that Nintendo won't screw us flash card users and put in firmware 1.5 which might make the cards not work

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ugh, people, read before posting, it's been said enough: there's no fucking firmware update for the DSi XL.

On another note: WTF. DSi XL's been out in Europe for a week, Pokeymanz is out in US for a week, Europe gets Pokeymanz next week, US gets DSi XL next week. I guess Ninty wanted to share the pain
biggrin.gif

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
TM2-Megatron said:
The only person I know who actually wants one is my grandfather. These things are targeted at older people... the screen size is better for those with eye problems, and the choices of colors it comes in look like the interior of an 85 year-old person's car.

Hey your grandfather is 85 and still plays videogames ? ( Or is just the car ?)
Anyway God Bless Him, I wish I'll still be playing videogames when I'm that old.
I'm over thirty and sometime I think I'm getting to old to play, but...........it all depends of what you are playing and how.
I almost bought a DSi because of the slightly bigger screen, (that's because of the slightly bigger screen ! ) and I'm glad I waited because a few months later I found out of the LL in Japan and that's not just slightly bigger.
Besides at this point I need a new DS ( any kind, so if I like the bigger screen why not ? ) because I used to have two DSL and play multiplayer games with my brother ( or play different games at the same time ), but one of them broke a few months ago ( multiple problems, like the power button , the sysytem would shot off randomly and lastly the spring in the slot 1 broke ), so it's been a war between me and my brother for who would get to play it.
I'm glad the war will be over soon.
So yeah, I'll take the chance, considering that a lot of people got the DSi, I doubt that the there will be a huge demand for the XL on launch day.
Just so you know, besides the bigger screen, the thing I'm mostly looking for is the wider viewing angle, because I can barely tolerate it on the DSL as it is.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll get one when I can get it on sale. You'll get a deal if you're always the first to buy everything. I got my Lite for $99

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pliskron said:
I'll get one when I can get it on sale. You'll get a deal if you're always the first to buy everything. I got my Lite for $99

Yeah but my situation is bad you see......there is 2 of us, and only 1 DSL.......
Of course while one of us plays the DSL, the other one plays with the PC or the Wii or even the GBA ( recently my brother finished twice Mrio Vs Donkey Kong on the GBA ), but still there are those awkward moments where we both want to play with the DSL at the same time and we can't.....
I should have gotten one months ago, but in the end I'm glad I waited, because the XL looks right for my needs.
I just can't wait any longer then I have too..........!

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I upgraded from a DSL to a DSi on launch day last year.
There was no crush of people waiting to buy and plenty of stock.
I will be in line at opening time at BestBuy on launch day.

Why?
I use my DSi mainly as a mini netbook. It is wonderful.
Email, audio books, music, and movies are my primary applications for it.

The DSi XL with considerably larger screens will be easier to see and use for these applications.
It is a winner for me, but I believe that there will be plenty available for purchase on that day.
I do not believe that they will sell-out on launch day.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think so. It's only a local store. But I'm pretty sure they always have special events in the Nintendo World store in New York (USA).

...I think I just pointed out the obvious.

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
YayMii said:
I don't think so. It's only a local store. But I'm pretty sure they always have special events in the Nintendo World store in New York (USA).

...I think I just pointed out the obvious.

Gee I gotta find that out, I live in the city merely 10 blocks away from the Nintendo World Store, if there is an event I surely don't wanna miss it.
I should find a way to get into their mailing list and get notified when an event is going to take place.
Does anybody have a link to an event calendar of some sort ? I checked the official site and it doesn't mention anything....
But at this point I also believe that is unlikely to be sold out on day 1.

On a secondary note, it's fascinating that the DSi can do so much more then the DSL ( used like a personal notebook ) but still I wish the DSi XL would use a higher resolution at least while browsing the web and using notebook style application.....the screen size is great, but being the resolution what it is, there is only so much you can do, and still you won't be able to see a full web page ( even across the 2 screens ) because characters would be unreadable.
Well better then nothing I guess.............

UPDATE........

I went today to the Nintendo World Store and pre ordered a brown DSi XL.
They had one on display, but it wasn't on...........and boy is that HUGE !
I'm really looking forward to it, I put $20 down and I can pick it up on Sunday between 11AM and 6PM.......the guy at the counter was really nice, I wonder he must like his job......I would like it too he he he......If I could get in there !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5